Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 04:01 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,208,519 times

Advertisements

Skip the “krakhead” jokes, if you are going to poke fun, be more creative. Professional hockey this fall in Seattle, it’s really happening. Article here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....tant-smash-hit

“ Tod Leiweke doesn’t exactly keep a low profile. He was largely responsible for turning the Seattle Seahawks into the hyper-popular NFL franchise they are today, with fans known for cheering loud enough to create literal seismic activity. He also spurred the feverish excitement around the Seattle Sounders in the MLS and was CEO of the Tampa Bay Lightning for five years. And, oh yeah, he was COO of the NFL as recently as 2018.
And yet, during his time as CEO of the Seahawks and the Sounders, he was an 11:00 p.m. hockey player, the type who joined his pals at the rink on a Sunday night to release stress. During those graveyard-shift beer-league games, Leiweke witnessed Seattle’s overlooked love for hockey. Just as the maniacally passionate Seahawks fans contradicted the tired stereotype of Starbucks-swilling hipsters populating the Pacific Northwest, Leiweke saw, anecdotally, indications of an untapped market that would embrace the NHL.

The NHL board of governors agreed in December 2017 to consider an expansion application from Seattle with a $650-million fee, and the nascent franchise named Leiweke president and CEO a few months later. He didn’t perceive the market as a blank, unexplored desert from which the team would have to cultivate a fan base from scratch, which is what the Vegas Golden Knights were tasked with doing in June 2016 when they scored an NHL franchise in a market known to be populated by transplants from other states and countries. According to Leiweke, traditional research didn’t necessarily paint Seattle as a fertile hockey destination, but he firmly believed the fans were already out there and would swallow up tickets in a frenzy. He was right. When the season-ticket drive kicked off on March 1, 2018, a total of 33,000 depositors signed up in the first 48 hours. Nine months later, on Dec. 4, 2018, the NHL board of governors approved Seattle as the 32nd franchise. Even after the COVID-19 pandemic hit in 2020, the franchise had sold out its season-ticket pool by early 2021.

The team brass, including co-founders and co-majority owners David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer, felt extremely confident in their burgeoning fan base, and the process of naming the team only solidified the feeling. The concept came from the people of Seattle, after all. When Leiweke, who is also part-owner, would engage with Seattle citizens in the months after the NHL approved the franchise, he’d ask them for suggestions on a name. The most common, by far, was the Kraken. As he puts it, the concept of a giant, tentacled sea monster already “lived in the theater of their minds.” It was an idea befitting the wildlife that accompanies a port city.

“Big, big animals live here,” Leiweke said. “Some of the biggest octopi in the world live right here in Elliott Bay. I think the mystery of the sea is what brought many people here, and it is totally synonymous with this city on the sea.“
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 08:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,751,669 times
There seems to be a delay in offering a '21 schedule for the NHL. Yes, Seattle will enter the league, but the league seems to be behind the curve in planning. The typical season begins in October, just three months away. Not sure why there is a delay.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:11 PM

15,630 posts, read 6,346,198 times
I'll be curious just to see what the new arena looks like once it's finished.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:21 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,005,008 times
This is going to be really cool.
I might even go.

I dig hockey.
I am a cheapo so I only go when the wife gets free Shark tickets from her work situation.

My favorite hockey though is amateur and semi pro.
We used to like to go to the old Memorial Stadium in Victoria but those days are long gone.

Are there any amateur or semi pro teams around north western wa?

Thanks.
Andy.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:16 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,617,513 times
Very excited to watch The Kraken play. Speaking of which, will it be plural? Seattle Krakens? Or singular, The Seattle Kraken?

We've seen (and bought ourselves) a lot of Kraken logo wear but looking forward to the Kraken monster getting used.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:54 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,005,008 times
I have no loyalty to the sharks.
I am going to sport a Kraken jersey just to tick off a couple of my friends.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:40 PM

There is this. But ironically Seattle is not even mentioned as a team. WTF?

https://www.gamedaycalendar.com/schedules/nhl/2021

Old 06-06-2021, 06:42 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,063,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
There is this. But ironically Seattle is not even mentioned as a team. WTF?

https://www.gamedaycalendar.com/schedules/nhl/2021
Covid fatigue

Old 06-06-2021, 07:09 PM

15,630 posts, read 6,346,198 times
Is it just me, or does the Kraken mascot vaguely resemble Lovecraft's description of Cthulhu?

Quote:
A monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind

Old 06-06-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Is it just me, or does the Kraken mascot vaguely resemble Lovecraft's description of Cthulhu?

Sounds like a typical NHL game to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area