Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 10:08 AM

5,123 posts, read 2,176,266 times

Advertisements

So many don’t understand there can be a big difference between liberals and leftists. Sadly, Seattle turns more leftist by the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 01:28 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,980,079 times
Seattle voters and common sense don't belong in the same sentence. The liberals around here probably think Joe Biden is doing a bang up job right now.

Open Southern Border- lets get more future democrat voters in!!
Afghanistan- come on man, that was 4 days ago. you guys remember that answer when asked about people hanging on to departing planes
Inflation all time high- feel so bad for those on fixed incomes
No longer energy dependent- shuts down our pipeline while saying to Russia yeah go for it, ask OPEC for help now
Did not get covid under control as promised- back to square 1
Crime rates all time high- lets get rid of cops when crime is spiking, that sounds like the plan

Old 08-24-2021, 03:16 PM

15,910 posts, read 6,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Seattle voters and common sense don't belong in the same sentence. The liberals around here probably think Joe Biden is doing a bang up job right now.

Afghanistan- come on man, that was 4 days ago. you guys remember that answer when asked about people hanging on to departing planes
No longer energy dependent- shuts down our pipeline while saying to Russia yeah go for it, ask OPEC for help now
Crime rates all time high- lets get rid of cops when crime is spiking, that sounds like the plan
Ah, lies. Goodie.

--Southern border illegal immigration peaked under Bush. 470,000 per year until 2007, then dropping to 70,000 per year under Obama.
--Afghanistan withdrawal was initiated under Trump. Remember that?
--An inflation rate of 5.4% is NOT an all time high. Not even close. It was 14% in 1977.
--US was a net oil importer in 2020 under Trump. That's energy independent?
--Who promised to get COVID-19 under control? Trump said it would magically disappear. Did it?
--Murder set a 26 year high in 2020, before any police cuts. Thanks Trump.

Heh, fun times.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:40 PM

5,123 posts, read 2,176,266 times
Quote:

Unfortunately they sell a lot of blue colored hair dye in Seattle. I can live with Seattle liberals but the leftists scare my socks off.

Last edited by pete98146; 08-25-2021 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-27-2021, 03:43 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,980,079 times
The lefties in Seattle will more than likely get their token women and poc as president soon after the imbecile known as Biden is set aside for the mentally challenged. He has served his duty.

I don't believe he feels any remorse for his actions concerning Afghanistan.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:36 PM

8,186 posts, read 8,343,730 times
Quote:
The lefties in Seattle will more than likely get their token women and poc as president soon after the imbecile known as Biden is set aside for the mentally challenged. He has served his duty.

I don't believe he feels any remorse for his actions concerning Afghanistan.
Please tell me you aren’t voting for Trump’s return. That, my friend, was chaos.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:39 AM

849 posts, read 971,901 times
Homeless:

A lot of homeless people (most?) have mental health issues that aren't going to be solved. What do people want, set up "shelters" and whatever, where they get some free reading done, "take some classes", get their act together, and get a job and build themselves back up? That might happen here and there in rare situations, but it's largely fantasy. These people otherwise have severe mental health problems. What do people crying about the "homeless problem" really expect as a solution? They don't WANT help. They don't like rules, they don't like curfews, they don't like a lot of the way the "help" is presented. So the alternative, like someone said, is just sweep them away somewhere else, out of sight and out of mind under the rug or behind the tree? Yeah that'll help. Simply "making it illegal to be homeless" is a monumentally dumb and unhelpful "solution". "Oh, we have all these homeless programs!" If they aren't used, they don't matter. You need to do something about them in such a way that they'll actually take to it and want to use it. If that was easy, it would have been done already.

Cops:

Now, I'm nearly as blue as blue can get, but despite that, I don't see how anyone could be keeping up this cry of defund the police. It's just stupid. You need law enforcement, and a good number of them. I'd rather have 6 cop cars show up to a domestic dispute because they're all bored and have nothing to do, than to have 1 cop show up 2 hours late because they have too much to do with the staff numbers they have.

The problem is this "protect the blue" or whatever crap they call it internally. Yes, do that to your teammates, but that protection ends when someone starts doing illegal things, violating the 'protect and serve' motto, acting like a bully and a thug, and causing unjustified brutality and death. The "good cops" need to be allowed to speak up about the pieces of sh** they work with without fear of retaliation. This isn't a jocks club. You break the law and violate the rules, you're done. Bye. I once saw a meme that said there are 3 types of cops. The bad cops, the cops that say nothing about the bad cops, and the cops that said something and got fired (i.e. they were the good cop and got fired for it, so ergo, there are no good cops left on staff).

