Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 10:08 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't buy this as a driver of such huge rent increases. Many apt. buildings in Seattle are half empty or 1/3 empty. There are so many new apt. buildings, they can't fill them all, and yet the "market rate" remains the same or goes up. Something's fishy there.
Something is fishy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
West Seattle might be nice. Maple leaf is safe, but may not have any condos, IDK. Do you want to be in Seattle? If you're flexible on that, you could look at Lake Forest Park.
What about Olympic hills or lake city?? Im also considering crossroads bellevue,Lynnwood and edmonds

Old 07-23-2022, 11:50 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
What about Olympic hills or lake city?? Im also considering crossroads bellevue,Lynnwood and edmonds
Most of the condos in Edmonds are on the hill closer to the freeway, not in the walkable areas. Maybe that doesn't matter, since you have a car, but it doesn't look very homey up there. But who knows; maybe there are a few in some better locations.

Lake City? I thought you were concerned about safety.

Lynnwood can work, but Lake Forest Park is nicer, and part of it's on Lake Washington.

Old 07-24-2022, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Most of the condos in Edmonds are on the hill closer to the freeway, not in the walkable areas. Maybe that doesn't matter, since you have a car, but it doesn't look very homey up there. But who knows; maybe there are a few in some better locations.

Lake City? I thought you were concerned about safety.

Lynnwood can work, but Lake Forest Park is nicer, and part of it's on Lake Washington.
I guess I will rule out lake city

Old 07-24-2022, 02:50 AM

808 posts, read 542,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
The suggestion to move further out and have a long commute worked 20 years ago when I lived and worked in the Seattle area....not so sure it would work now. In the early 2000s, I moved from the city out to the Kent area and rented a two bedroom/two bath unit with washer/dryer, fireplace and view of Mt. Rainier for the same price I paid for a one bed/one bath in Seattle. Was paying just under $700 a month...yes it was a long time ago! Recently checked what the unit goes for now...over $2,000 a month. I can see it doubling over 20 years, but tripling? Pretty sure wages haven't tripled during that time period. For instance, I think I was making around $15 per hour at the time and the same job might now pay $30 an hour, but no way $45 an hour. Rent inflation is insane!

You need to take a long view of history.
For a very brief period of time, working-class people in the US were able to live like wealthy people. Most people most of the time cannot afford their own automobiles, cannot afford to eat out every day, or even every week, cannot afford to go to college, or take vacations where they stay in hotels, cannot afford a house full of electronics, and 500 square feet of space per person.

That was an imbalanced life. Unfortunately, people who were born into that think that is normal. Look at the way most people live, during most of history.

We are just going back to normal for the human race.

Get over it. learn to adjust. Learn to live a good, creative, healthy life without a lot of money.
The biggest thing is housing. You will have to share with people. If you can't afford to share a house or apartment, share a room.

Old 07-26-2022, 01:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Edit: wrong thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area