Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 11:26 AM

1,369 posts, read 719,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
My favorite option isn't on the list.

The big driver of high housing costs is a high density of jobs in a high income industry. Spread the jobs out over a wide area, housing demand will spread out as well, and costs will be affordable for middle income folks. So either an explicit limit on job density, or enough work from home that jobs and people spread out naturally.
If you dip into the article a bit, you will see that the plan also imagines jobs following the same development patterns. But I guess those would be more of the service industry jobs. But not all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 11:38 AM

13,131 posts, read 7,620,621 times
I'd start looking around to see what is available.
Take up your mom's offer and invite her to help you look for options. Mom's love to shop for new digs, especially when it comes to a place big enough for her to visit you.

We are now at the age where investments are big risks and savings are negative yields. We might as well spend it on the Only. He's going to inherit what I (we) don't spend in our remaining time.
YHMV

Old 07-23-2022, 12:01 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,586,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
What's causing these high rents??
This is a capitalist society, and always has been. Rents are market-driven. It doesn't matter when your apartment was built, or even its condition, if someone else is willing to pay more for it, the rent goes up.

Your landlord bought income property to make a profit. As any business person, there are expenses including maintenance and repairs, labor to perform them, taxes based on the market value of the property. All those costs have raised. Landlords go into business to support themselves and their family, save for retirement, just like everyone else.

You live in an area where land is the major portion of the property value -- most do. Seattle has always been a land in demand area. I've lived in this region since 1990 and the area is pretty "bullet proof" when it comes to property values, even during the housing crisis ('08-'10) values did not go down.

I agree the local government could do more to foster a better economy for the working people, but the problem is that there are also a lot of people that think everything should stay the way it was when we had manufacturing jobs suited for working class. Now we are more of a tech industry based market, and it is hard to keep up with the changes. I, myself, as a former tech worker laid off in Spring of 2012 found my skillset was obsolete within four months. Modern living is a more stressful place, and there is no "kicking back and just doing my job" mentality. For us retirees, even a better economy doesn't help much. I feel your pain, but frankly if you cannot afford the rent increases, you will have to move.

Old 07-23-2022, 12:32 PM

2,153 posts, read 2,942,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I'd start looking around to see what is available.
Take up your mom's offer and invite her to help you look for options. Mom's love to shop for new digs, especially when it comes to a place big enough for her to visit you.

We are now at the age where investments are big risks and savings are negative yields. We might as well spend it on the Only. He's going to inherit what I (we) don't spend in our remaining time.
YHMV
Im definatly going to take my moms offer.

Old 07-23-2022, 02:00 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,871,914 times
Quote:
On August 1st 2022 my rent increases to $1375 per month plus $60 per month for water and another $50 per month for parking. Electricity is also extra. If my rent in August 2023 goes up to $1700 it's not worth it.

I'd be better off buying a condo.

My mom said she would give me $500,000 cash to purchase a condo.
If you give me that $500,000, I will talk with your landlord and we will arrange so that your rent stays $1375 for the rest of your life, no matter how long you live. Am totally serious.

Old 07-23-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
If you give me that $500,000, I will talk with your landlord and we will arrange so that your rent stays $1375 for the rest of your life, no matter how long you live. Am totally serious.
In August 2023 I'm probably going to purchase a condo with that money.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,311,773 times
I can only dream of having half a million in cash. I'd buy a small condo in the city for probably 400k or so, a used vehicle for maybe 20k or less (mainly for road trips), and put most of the rest in my 401k savings. My income would easily pay for taxes, HOA/utilities, food and cost of living, whatever other expenses. I'd be able to afford all the vacations, all the things I want to do, and I'd be able to retire at a normal age or earlier.

But alas, that is but a dream...

Old 07-23-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I can only dream of having half a million in cash. I'd buy a small condo in the city for probably 400k or so, a used vehicle for maybe 20k or less (mainly for road trips), and put most of the rest in my 401k savings. My income would easily pay for taxes, HOA/utilities, food and cost of living, whatever other expenses. I'd be able to afford all the vacations, all the things I want to do, and I'd be able to retire at a normal age or earlier.

But alas, that is but a dream...
A year ago my parents bought me a brand new car. My life is so much easier with a car.

What areas of the city would you buy in in terms of safety??

Old 07-23-2022, 09:46 PM

102,312 posts, read 108,503,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Competition. When a large number of people want to live in a small area, it drives up the cost of housing as the people with more income are willing and able to pay more.
I don't buy this as a driver of such huge rent increases. Many apt. buildings in Seattle are half empty or 1/3 empty. There are so many new apt. buildings, they can't fill them all, and yet the "market rate" remains the same or goes up. Something's fishy there.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:48 PM

102,312 posts, read 108,503,109 times
Quote:
A year ago my parents bought me a brand new car. My life is so much easier with a car.

What areas of the city would you buy in in terms of safety??
West Seattle might be nice. Maple leaf is safe, but may not have any condos, IDK. Do you want to be in Seattle? If you're flexible on that, you could look at Lake Forest Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area