Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 04:49 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,277,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t. raleigh fingers View Post
Republicans couldn't solve the issue if they wanted to. Republicans have zero say in Seattle politics, and haven't for a long time. If you run as a Republican in Seattle, it's strictly a vanity project. I think the last GOP state legislator from the city was in the early 1970s. The last GOP mayor was Dorm Braman, who left in (IIRC) 1968 to go work for the Nixon admin.
Well, I for one am all for getting rid of all these incumbents and getting some new people in there, regardless of what party they affiliate with. Local and municipal politics shouldn't need to be so partisan anyway.

Looks like one incumbent that you mentioned, Pete Holmes, has conceded his race:

https://news.ballotpedia.org/2021/08...rney-election/

So I don't know what that means as far as "doubling down on far-left policies".

Are there moderates in positions of power in Seattle? (forgive my ignorance, I'm new around here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 04:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 12,171,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Okay, then make it an inpatient treatment center. I just think whatever needs to be done, we should do that as a society. Let's figure it out. I'd support politicians at any level, in any party, with real solutions to this issue that will actually change the general situation. But it won't be politically easy and will cost tax money.
You're right we have to do it as a society, because right now, we don't have the right to hold people involuntarily for long term inpatient drug or mental health treatment.

It will take a societal shift in attitudes and a rewrite of many laws. Right now I don't think we can get a majority to agree to that. Will we ever? Hope so. Can't happen soon enough for me.

The post above is right. Have to stop blaming Republicans. Republicans haven't made a decision in Seattle in a LONG TIME.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:45 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,028,091 times
Quote:
Are there moderates in positions of power in Seattle? (forgive my ignorance, I'm new around here)
Jenny Durkan for one.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:49 PM

930 posts, read 334,533 times
Quote:
Well, I for one am all for getting rid of all these incumbents and getting some new people in there, regardless of what party they affiliate with. Local and municipal politics shouldn't need to be so partisan anyway.

Looks like one incumbent that you mentioned, Pete Holmes, has conceded his race:

https://news.ballotpedia.org/2021/08...rney-election/

So I don't know what that means as far as "doubling down on far-left policies".

I doubt that there are any moderates, but of course it depends how you define moderate.

In the city atty race, Holmes is out, but it looks to me like Nicole Thomas-Kennedy will replace him. She is even further to the left--she wants to abolish virtually all prosecutions of misdemeanors.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/202...l-misdemeanors

Old 08-12-2021, 06:21 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,277,247 times
Quote:
In the city atty race, Holmes is out, but it looks to me like Nicole Thomas-Kennedy will replace him. She is even further to the left--she wants to abolish virtually all prosecutions of misdemeanors.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/202...l-misdemeanors
I mean, I basically agree with a lot of what she's saying. She sounds like someone I would really get along with, and share many core values with. And so does Durkan, honestly.

One the whole law enforcement thing, I see the horrible George Floyd incident as an example of the other extreme of it, and the old status quo. There needs to be reform, when looking from that angle. I'd have to hear out the full case of what abolishing the police would actually look like. You definitely need to have laws and enforcement of those laws. Public safety is paramount. Reform and change is also needed.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,903,946 times
Perhaps more moderate Seattleites should bother to vote. The last time I checked, local Seattle elections have very low turnout.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:21 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,258,491 times
Quote:
I mean, I basically agree with a lot of what she's saying. She sounds like someone I would really get along with, and share many core values with. And so does Durkan, honestly.
I rarely meet anyone who likes Jenny Durkan. She's too "liberal" for some of the far-right numpties, she appears to be a very ineffective manager to appease the centrists, and she's dead meat for the left who view her as a class traitor.

Durkan might just go down as one of our worst mayors, and that's saying something since she replaced a sexual predator. She ain't done ****.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:06 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,383,205 times
Quote:
For example, for city attorney, Ann Davison ran on an anti-crime platform. The incumbent Pete Holmes has had a soft-on-crime, social justice warrior platform. The other challenger, Nicole Thomas-Kennedy, ran to his left. Although Davison did get 32.7%--not bad for a Republican running in Seattle--her two left-wing opponents got a combined 67%.

[...]

Nikkita Oliver, a lawyer, poet, and prominent 2020 "Summer of Love" activist, topped the race for her council seat with 40%. (Although Sara Nelson right behind her with 39%).
Ann Davison is a life-long Democrat, who switched her party "label" in order to get traction for issues she cares about in a partisan race (Lieutenant-Governor). She certainly isn't a law-and-order right-winger, or she wouldn't have garnered the vote she did. I don't think that "public-safety" need be a partisan issue. How could anyone not be "anti-crime". Sara Nelson is also a pragmatic liberal-progressive, as is Bruce Harrell. I'm just happy to have viable quality alternatives, instead of just flaming partisans, making it through to the general election.

This was a low-turnout primary and thus skews to the more partisan extremes. In the general election, I think these races will be closer to 50-50, than 60-40.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Ann Davison is a life-long Democrat, who switched her party "label" in order to get traction for issues she cares about in a partisan race (Lieutenant-Governor). She certainly isn't a law-and-order right-winger, or she wouldn't have garnered the vote she did. I don't think that "public-safety" need be a partisan issue. How could anyone not be "anti-crime". Sara Nelson is also a pragmatic liberal-progressive, as is Bruce Harrell. I'm just happy to have viable quality alternatives, instead of just flaming partisans, making it through to the general election.

This was a low-turnout primary and thus skews to the more partisan extremes. In the general election, I think these races will be closer to 50-50, than 60-40.
Thanks, I didn't know that about Davison. I heard her interviewed several times in the run up to the election, and she was definitely campaigning on a platform of cleaning up drugs, crime, and homeless encampments.

Conservative talk host Ari Hoffman, who once ran for city council and lives in Seattle, was intently pushing for Davison. You may be right about the turnout factor; I don't know. But the two far-left candidates (Pete and Nicole) got a combined 67%, while moderate Davison got 32%. That seems like a pretty overwhelming hurdle for her to overcome.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I rarely meet anyone who likes Jenny Durkan. She's too "liberal" for some of the far-right numpties, she appears to be a very ineffective manager to appease the centrists, and she's dead meat for the left who view her as a class traitor.

Durkan might just go down as one of our worst mayors, and that's saying something since she replaced a sexual predator. She ain't done ****.
That's the problem w/ Durkan. She wants to be on every side of everything. Her handling of the CHOP/CHAZ was abysmal. Seattle has had a string of feckless mayors for decades--Paul Schell, Greg Nickles, Ed Murray...the list goes on.

I supported and voted for Charlie Chong back when I lived in Seattle. He was progressive and I'm conservative, but he was smart and pragmatic. He also walked the progressive walk. He and his wife had one car, and if she was using it, he'd take the bus to candidate forums & such. No fleet of $50,000 hybrid SUVs and sedans like Greg Nickles had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area