U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 23,962 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving from Boston to move to Seattle in May/June. Has anyone done a trip like this? Any recommendations for side stops? Routes? Anything else?

Thanks!

-m
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 03:51 PM

331 posts, read 1,973,578 times
I have crossed the country at least a dozen times... The best advice I can give you is... if you think about stopping to see something...DO IT!!! I often said to myself, "I'll catch it next time." In a couple of cases what I wanted to see was no longer there. And in a few...that "next time" hasn't come.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Old 01-05-2007, 06:51 AM

295 posts, read 591,405 times
This is an excellent time for this trip, while the prairies are still green, before the heat of summer.

The most direct route I-90 takes you through Chicago, which is a great city if you want to go there, but otherwise is even more miserable to drive through than Boston (pre-dig). Take I-284 around it unless you want to go into the city. The only other noteworthy attraction on this route is the Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore, which frankly are much more of a tourist attraction than a scenic natural area.

If you have 2 extra days, what I'd do instead is cross at Niagara Falls, perhaps visit Toronto (now, that's a truly great city!), then take 400 north and 17 west to Sault St. Marie, then 41 29 and 2 across the upper peninsula of MI and northern WI (this is gorgeous in spring, and June is still spring there!) to Duluth. Then pick up I-94 at Fargo to I-90 at Billings.

If you still have 2 extra days, instead take US Hwy 2 all the way from Duluth to Seattle. This goes through rather scenic forest and lakes in N MN, across ND and the MT "High Line", far more interesting, scenic and quintessentially "Old West", "High Plains" and "Big Sky" than any interstate. US 2 then goes around Glacier National Park (or better, go through the park on the Going-to-the-Sun road, which typically opens in early June), around Lake Pend Orielle in N ID, past Grand Coulee Dam and over Steven's Pass in WA.

This route is not the big detour it may seem; it is only about 140 miles longer than the most direct 3083 miles on boring old I-80! The reason is I-80 is itself a detour for you, dropping south around the Great Lakes and through the traffic of Cleveland, Toledo, Gary and Chicago... not a pleasant detour. So avoid all that, stay north, and go between the Great Lakes, instead.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:14 AM

thanks for the great info!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:37 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,449,506 times
We did the drive from Maryland to Seattle in Oct. of 2005. We took three weeks and spent a good portion of it in Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota. Yellowstone was fantastic and easily could have stayed there a week instead of the 4 days we did. We will be doing the more southern route as we return to Pennsylvania next month. For that trip we are stopping in San Francisco, Yosemite, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon area and Sante Fe for some site seeing. The rest will be more drive though since we have seen most of the part of the country. We plan to do three weeks again.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
This is an excellent time for this trip, while the prairies are still green, before the heat of summer.

The most direct route I-90 takes you through Chicago, which is a great city if you want to go there, but otherwise is even more miserable to drive through than Boston (pre-dig). Take I-284 around it unless you want to go into the city. The only other noteworthy attraction on this route is the Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore, which frankly are much more of a tourist attraction than a scenic natural area.

If you have 2 extra days, what I'd do instead is cross at Niagara Falls, perhaps visit Toronto (now, that's a truly great city!), then take 400 north and 17 west to Sault St. Marie, then 41 29 and 2 across the upper peninsula of MI and northern WI (this is gorgeous in spring, and June is still spring there!) to Duluth. Then pick up I-94 at Fargo to I-90 at Billings.

If you still have 2 extra days, instead take US Hwy 2 all the way from Duluth to Seattle. This goes through rather scenic forest and lakes in N MN, across ND and the MT "High Line", far more interesting, scenic and quintessentially "Old West", "High Plains" and "Big Sky" than any interstate. US 2 then goes around Glacier National Park (or better, go through the park on the Going-to-the-Sun road, which typically opens in early June), around Lake Pend Orielle in N ID, past Grand Coulee Dam and over Steven's Pass in WA.

This route is not the big detour it may seem; it is only about 140 miles longer than the most direct 3083 miles on boring old I-80! The reason is I-80 is itself a detour for you, dropping south around the Great Lakes and through the traffic of Cleveland, Toledo, Gary and Chicago... not a pleasant detour. So avoid all that, stay north, and go between the Great Lakes, instead.
Hi, I'm very interested in following the you recommendations by taking RT. 2 from Duluth. Can you make any recommendation as for other places to stop? Good places to spend the night? Area to avoid?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:27 PM

10,194 posts, read 25,587,351 times
I endorse this recommendation and add get a couple of either free AAA books on the various States you'll be passing through or a good tour-guide book (many are available second-hand) and check out what appeals to you and see how you can fit those sites into your itinerary. Also if you are young, or adventureous, stay at the hostels--many are as good as a motel

I regret not taking even more time--and thinking about another trip, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
I have crossed the country at least a dozen times... The best advice I can give you is... if you think about stopping to see something...DO IT!!! I often said to myself, "I'll catch it next time." In a couple of cases what I wanted to see was no longer there. And in a few...that "next time" hasn't come.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Old 01-11-2007, 06:17 PM

270 posts, read 1,174,235 times
I drove when I moved from Indiana to Seattle in 1988. That was in August, and August in North Dakota (I rode I-94 for its length) is beautiful, and the people are great. Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park is worth an extended stop.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:35 AM

295 posts, read 591,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingtrees View Post
Hi, I'm very interested in following your recommendations by taking RT. 2 from Duluth [to Seattle]. Can you make any recommendation as for other places to stop? Good places to spend the night? Area to avoid?

Thanks again for your help.
It's been years since I've driven it. Most of it is 2 lane, and does go through towns, not around them... which is part of the charm of getting off the interstates. The drive from Duluth to Bemidji MN is particularly pretty (lakes, woods), and that's a nice stop, too. Most of the towns across ND and E MT have points of interest, and a lot of local flavor (and great grass-fed beef, too!). That High Line route is really the Big Sky Country. Most of the remainder (W MT, N ID, WA) is highly scenic.

I haven't driven it lately, but have more-or-less flown Hwy 2 several times in a small plane, instead. So I tend to think more of the panoramic scenery than of the roadside attractions. Hopefully others can offer better insight than I?

Have a safe trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area