General:

If a republican wants to run on a platform of lower taxes and smaller government, that's fine, but it has to be presented in a way that the democrats can get behind. In other words, red has to at least genuinely address some of the things the blues want. You can't just cut things they care about and expect to stay in office, or even get there to begin with. There is zero tolerance for the kind of "family values" on the platform that is basically just thinly veiled racism, bigotry and intolerance. I don't know if that's the republicans in the Seattle area, just saying in general. If they're already doing that, well, people on both sides are going to have to help "sell it" to the people that are so fed up with the bs of the platform in general that they aren't seeing reason. And the same goes for blues running in a red area; you have to care about the issues of the people you're aiming to serve and find a way to address them in a way amenable to both sides.

Essentially, a red in a blue area is going to have to do some tree hugging, and a blue in a red area is going to have to be a little smarter with the spending and be "reasonable" about the gun issue because it's a "cultural thing" in the US that isn't changing any decade soon unfortunately.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:28 PM

6,423 posts, read 5,060,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Now, I'm nearly as blue as blue can get, but despite that, I don't see how anyone could be keeping up this cry of defund the police. It's just stupid. You need law enforcement, and a good number of them. I'd rather have 6 cop cars show up to a domestic dispute because they're all bored and have nothing to do, than to have 1 cop show up 2 hours late because they have too much to do with the staff numbers they have.
AFAIK it's less "we shouldn't have police at all" and more "the police get way too much taxpayer money". This allows them to stock up on military weapons and liberally send out SWAT teams to instances that don't call for it. There's also a marginal returns thing --- we could drastically cut current police budgets and they could still do their job, and we'd be able to invest that money into other areas to cut crime, e.g. integration initiatives; investing in businesses, job training, and schools in POC neighborhoods.

Sure, there are a lot of leftists who genuinely want the police abolished right now, but I think they're in the minority, and they don't represent the POC who actually live in inner-city neighborhoods and have to live with the gangs and random crime.

Quote:
The problem is this "protect the blue" or whatever crap they call it internally. Yes, do that to your teammates, but that protection ends when someone starts doing illegal things, violating the 'protect and serve' motto, acting like a bully and a thug, and causing unjustified brutality and death. The "good cops" need to be allowed to speak up about the pieces of sh** they work with without fear of retaliation. This isn't a jocks club. You break the law and violate the rules, you're done. Bye. I once saw a meme that said there are 3 types of cops. The bad cops, the cops that say nothing about the bad cops, and the cops that said something and got fired (i.e. they were the good cop and got fired for it, so ergo, there are no good cops left on staff).
Agree with this. I liked a lot of the demands I saw at the George Floyd site in Minneapolis, namely that we end qualified immunity and that officers be required to have liability insurance. (I think the idea with the latter is that police departments aren't disincentivized from reporting officers because they'll have to pay huge sums in settlements)

Old 08-31-2021, 08:48 AM

849 posts, read 971,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
AFAIK it's less "we shouldn't have police at all" and more "the police get way too much taxpayer money". This allows them to stock up on military weapons and liberally send out SWAT teams to instances that don't call for it. There's also a marginal returns thing --- we could drastically cut current police budgets and they could still do their job, and we'd be able to invest that money into other areas to cut crime, e.g. integration initiatives; investing in businesses, job training, and schools in POC neighborhoods.

Ok, that I could get behind, sure. They desperately need better training. You see so many stories from other countries where situations were safely de-escalated time and time and time again without being brutally violent about it. Yet here, they just riddle you full of holes because a dead person can't sue. I always think of this story as an exemplar. Over here in the US? Every cop in that room is emptying a full clip into that guy, while screaming and yelling at him, because 10 people are simultaneously scared for their life from one guy with a knife.

I do understand the desire for some better-than-typical equipment. I think a lot of them are understandably worried about that one situation in what, the 90s in L.A., where two bank robbers had automatic rifles and body armor and the cops couldn't do anything about it? The robbers were literally just casually walking through the street like they owned the place. They do need to be prepared for that, yes. But at the same time, yeah, they don't need to be ever-ready for an epic assault on the stronghold deep behind enemy lines or something.

I once read something somewhere that people shouldn't be scared of the police. Yet you tell your kids "you better act right or the police are going to come take you away!" to scare correct behavior into them. With kids myself, believe me I understand the sentiment completely, to want to get them to act properly when you are at wits end. But whoever said that was right, they are here to help and shouldn't be demonized. But at the same time they need to have the behaviors and training to where people aren't scared when the cops come around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area