Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 AM

18 posts, read 48,659 times

Advertisements

So I just moved to Seattle from NYC, and am LOVING it thus far.

I just wanted to share what I see so far as the top 10 differences between NYC and Seattle. Correct me if I'm wrong-- it could just be my office where I am. I would love more input.

Hi Hamza/David,

I've been here a week and 2 days, and love it out here!

So far, there are many small cultural differences between NYC and Seattle:

1. It's a lot slower in Seattle.
2. If you try to rush and push and shove, people will give you dirty looks (but they won't push back).
3. People do NOT jaywalk here. It's hard to restrain myself after 15 years of skillful jaywalking in NYC, but people just won't do it here.
4. On the other hand, there are these things called "crosswalks" where the street has white bars painted on it. If you are a pedestrian standing on the side of the street by a crosswalk, the cars will actually STOP for you and wait for you to cross. You are supposed to wave back at the driver in a friendly way as you cross. In NYC, if you tried to walk in front of a moving car, you would expect the driver to actually speed up to try to hit you! So this is quite a reversal of pedestrian behavior.
5. People are really really into their coffee. You can order your latte to be served to you at 120 degrees rather than the typical 140. I'm not making this up.
6. People are really really into their gardens. This time of year, if you walk around nabes like Wallingford or Ballard, and probably everywhere else (that's just where I've gone so far), you will see tons of flowers.
7. The dress code is much much much more casual than in NYC. I packed all my suits, thinking that in my new job I need to look professional-- and now I see I will be wearing cute sweater sets with skirts from now on. I actually had to go shopping (Macy's downtown, then I discovered Ross Dress for Less-- MUCH cheaper! and more of a mental challenge!) to buy more casual clothes.
8. The ladies don't wear makeup much. It's like everyone's aiming for a "just stepped off the hiking trail" fresh-faced look.
9. People (at least in my office) arrive at 8am. In NYC, I worked in an office where the day started really around 10am. I guess it could just be my office, but I think it makes sense here on the West Coast.
10. On the other hand, people actually leave the office for a full hour for lunch, and they actually leave to go home at 5pm. Unheard of in my previous office.

So that's what I've found so far.

Let's chat in a couple of weeks and we'll try to talk further. Best,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 AM

13 posts, read 36,631 times
Great list!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
What a great list. As for number 3 I came from the east coast a few years ago but I will always jaywalk. Also notice how quiet the downtown streets are, even during rush hour. People don't honk their horns much.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
I'm glad you like it! It's good to love where you live...

As for my office - I get in at 8:30 - but most people start arriving between 9 or 9:30...so I can't say I know what you are talking about.

Plus I've started dressing up - especially be back to work after Maternity Leave. I moved here and thought it sounded great to wear jeans and sweaters everyday to work. While I was at Microsoft it became the norm to see people in sweats!

After 4 years of it - I was feeling pretty frumpy and have now bought new clothes (darn baby weight) and look more professional...many people have noticed and given me compliments and I no longer feel frumpy.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
If you try to rush and push and shove, people will give you dirty looks (but they won't push back).

wtf? where do you work? in a women's prison?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 AM

73 posts, read 248,517 times
Good list for the most part, except I disagree with you on the jaywalking part.

In my experience many Seattle pedestrians are spoiled by the crosswalks and act like they are entitled to jaywalk whenever they want even if it causes others inconvenience. Seriously, if Seattle pedestrians tried to pull the sh_t they pull out here in NYC or Chicago they wouldn't last a day!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:56 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
The reason more people don't jaywalk is because the police here aggressively issue tickets to jaywalkers. It's not like Manhattan where the cops turn a blind eye. In fact, they could be accused of ignoring larger problems like out-in-the-open drug deals so that they can get the easy jaywalking busts.

In my office, most of the people get in around 6 to 7, I am actually one of the latest arrivals at 8. You have to realize with the 3 hour time difference, places which do most of their business on the east coast need to get an earlier start.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:12 PM

845 posts, read 2,742,891 times
"9. People (at least in my office) arrive at 8am. In NYC, I worked in an office where the day started really around 10am. I guess it could just be my office, but I think it makes sense here on the West Coast. "

Yes. Ever since moving to the West Coast I have noticed that work starts a lot earlier out here. When I lived in Atlanta all my jobs started between 8:30 and 10 and here it seems the latest most jobs start is at 8.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:06 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
As a former resident of East Hampton (I graduated from high school out there MANY years ago) I visited The City many times and I have to say your points are RIGHT ON TARGET.

Ken

Old 05-13-2008, 03:59 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
A couple of differences:
1. When trying to get through a crowd, a NYer pushes first, and the yells "scyooze me!"
When trying to get through a crowd, a Seattleite softly asks " excuse me please." and when the people in front of them don't move aside, they just stand there.

2. Pizza: A NYer requesting a slice will state " Lemme gedda slice", and it's understood that it's a large slice of cheese pizza that you eat by folding it lengthwise, it will burn the roof of your mouth, and the olive oli will drip down your arm.

In Seattle, the slice will be somewhat thicker, made of a whole spelt crust, and topped with goat cheese and arugula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: