Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 08:51 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times

Advertisements

Remember that bill the state signed back in 2019 to make Daylight Savings Time permanent? Well it looks like Congress is finally acting to make it possible.

The Senate approves a bill to make daylight saving time permanent

Quote:
The Senate passed a bill Tuesday that would make daylight saving time permanent across the U.S. beginning in 2023. The so-called Sunshine Protection Act of 2021 was approved by unanimous consent, but would still require House approval and President Biden's signature to become law.

For those wishing for an end to annual clock shifting, this most recent push in Congress is perhaps better late than never.
The bill was co-sponsored by Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Patty Murray (D-WA); their third attempt.

Washington’s wait for permanent Daylight Saving Time could be nearing end after Senate vote

Hurrah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 08:55 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Permanent standard time would probably be better, but that works too. Hope it passes the House.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:57 PM

240 posts, read 195,629 times
For people like me who moved here from out of state, the hardest part of adjusting to Seattle is the winter months (November- February)- with rain, gloom, and short days. Moving to permanent DST will shift sunset to 5:30 pm from 4:30 pm, the extra hour of daylight will be very helpful. Early morning folks may think otherwise, but I would much rather have an additional hour of sunshine at end of the day.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:05 PM

406 posts, read 434,833 times
This would make 9 am sunrises in Michigan in winter! I am so annoyed right now. 8 am is bad enough!

Old 03-15-2022, 10:06 PM

1,434 posts, read 667,304 times
Amazing. Something they can agree on and long overdue.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:17 PM

174 posts, read 132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
This would make 9 am sunrises in Michigan in winter! I am so annoyed right now. 8 am is bad enough!
I agree with you. And while I don't care for it getting dark so early, I don't like the darkness early in the morning--especially when considering children going to school. I prefer an early sunrise! I say make standard time permanent.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:59 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquetraveler View Post
For people like me who moved here from out of state, the hardest part of adjusting to Seattle is the winter months (November- February)- with rain, gloom, and short days. Moving to permanent DST will shift sunset to 5:30 pm from 4:30 pm, the extra hour of daylight will be very helpful. Early morning folks may think otherwise, but I would much rather have an additional hour of sunshine at end of the day.
But, I mean... it's not an extra hour of daylight, though. Seattle gets 8 hours 25 minutes of daylight at the winter solstice, and an amazing 16 hours at the summer solstice, and we can't change that no matter what number we assign to our clock...

DST has never made any sense to me. I mean, you can change the clock to make the Seattle sunset in December at 9:00 pm, okay, but then it won't rise until after noon. You've "saved" nothing.

The important thing is ceasing all the pointless clock changing back and forth. I only suggest permanent standard time, because then we could "fall back" one last time, and get back the hour of sleep that was just pointlessly stolen from us a few days ago.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:56 AM

240 posts, read 195,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
But, I mean... it's not an extra hour of daylight, though. Seattle gets 8 hours 25 minutes of daylight at the winter solstice, and an amazing 16 hours at the summer solstice, and we can't change that no matter what number we assign to our clock...

DST has never made any sense to me. I mean, you can change the clock to make the Seattle sunset in December at 9:00 pm, okay, but then it won't rise until after noon. You've "saved" nothing.

The important thing is ceasing all the pointless clock changing back and forth. I only suggest permanent standard time, because then we could "fall back" one last time, and get back the hour of sleep that was just pointlessly stolen from us a few days ago.
I didn't mean an extra hour of sunlight in a literal sense. I am a night owl and wake up around 8/ 8:30 am, by the time I start my day it is 9/ 9:30am. So, the morning light is not really helpful, but the extra hour later in the afternoon during winter months will be great..

Old 03-16-2022, 07:22 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
I agree with you. And while I don't care for it getting dark so early, I don't like the darkness early in the morning--especially when considering children going to school. I prefer an early sunrise! I say make standard time permanent.
Permanent DST was tried 50 years ago. Initially the idea was popular, but come Fall it didn't last:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/0...ople-hated-it/

I would also prefer permanent standard time.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:57 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

It does give you an extra hour of daylight in the evening, when you have some time to barbecue, watch a sports game, and do other recreational activities. So in that sense it's a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: