Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 06:10 PM

930 posts, read 334,875 times

Advertisements

https://aqua.kingcounty.gov/election...ry/results.pdf

It was thought in 2019 that there would be a shakeup in Seattle due to the problems of homelessness, crime, and drugs. There was no 2019 shakeup--self-described 'Marxist' Kshama Sawant won re-election.

Now in 2021, there were more predictions of shakeups, as problems have worsened, but again--no such luck.

For example, for city attorney, Ann Davison ran on an anti-crime platform. The incumbent Pete Holmes has had a soft-on-crime, social justice warrior platform. The other challenger, Nicole Thomas-Kennedy, ran to his left. Although Davison did get 32.7%--not bad for a Republican running in Seattle--her two left-wing opponents got a combined 67%.

If you look through the results, that seems typical. Far-left Teresa Mosqueda, who once dressed her infant child in an Antifa outfit, explaining you have to "start 'em early," won 59% of the vote in her city council race. The next closest candidate got 16%.

Nikkita Oliver, a lawyer, poet, and prominent 2020 "Summer of Love" activist, topped the race for her council seat with 40%. (Although Sara Nelson right behind her with 39%).

Seattle voters have doubled down on the policies that have turned it into the Rats' Nest of the Great Northwest.

Last edited by t. raleigh fingers; 08-11-2021 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 06:16 PM

14,551 posts, read 12,204,012 times
Well, I guess they're not tired enough of it yet.

I just hope we can bring the rest of the state back a little.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:25 PM

15,888 posts, read 6,589,981 times
Their problem, I guess, as long as it stays west of the lake. Sounds like the police response times are up quite a bit due to the staffing crisis. Good luck with that.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:24 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,284,143 times
Admittedly I'm still new to Seattle, west coast politics, and these urban issues, and surely ignorant- but, it seems to me the only real solution to the Seattle homelessness, is permanent housing and support. Sweep the people in the park into a truly much better situation than living in a tent, and they'll be glad never to go back, and the parks will be clear. Yeah, it will cost money, but probably save money in the long run. I mean, what else can we do?

Republicans running for city offices don't actually want to solve the issue. They just want those of us in the city who are fortunate, to not have to look at it. And, I do get that. I walk these streets, and it sucks to have to see it every day, and the mental health crisis. It's heart breaking and off-putting and all of the above. No doubt. And it's easy to point the finger at Dems in power, and maybe rightfully so, and I'm upset at leadership too- but whether the homelessness is in one place or another place is not really the actual issue. We all dislike the situation, so let's actually solve the root of the situation, in a way that helps everyone involved. Any Republican proposing that would have my vote. But they're not, they just want to sweep it out of their supporters' view and mind.

Some of these people do have jobs, and they still can't afford homes in this city. Yeah, okay, so you cleared out a park, so where did you clear these people out to? Some other form of hell situation, possibly even worse? What about their possessions and stuff?

It's definitely a nuanced issue, I'm definitely torn on it, I'm most definitely not happy with it, but let's solve it permanently. Don't just ignore the fact that the root cause is socio-economic, and much larger than any one city. To be honest, I'm not sure how much Seattle can actually do. But overall I believe the solution to homelessness is, let's get everyone a home.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:16 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,427,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t. raleigh fingers View Post
https://aqua.kingcounty.gov/election...ry/results.pdf

It was thought in 2019 that there would be a shakeup in Seattle due to the problems of homelessness, crime, and drugs. There was no 2019 shakeup--self-described 'Marxist' Kshama Sawant won re-election.

Now in 2021, there were more predictions of shakeups, as problems have worsened, but again--no such luck.

For example, for city attorney, Ann Davison ran on an anti-crime platform. The incumbent Pete Holmes has had a soft-on-crime, social justice warrior platform. The other challenger, Nicole Thomas-Kennedy, ran to his left. Although Davison did get 32.7%--not bad for a Republican running in Seattle--her two left-wing opponents got a combined 67%.

If you look through the results, that seems typical. Far-left Teresa Mosqueda, who once dressed her infant child in an Antifa outfit, explaining you have to "start 'em early," won 59% of the vote in her city council race.
The next closest candidate got 16%.

Nikkita Oliver, a lawyer, poet, and prominent 2020 "Summer of Love" activist, topped the race for her council seat with 40%. (Although Sara Nelson right behind her with 39%).

Seattle voters have doubled down on the policies that have turned it into the Rats' Nest of the Great Northwest.
I feel sorry for people who live in the city.

But then again, Seattle gets what it elects.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:53 AM

7,543 posts, read 17,267,329 times
Oh no! Not a poet! What have we done.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:57 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,085,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t. raleigh fingers View Post
OP, who did you vote for in our municipal election primary? Or are you like so many other posters on this board that don't live here?

And do you know what the job of the city attorney is and how it differs from the King County Prosecuting Attorney? Do you know what sorts of cases are adjudicated in Seattle Municipal Court vs. King County courts?

It's probably pointless to say on this board, which is increasingly a home for Seattle haters (most from a distance) but some of us who have lived here for a (very) long time and raised families here, and have participated in community and political life here, think it's still a pretty decent place to live - tolerant, reasonably fair, diverse, caring...

YMMV of course. BTW, where do you vote in municipal elections?

Old 08-12-2021, 11:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
I had to go into the office yesterday and do some work up the Duwamish. Yes, the homeless situation, graffiti and visibly "disturbed" people has gotten worse, and I too was hoping for some changes in the City Council. It was good though to see the tourists retuning to the waterfront in good numbers, though not as many as before the pandemic. For me the biggest problem was the West Seattle Bridges being closed. I had to go to a location that would have been an easy 15 minutes before, but having to go all the way down to the First Ave Bridge and back up Marginal with backed up traffic took 47 minutes, a little less coming back via 99. I feel sorry for those that will have to go back to their offices downtown from West Seattle when their employers end working from home.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:17 PM

7,543 posts, read 17,267,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
OP, who did you vote for in our municipal election primary? Or are you like so many other posters on this board that don't live here?

And do you know what the job of the city attorney is and how it differs from the King County Prosecuting Attorney? Do you know what sorts of cases are adjudicated in Seattle Municipal Court vs. King County courts?

It's probably pointless to say on this board, which is increasingly a home for Seattle haters (most from a distance) but some of us who have lived here for a (very) long time and raised families here, and have participated in community and political life here, think it's still a pretty decent place to live - tolerant, reasonably fair, diverse, caring...

YMMV of course. BTW, where do you vote in municipal elections?
Excellent post. I particularly did not care for Ann Davison's mailer that deliberately conflated the responsibilities of the King County Prosecuting Attorney with those of Pete Davidson. I will vote for any candidate who is responsible, mature, communicative, and coachable. I will never vote for someone who I think is deliberately lying to smear another candidate.

People forget that many of our problems are due to our success. Seattle has been one of the fastest growing cities for years, despite our land use and transportation constraints. We have seen a HUGE increase in very high paying jobs. It will take time to accommodate this level of growth. Overall, our city leaders seem to be doing the best they can with the resources they have.

I'm over everything being cast in a partisan pallor, and the snide and cynical suggestions that government is both somehow inept but also brilliant enough to try to steal all the resources for some shadowy and unknown end. It's time for real adults to stand up and calm the conversation down.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:38 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,330,063 times
RIP Seattle

trying to become the next SF craphole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area