Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 05:58 AM

8,187 posts, read 8,352,352 times

Advertisements

Article Link Here:

“It’s important to stay hydrated as your body tries to keep you cool by sweating. Drink any water-based liquids, including sports drinks or juices. Caffeine should be consumed in moderation, while alcohol should be avoided, as it will lead to further dehydration.

Children and seniors are less sensitive to thirst and can become dehydrated without realizing it. Be sure to check on them. Avoid spending extended periods of time outside, if possible, or seek breaks in the shade. If you don’t have air conditioning, turn to places that do. Seattle is telling residents about public sites where they can cool off, including library branches, wading pools, spray parks and swimming beaches. Wear loose, airy clothing in light colors, and cool down your body and skin by getting your clothes wet with cold water or a cloth.

Washington state’s Emergency Management Division has issued tips on recognizing the difference between heat exhaustion and heatstroke.

Signs of heat exhaustion include feeling faint or dizzy, excessive sweating, cool and clammy skin, nausea, a rapid weak pulse and muscle cramps. The department recommends treating heat exhaustion by moving to a cooler, air-conditioned place, drinking water and taking a cold shower or using a cold compress.

If untreated, heat exhaustion can develop into heatstroke. Officials recommend seeking immediate medical attention by calling 911, moving to a cooler place and use cool cloths or a bath to cool down. Symptoms include a body temperature above 103 degrees, throbbing headache, confusion, lack of sweating, hot dry skin, nausea or vomiting, a rapid strong pulse and a loss of consciousness.

The likelihood of heatstroke increases as temperatures and humidity increase. Normally, sweat cools the body by evaporating, but high levels of moisture in the air can prevent sweat from doing that.

If the symptoms last more than an hour, we want you to seek medical advice,” Seattle Fire Department Lt. Willie Barrington said Thursday as officials outlined how the city is preparing for the heat.

Monitor your pets

Pets are also not immune to heat-related illness. Experts advise not to overexert your animals with exercise and to make sure your pets are staying hydrated. That can mean ice and water for dogs and fruits and vegetables for birds.

Experts also advise owners to pay attention to whether animals are tethered to spaces in direct sunlight. Walk pets in the morning or late evening hours or on grassy areas when the ground and asphalt is not as hot”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 06:12 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,165,665 times
Seattle already broke the all-time record yesterday and might break it one more time today.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:12 PM

609 posts, read 305,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Article Link Here:

“It’s important to stay hydrated as your body tries to keep you cool by sweating. Drink any water-based liquids, including sports drinks or juices. Caffeine should be consumed in moderation, while alcohol should be avoided, as it will lead to further dehydration.
I'm nitpicking, but caffeine is a very weak diuretic. It's a popular misconception that coffee will dehydrate you. It is mostly water and will keep you hydrated just fine

Old 06-28-2021, 04:35 PM

15,924 posts, read 6,626,259 times
You know what can dehydrate you? A fan.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:34 PM

3,575 posts, read 2,899,327 times
All I can say I'm appreciating working the Bristol Bay fishery at our seasonal office in Naknek. Maybe 60 degrees presently and chilly at night.

Got my neighbor to open my unit to borrow my (rarely used) rolling AC and a decent tower fan I have in my living room.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:48 AM

7,549 posts, read 17,294,106 times
Sigh. I am a little envious of that. I used to love going to King Salmon and Dillingham back when I lived in Soldotna.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Sigh. I am a little envious of that. I used to love going to King Salmon and Dillingham back when I lived in Soldotna.
I'd rather be in Soldotna! I did see in the AK forum the PNW heat wave has hit SE, hopefully that's where it ends.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:07 PM

7,549 posts, read 17,294,106 times
Looks like the high for Soldotna over the next couple weeks is low 60s. I think they are safe for now. Gotta suck to be in SE though, I'd imagine they have lower a/c rates than even Seattle.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Looks like the high for Soldotna over the next couple weeks is low 60s. I think they are safe for now. Gotta suck to be in SE though, I'd imagine they have lower a/c rates than even Seattle.
I was in Wrangell back in '2010, had 5 days of 80 degree weather, the locals had never seen that before.
90+? Ketchikan is melting.

No such thing as "dry" heat there!

Old 06-29-2021, 10:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,200,042 times
Its AMAZING how many people got caught with there pants down! Having no AC in a heat wave is no fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area