Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:50 PM

151 posts, read 525,729 times

Advertisements

Wow -- thanks for the info! Have you explored any of the neighborhoods yet? Which do you like best? Send pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 10:53 AM

28 posts, read 84,542 times
Great list! I have spent most of my adult life in Seattle and the entire last year in NYC. Here's a few more, mostly food related items:

Seattle has much better Vietnamese, Japanese (more affordable at least) and Thai food.
NYC has much better Chinese.

Seattle farmer's markets are better. I found the Union Sq market depressing compared to the University farmer's market.

NYC has a much better selection of European wines (Chamber's Street Wines I love you!); Seattle PacNW and CA wines (esp Esquin & Petes).

Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 PM

506 posts, read 2,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegrrl View Post
8. The ladies don't wear makeup much. It's like everyone's aiming for a "just stepped off the hiking trail" fresh-faced look
You are being nice. "Fresh-faced" is a euphemism as far as I'm concerned in most cases.

Sometimes I think of 2 things when I see a woman with her "casual" look around here:

1. Don't wear something out in public that you would wear lounging around the house or wear something that you would sleep in. Sure it may be super comfy but at least put SOME effort into fashion even if it is Seattle. Heck, I see people wearing house slippers outdoors!

2. Don't wear something that looks like it came from your husband's wardrobe.

I doubt you will see a downtown New Yorker/Chicagoan fall into either of those 2 categories above.

My $0.02!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 PM

111 posts, read 235,210 times
I'm another New Yorker contemplating the move. I will have a decent sum of money from selling my apartment. Any suggestions of neighborhoods for a nice one bedroom apartment. I could spend up to about $1200-1300.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
You are being nice. "Fresh-faced" is a euphemism as far as I'm concerned in most cases.

Sometimes I think of 2 things when I see a woman with her "casual" look around here:

1. Don't wear something out in public that you would wear lounging around the house or wear something that you would sleep in. Sure it may be super comfy but at least put SOME effort into fashion even if it is Seattle. Heck, I see people wearing house slippers outdoors!

2. Don't wear something that looks like it came from your husband's wardrobe.

I doubt you will see a downtown New Yorker/Chicagoan fall into either of those 2 categories above.

My $0.02!
I've lived and worked in several U.S. states and foreign countries. While Seattle is certainly the most casual of all the different places I've been, I've always found it very refreshing that people are comfortable enough to wear whatever they choose...and I find it very refreshing that a good portion of Seattleites thump their nose at fashion...!

Last edited by seattlerain; 05-19-2008 at 09:02 PM..

Old 05-19-2008, 09:23 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I've lived and worked in several U.S. states and foreign countries. While Seattle is certainly the most casual of all the different places I've been, I've always found it very refreshing that people are comfortable enough to wear whatever they choose...and I find it very refreshing that a good portion of Seattleites thump their nose at fashion...!
Hear! Hear! Good for you -- meaning, you show your maturity and wisdom, your independent mind, and your refusal to waste your energies on superficialities. I'm like you, also having lived and worked abroad and in different U.S. states, and I'm glad there are lots and lots more people like us in this area for whom life is about more substantive things than what's on the outside -- one of the gentle, relaxed vibes of the Seattle area.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:58 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
As far as Seattle's fashion vibe, retailers are rediscovering the PNW. Its not all fleece, hiking shoes and backpacks. Italian designer stores will soon be opening stores in the PNW. Canali, Zegna, Gucci, Hermes, Ferragamo will soon be in the PNW. Along with Burberry, Jimmy Choo and Lacoste just to name a few. Under the fleece and gortex lies some very fashion savy people in the pnw. I for one am one in the fashion industry and I see change taking place as we speak. I remember one poster stating it looks like people up here wear clothes from their dirty clothes hamper. Come on now.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Lacoste is high fashion? Seriously, look at their men's line. Popped collars, braided belts, deck shoes, fruity plaid shorts. Wearing that stuff is like an invitation to get punched in the gut.

Give me a guy with a Threadless shirt and a pair of Old Navy jeans any day.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 PM

151 posts, read 525,729 times
Uh oh.

Both the lady and I are fashion wh*res. But that's NY for you...

Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
Uh oh.

Both the lady and I are fashion wh*res. But that's NY for you...
Yeah, well fashion and other fads are not what real life is about here for the vast majority of adults. If you're a kid, sure -- unfortunately. That money could be so much better used, IMO, supporting children's shelters and animal rescues. But that's a matter of values, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: