Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:26 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times

Advertisements

Thanks Samsmom I remember when you were on City Data with questions before your move! Glad once again to not feel alone in this. CD has been a real learning experience for me, and helped me get to know myself too

ANYWAY

4 years ago - almost to the day now, I moved here and had to go back to Calif for about a week in early June. I came back and our lawn had turned brown (or was turning) and I was in a cranky mood - I let my husband have it - WTF HAPPENED TO THE LAWN??!! I was so mad! It was our first home and I felt like it looked ghetto.

Because coming from Calif everyone has sprinklers and keeps their lawns prestine and green, unless you are a rental house or the ghetto...

I didn't know in Seattle Proper it was the norm to have lawns turn brown and straw like...now I look around and everyone does it. And have since apologized profusely to my husband, he was doing the best he could without sprinklers.

It's just such a different place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:38 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Thanks Samsmom I remember when you were on City Data with questions before your move! Glad once again to not feel alone in this. CD has been a real learning experience for me, and helped me get to know myself too

ANYWAY

4 years ago - almost to the day now, I moved here and had to go back to Calif for about a week in early June. I came back and our lawn had turned brown (or was turning) and I was in a cranky mood - I let my husband have it - WTF HAPPENED TO THE LAWN??!! I was so mad! It was our first home and I felt like it looked ghetto.

Because coming from Calif everyone has sprinklers and keeps their lawns prestine and green, unless you are a rental house or the ghetto...

I didn't know in Seattle Proper it was the norm to have lawns turn brown and straw like...now I look around and everyone does it. And have since apologized profusely to my husband, he was doing the best he could without sprinklers.

It's just such a different place
Yeah, Seattle lawns are often brown in summer and green in winter.

Ken

Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM

355 posts, read 990,544 times
Well, this is some getting used to. Oh....who am I kidding.....I'll never get used to this. Anyway, everyone enjoy this beautiful weekend we have to look forward to.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:12 PM

13 posts, read 48,714 times
So only 66 here in puyallup, so much for this 80 degree weather eh? It was supposedly supposed to hit 81 here today, it's got 15 degrees to go! I need my heat! Come on!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:22 PM

13 posts, read 36,634 times
I'm out in Astoria. Our haze burned off by 10am and the temps have been rising. My outdoor thermometer is saying 82 right now. Tomorrow is supposed to be quite a bit warmer. Everyone around town is naked - running around in tank tops and halters. I'm cracking up.

Enjoy the sunshine folks!

Last edited by JensJools; 05-15-2008 at 04:49 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 03:32 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
I just mentioned that to my husband the other day.....isn't it crazy that it's cloudy all day and then early evening the sun decides to come out. WTF!!! This is the craziest weather I lived with anywhere....it doesn't make sense. We mowed our lawn a few weeks ago and then it started snowing....blows me away. The trees lose their leaves but the grass stays green all year????? No wonder I feel so out of place.....totally not what I'm used to. And what's with daylight at 5am.....yikes....I'll have to buy darkening shades. I feel like I'm in a "catch 22"....I need to make my bedroom darker to be able to sleep in past 5am.....but yet once I'm up....I have to open every blind in the house so I can get some light?????
It all seems normal to me...if it was any different I'd think something was drastically wrong! lol

It's actually quite normal to have morning low clouds, fog and maybe a bit of a drizzle in the late spring and summer here…although, usually by early to mid-summer the clouds and fog burn off earlier in the day than it has today.

KOMO: What is Seattle's usual summertime pattern

"If we have a moderate westerly marine breeze -- which is the most common day-to-day scenario around here -- that's our morning clouds, afternoon sunshine, with highs in the 70-75 range -- a tad warmer away from the water."

It's a common coastal type pattern from Alaska to northern California.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
It's fine right now, but I'm getting ready to hunker down in my basement.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,758 times
I've always noticed that when there's fog in the morning hours during the spring or summer, sun in the afternoon is usually on the way. So I actually like morning fog on those days.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:06 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, Seattle lawns are often brown in summer and green in winter.
Sounds like Austin lawns.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Seattlerain, thanks for that great link! (Can't give you more reps at the moment, so I'll give you publicity instead )

I feel very proud of Seattleites that we don't waste water on something as pointless as a lawn -- especially because the grass roots sit in the ground, take a vacation and snooze while the weather's dry, and grow right back up when they like the weather. A very natural life. Makes sense to me.

Aarrrrgghh, 90 degrees right now and it's only 2:45. Off to the coolest spot in the house with the cats who also like to stay cool.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area