Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 11:04 AM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
You’re right. Hiking and outdoor options are almost limitless. Pike/Pine area of Capitol Hill is probably the most similar to NYC, that’s what my “born in NYC” wifey says.
But harder, or more expensive, to keep a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 12:23 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Having lived in Capitol Hill, (Upper) Queen Anne, and DT Seattle (also Bellevue and Redmond) - I think I would highly recommend ...

1. If you want to live in the city; Upper Queen Anne, it's the magical neighborhood. So many local amenities, but also a hop, skip and jump to downtown. It's a little world of its own with some of the most amazing views. There is a WONDERFUL running loop around the top. It's a lot easier than running in Capitol Hill. We moved from Upper Queen Anne to Cap Hill, and my husband and I used to to drive back to Queen Anne for that loop, and then brunch at the 5 Spot.
Agree. If OP wants something different than NYC, then Upper Queen Anne gets you quite the quintessential Seattle experience. Amazing views, beautiful well-kept streets and sidewalks. Good running loop starting at 7th-8th W. Streetcar suburb feel while being walking distance to Seattle Center and the waterfront. It is the Fraiser neighborhood.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:23 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonforum View Post
Hi,

I have lived in NYC area from past 9 years and now considering moving to Seattle for 6 months or more (depending on the work situation). I have never lived/been to that part of the country. So thinking about taking an advantage of the current WFH situation to take a break and gain a different city experience.

I would appreciate if you can suggest a safe neighborhoood to rent a 1 BR apartment within a range of $1500-$1800/pm. I might bring my car (but it depends on commutability). Some members have suggested Pikes Place, Capital Hill, Belltown in other posts, as these places can help see various attractions and feel the vibe of the city.

If things go well and I feel that I fit in the city, I might extend my stay and find a job locally (if I am fortunate enough).

Thanks,
What part of NYC are you from?

All these places people mentioned to you because "they" think it will remind you of home. All of the above places are sht! They are some of the worst spots in Seattle. I guess they think all of NYC is unsafe.
All of downtown Seattle is garbage. Before the pandemic parts of it weren't bad....

Go to West Seattle. There's no big buildings, mostly houses and apartments. It has a Queens vibe. Flushing/Bayside, even LI, but much smaller, and you can live there for that money. And the bonus is there's no homeless in west seattle like the rest of Seattle.

Last edited by 41Willys; 11-18-2021 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-18-2021, 10:47 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
What part of NYC are you from?

All these places people mentioned to you because "they" think it will remind you of home. All of the above places are sht! They are some of the worst spots in Seattle. I guess they think all of NYC is unsafe.
All of downtown Seattle is garbage. Before the pandemic parts of it weren't bad....

Go to West Seattle. There's no big buildings, mostly houses and apartments. It has a Queens vibe. Flushing/Bayside, even LI, but much smaller, and you can live there for that money. And the bonus is there's no homeless in west seattle like the rest of Seattle.
Willys, South Slope Queen Anne and North Capitol Hill definitely aren’t “sht”. Your point is well taken though about West Seattle. I could see the parallel to Queens. I think many of us were assuming the OP meant Manhattan, you are right that there are many parts of NYC.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 11-18-2021 at 10:57 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 07:36 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
There's a lot of homeless folks in West Seattle. I don't know what crack you're smoking. Probably the same crack that allows you to call Queen Anne ****.

Old 11-19-2021, 03:16 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonforum View Post
I do like running in the morning/evening, so any place with a good 3-5 mile stretch for a run would be an awesome location.
For good running paths, live near:

* Myrtle Edwards/Elliott Bay Park (Belltown, Lower Queen Anne, Interbay/West Queen Anne)

* Green Lake Park (Green Lake, Tangletown, Wallingford)

* Discovery Park (Magnolia)

* Burke-Gilman Trail (NE Seattle, Northlake)

* West Burke-Gilman Trail (West Ballard/Sunset Hill)

* Aboretum (Montlake, Madison Valley)

* Magnuson Park (Sand Point)

* Carkeek Park (NW Seattle)

* Alki Park/Beach (Alki/Admiral)

* Lincoln Park (West Seattle)

* Seward Park (SE Seattle)

Old 11-19-2021, 03:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Cheasty & Jefferson Park (Beacon Hill) is a good running loop, too.

Old 11-20-2021, 04:34 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
There's a lot of homeless folks in West Seattle. I don't know what crack you're smoking. Probably the same crack that allows you to call Queen Anne ****.
lol exactly. Queen Anne is the sh*t. Leafy streetcar suburb feel with good schools yet walking distance to the Sound, Climate Pledge Arena and SLU.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:04 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Willys, South Slope Queen Anne and North Capitol Hill definitely aren’t “sht”. Your point is well taken though about West Seattle. I could see the parallel to Queens. I think many of us were assuming the OP meant Manhattan, you are right that there are many parts of NYC.
Small pockets of nice are mixed in, but those nice pockets are over his budget. Although the homeless situation is getting very bad there, I like Ballard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
When I say W. Seattle, I am referring to Alki Beach area. So no! There are no homeless Crack head. Queen Ann was nice, and parts still are, but they are way over his budget.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:52 PM

44 posts, read 44,264 times
I used to live on Capitol Hill many years ago. I am back in NYC. I don't know what Seattle is like now. The homeless situation is a bit disconcerting. Other than that, I think all those spots mentioned in the first few replies were good areas when I was in Seattle (2001-2010). West Seattle is a pain in the ass to get into and out of. Factor that in.

As I remembered,

Belltown was only good for the weekends; but it was a lot fun back then.

Capitol Hill was a nice and expansive village with many amenities and happenings.

Queen Anne was a bit isolated but had diverse sceneries (lower vs. upper); upper QA for retirees; lower for youngsters.

Fremont was a cool spot but a bit lacking compared WITH Capitol Hill.

Ballard was a universe onto itself; quite isolated.

When I went back to visit in 2012, Seattle seemed to be acting more corporate.

I think Capitol Hill and Queen Anne are surer bets than other neighborhoods.

Last edited by novavax; 01-27-2022 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area