Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 08:25 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times

Advertisements

Seems like every church I see in the city, outside of the non-English-speaking ones, has gay pride flags and some kind of message about tolerance on the marquis. Are there any actually conservative churches left in the city? Not looking to picket outside, just curious. I assume if they exist they're pretty quiet about it.

I know a couple years back there was a Catholic school in Shoreline that fired a teacher for being a lesbian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 10:21 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Seems like every church I see in the city, outside of the non-English-speaking ones, has gay pride flags and some kind of message about tolerance on the marquis. Are there any actually conservative churches left in the city? Not looking to picket outside, just curious. I assume if they exist they're pretty quiet about it.

I know a couple years back there was a Catholic school in Shoreline that fired a teacher for being a lesbian.
That Mars Hill founder guy was quite a piece of work, burned that place (figuratively) to the ground. He was patriarchal, anti-gay and pretty abusive. This is an older article but interesting about how Mars Hill took off and flourished in Seattle before crashing down. https://www.seattlemet.com/news-and-...e-october-2014

Old 05-23-2022, 10:39 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Isn't the catholic church still anti-gay? You aren't going to find much anti-gay in a city as liberal as Seattle... nor in many really conservative places either, where the social climate on just about any issue is live and let live.

I feel the need to point out that homosexuality is not contagious and you won't catch it if you see one around your neighborhood. You could always let god sort it out. That is his job, to condemn, not yours.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:22 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
There are lots of good people regardless their orientation.
And as OWS said it’s not contagious .

Me I don’t like to be around extremists or bigots.

Don’t much care for the way Disney is pushing their agenda and I never met a racist that didn’t have serious other issues.

If you enjoy going to church this shouldn’t be an issue.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:48 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
(sotto voce) (Psst: don't tell them it's not contagious or they'll show up... )

Old 05-23-2022, 09:32 PM

187 posts, read 68,168 times
My guess the only conservative churches are private home churches. I cannot imagine a real conservative church existing in Seattle, the view conservatives in the city left during covid.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:22 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
So I can only speak to my own religious experience - I was born and raised Lutheran and went to a private Lutheran school through 8th grade. There are two subsets of the Lutheran church: the Missouri Synod, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

Even though it may not sound like it from the name, the ELCA is LGBT-friendly and the Missouri Synod is not. As a gay man who grew up in a Missouri Synod church I can tell you that they are 100% not LGBT friendly.

As it turns out there is actually at least one Missouri Synod church in Seattle that “operate[s] in strict adherence to the traditional Lutheran teachings and values promoted by the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.”

https://www.messiahseattle.org/home

So if that’s true then they are definitely NOT gay friendly. They aren’t going to be overtly anti-LGBT but you can’t be Missouri Synod and not believe homosexuality is a sin. Again, saying this as a gay man who grew up with this particular brand of Lutheranism.

I will say however that the vast majority of Lutheran churches in Seattle (and there are quite a few due in no small part to the large Scandinavian community here) are ELCA and very gay friendly for the most part.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:48 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Isn't the catholic church still anti-gay? You aren't going to find much anti-gay in a city as liberal as Seattle... nor in many really conservative places either, where the social climate on just about any issue is live and let live.

I feel the need to point out that homosexuality is not contagious and you won't catch it if you see one around your neighborhood. You could always let god sort it out. That is his job, to condemn, not yours.
See one around? lol.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:04 AM

362 posts, read 589,154 times
Philadelphia church in ballard?

Old 05-26-2022, 09:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Well, anti LGBTQ churches still exist in the Seattle area. IMO, they are not common, but accepting and not restrictive.
One of Seattle’s attributes is welcoming all religions and beliefs, the way it should be.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 05-26-2022 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area