Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 05:24 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times

Advertisements

Over 7 years ago I moved to northgate seattle and felt safe there.

Over the past 1 year I dont feel safe in northgate like I did 7 years ago.

This afternoon at 3.15pm in the qfc northgate parking lot when I got out of my car some mentally unstable person tried to attack me in the qfc parking lot.

He grabbed my shirt but luckily I was able to get away and he tried to follow me into qfc.

Because of this incident im considering moving out of northgate to a safer nieghborhood even if it's outside seattle city limits.

Over the past year at target northgate and qfc northgate I have noticed a downgrade in the customer base compared to 7 years ago.

The new customer base at qfc northgate and target northgate seems like the type of people who are there to steal stuff and harm people.

Has anyone else noticed this change in northgate?? Or is it just me??

Is there now more subsidized housing in northgate that is bringing these people into northagte??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 10:49 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
QFC Northgate? Do you mean the QFC on N'gate Way, over close to 15th NE? Or is there another QFC in or close to the mall area?

IDK about subsidized housing. I doubt it. I think they tend to hang out in ravines like the one the bridge farther south on 15th NE crosses, and come up to the street during the day. And people say, they follow the I-5 freeway northward from the U District and the Ravenna-Bryant area.

Weren't you considering buying a condo somewhere? Have you done any looking around? What areas have you been looking in? I vaguely recall Edmonds was suggested. I don't remember the rest of the discussion though.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
QFC Northgate? Do you mean the QFC on N'gate Way, over close to 15th NE? Or is there another QFC in or close to the mall area?

IDK about subsidized housing. I doubt it. I think they tend to hang out in ravines like the one the bridge farther south on 15th NE crosses, and come up to the street during the day. And people say, they follow the I-5 freeway northward from the U District and the Ravenna-Bryant area.

Weren't you considering buying a condo somewhere? Have you done any looking around? What areas have you been looking in? I vaguely recall Edmonds was suggested. I don't remember the rest of the discussion though.
The qfc on roosvelt way and northgate way.

Im still looking at buying a condo in July 2023 when my apartment lease expires.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:09 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Over 7 years ago I moved to northgate seattle and felt safe there.

Over the past 1 year I dont feel safe in northgate like I did 7 years ago.

This afternoon at 3.15pm in the qfc northgate parking lot when I got out of my car some mentally unstable person tried to attack me in the qfc parking lot.

He grabbed my shirt but luckily I was able to get away and he tried to follow me into qfc.

Because of this incident im considering moving out of northgate to a safer nieghborhood even if it's outside seattle city limits.

Over the past year at target northgate and qfc northgate I have noticed a downgrade in the customer base compared to 7 years ago.

The new customer base at qfc northgate and target northgate seems like the type of people who are there to steal stuff and harm people.

Has anyone else noticed this change in northgate?? Or is it just me??

Is there now more subsidized housing in northgate that is bringing these people into northagte??
Most of the time, Northgate is pretty safe. It’s just near those commercial areas on Northgate Way, you are just going to run into a weirdo now and then. They’ve also had a few issues by the light rail station later in the evening. Just be aware of your surroundings and use common sense. If you feel unsafe at that store, find another one to go to. Annonymous, do you have a car these days? Perhaps a condo in Lynnwood (with closeby access to all the shopping options of Alderwood) would be a good fit for you.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:16 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Folks living in affordable housing aren't causing problems. That type of housing is either case-managed (so you're checked up on) or MFTE/LIHTC type housing which also have qualification thresholds (e.g., income).

Northgate is in a state of transition. The old land uses (retail) are mostly gone, so folks aren't really going to Northgate anymore except for Target, Best Buy, Barnes and Noble etc. Once the redevelopment really kicks into gear, and folks have a reason to live in and/or return to the core Northgate zone again, I'm sure it'll be fine.

But yes, if you're living in a city, you should take a look around you before you get out of your car. I'd recommend that in Edmonds or Northgate or anywhere else you're at here.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Most of the time, Northgate is pretty safe. It’s just near those commercial areas on Northgate Way, you are just going to run into a weirdo now and then. They’ve also had a few issues by the light rail station later in the evening. Just be aware of your surroundings and use common sense. If you feel unsafe at that store, find another one to go to. Annonymous, do you have a car these days? Perhaps a condo in Lynnwood (with closeby access to all the shopping options of Alderwood) would be a good fit for you.
Yes I do have a car these days. I'm going to go to another grocery store from now on.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Yes I do have a car these days. I'm going to go to another grocery store from now on.
That's very concerning. That QFC was about 3 blocks from my house, when I lived in Seattle. I walked there all the time. It was very impressive when they moved into that building. They cleaned up the creek area on one side of the parking lot, and created a little park with picnic tables. They rented out space in the store to Cinnabon and a bagel shop, which attracted a coffee-klatch crowd, who became new customers of the store after hanging out there for coffee and cinnamon rolls. The store became busy and very successful. The whole chain followed that formula, and really took off in terms of financial success of the brand, and it soared in value on the stock market. Then after Kroger bought it out from Fred Meyer, Kroger didn't keep the original managers, so it went downhill fast.

It's concerning that homelessness has spread into that neighborhood. It is (was??) a real hidden gem of a neighborhood. I'm sorry that happened to you, OP.

So, I assume this and the other changes you mention have affected your original plans (years ago) of staying in the N'gate neighborhood. You could try looking for a condo in Maple Leaf, if you want to stay in Seattle (still safe and family-oriented, mainly), or as we suggested on your thread about moving, you could look in the northern suburbs. Edmonds, Mukilteo perhaps, Lynnwood (development is happening as the light rail gets extended there), or Lake Forest Park, are good areas.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's very concerning. That QFC was about 3 blocks from my house, when I lived in Seattle. I walked there all the time. It was very impressive when they moved into that building. They cleaned up the creek area on one side of the parking lot, and created a little park with picnic tables. They rented out space in the store to Cinnabon and a bagel shop, which attracted a coffee-klatch crowd, who became new customers of the store after hanging out there for coffee and cinnamon rolls. The store became busy and very successful. The whole chain followed that formula, and really took off in terms of financial success of the brand, and it soared in value on the stock market. Then after Kroger bought it out from Fred Meyer, Kroger didn't keep the original managers, so it went downhill fast.

It's concerning that homelessness has spread into that neighborhood. It is (was??) a real hidden gem of a neighborhood. I'm sorry that happened to you, OP.

So, I assume this and the other changes you mention have affected your original plans (years ago) of staying in the N'gate neighborhood. You could try looking for a condo in Maple Leaf, if you want to stay in Seattle (still safe and family-oriented, mainly), or as we suggested on your thread about moving, you could look in the northern suburbs. Edmonds, Mukilteo perhaps, Lynnwood (development is happening as the light rail gets extended there), or Lake Forest Park, are good areas.
For years I really really enjoyed and liked living in northgate seattle. Because of what happened to me in the qfc parking lot im having second thoughts.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:00 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:

The QFCs at University Village, Holman Rd near 8th Ave NW in Seattle and the one at 15th NE and 145th St all seem pretty mellow when I go in them, perhaps one of those would work for you.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:25 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times
Quote:
For years I really really enjoyed and liked living in northgate seattle. Because of what happened to me in the qfc parking lot im having second thoughts.
You are going to have to decide if it was a random one-off event by someone who just happened to be in Northgate at the time or whether this is a typical event that will occur several times in Northgate because of who lives or goes there.

You only mention this one time, and you only mention the appearance of other people there rather than their actions. Have you seen it occur at other times? Have neighbors said it has happened to them? These are the things to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area