Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:40 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyeis View Post
I thought it was a good omen (upon learning that I got the job at GRCC) that Seattle-based syndicated radio show host, Jim Wilke with his show "Jazz After Hours," put my album on his "best of 2007" list! ...
... just getting a feel for the area in those few days made me know that I will love it there.
Good for you! -- two perfect signs! Yes. Doncha just love it when the Universe gives you obvious applause for your paying attention to who you are?

Oh yeah.... jazz.... Utah.... basketball. Okay. But boring! Hahaha! There IS a nice jazz culture here. It's not my culture so can't give you details; but Google can, of course. Also, the Seattle Weekly is always a great source of performance information and art-life behind the scenes info: Seattle Weekly

I wish you joy in your preparations. C'mon back with whatever questions you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 PM

11 posts, read 39,015 times
I looked up Georgetown and found this great site with some pics and info - just to share with others, here it is.

Better Know a Neighborhood - Georgetown, Seattle « BUILD Blog

Thanks again! I think that this might be too long of a commute though as much as I like it!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
The Proctor District in North Tacoma has it's appeal. It's pretty, it has nice old houses, and a vibrant neighborhoody retail and restaurant area.

Proctor District, Tacoma, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the jazz club info ira500! It's funny, you think of the jazz scene being just in Seattle but I guess not! That's great to know. And thanks for the info to the north. That actually makes me feel better, because I was feeling a little down that my job was located in the wrong area!! That's not necessarily true is it? Thanks!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 PM

Your job is not in he wrong area! You might have reason to feel that way if you'd gotten a job at Camden community college in New jersey or Detroit Community college, but Auburn WA?
Lots of nearby hiking and watersports, proximity to Tacoma is actually a good thing. Some of Tacoma is nasty, and some of Tacoma is flat and bland, but there are several great neighborhoods there, and the Tacoma Art Museum is very nice, as is the Museum of Glass.
Tacoma has an arthouse movie theatre, and Tacoma has a 1930's restaurant built in the shape of a coffeepot. What more could you want?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:55 PM

Bob's Java Jive - Giant Coffee Pot, Tacoma, Washington (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2977 - broken link)

Old 05-20-2008, 12:40 AM

You sold me ira500! A building in the shape of a coffeepot?? Love it I'm going to make it a point to find that when I move!!

You are so right!! I'll be in Washington for goodness sakes! I think when you read SO many posts and SO many opinions the picture you get sometimes might be a little skewed. I started getting the idea that all the "cool" areas were north of Seattle with the south being mostly blue collar suburbia. But that is a little over generalized now isn't it? You are informing me that there are plenty of "cool" areas throughout. Thanks for all your info!! So appreciated.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:51 AM

Mapquest says 34 minutes between Georgetown and Green river Community College.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyeis View Post
I looked up Georgetown and found this great site with some pics and info - just to share with others, here it is.

Better Know a Neighborhood - Georgetown, Seattle « BUILD Blog

Thanks again! I think that this might be too long of a commute though as much as I like it!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:15 AM

Default Narrowing it down?

Since more than one of you recommended the Proctor Distict, N. Tacoma, I've been researching it and I am REALLY liking it. Thank you SO much for the suggestion. This may be the place I've envisioned in my mind!! I had not heard about it before. The info on the schools there is very positive and it has walkability and hip, vintage quality that I really like. I started to think about my commute to Auburn, and my schedule is so great, I will leave for work during rush hour in the morning, but I will return quite early (I will not work past 1 or 2:00), so only one way do I worry about rush hour traffic. I could handle that! Rental prices seem more affordable there too than other areas I've liked (up to $300. less!). Saving some money so I can purchase a house later would be worth a little longer commute. Course I'll have to buy a hybrid to keep from eating it up in gas!!! I think the other option that I'm leaning towards is Maple Valley, very different than N. Tacoma, but the good points are, closer to my job, excellent schools, forest - beautiful nature, very family-friendly. I have sort of narrowed it down between these two (until I run across something else I love - yikes!), and will just have to see what rentals come available in those areas. Anyway, thanks for letting me sort it all out with you guys. Can anyone tell me a little more of what Maple Valley is like? Is there a downtown? Some of the stores/shops? Thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 20,442 times
I wouldn't personally want to do the commute from Tacoma to GRCC daily. The biggest thing I'd be concerned about is being so far away from my kid if something happened at school. The traffic can really mess you up at certain times of day too.

I'd suggest looking into Covington, Maple Valley, or even Auburn itself? Someplace that you only need to hop onto the #18 to get to work. You'd find your commute much nicer and be closer to your child in case of emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area