Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 12:27 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,869,243 times

Advertisements

One could make a case that a large portion of the suicides in East and South Asia and honor killings in Islamic countries are ultimately due to people being overly friendly (aka nosy). Your standing in your immediate densely populated community can be critical to your happiness in life. And ensuring your family is not dishonored in Islamic countries can be a matter of life and death. Everywhere you are being watched by "friends". In Iran, the friendly concern for your head covering is now global news. One of my southern US friends told me that the friendliness there is ultimately a need for gossiping and small talk! In Italy and Spain, the socializing and siesta lifestyle is often blamed for their economic problems versus northern Europe.

How Sweden survives without small talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JrfZH3VZSI

Last edited by usernametaken; 12-05-2022 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 02:38 PM

7,549 posts, read 17,292,109 times
The U.S. South is definitely a hotbed of gossip lifestyle. (I grew up in an Appalachian town of 16,000.) I'll take polite disinterest of the PNW any day. I genuinely know where I stand with most northwesterners.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:07 PM

8,186 posts, read 8,352,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The U.S. South is definitely a hotbed of gossip lifestyle. (I grew up in an Appalachian town of 16,000.) I'll take polite disinterest of the PNW any day. I genuinely know where I stand with most northwesterners.

Where are you from jago? I know the Western NC Appalachians (Boone, Newland, Asheville, Sylva, Brevard) really well.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:05 PM

7,549 posts, read 17,292,109 times
Very cool I grew up in the Tri-Cities (TN/VA), but Asheville and Boone are both within 90 minutes of my family's place. If I was moving back, I'd definitely be looking mostly at the NC highlands, mostly around Madison County for me. Great part of the country.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Very cool I grew up in the Tri-Cities (TN/VA), but Asheville and Boone are both within 90 minutes of my family's place. If I was moving back, I'd definitely be looking mostly at the NC highlands, mostly around Madison County for me. Great part of the country.
I know Tri-Cities well, have flown in there a number of times. My family of origin lives in Miami but for many years we’ve had a little cabin in a true “holler” just south of Newland NC that even you have probably never heard of, Minneapolis NC . Another way to get there is to head north of Weaverville, take 19E east past Spruce Pine to Minneapolis. Some things I remember about Tri-Cities: we would go to TN to buy fireworks, there was also some epic fun 5 “bars in 1 bar” place there, country music but much more than that. Also, for years it seems that Tri-Cities had this tower at the airport that you could actually go up on and watch the planes come in and depart. Oh, and my grandfather had a little cabin near Franklin-Sylva when I was young. The waterfalls and rivers near there are quite beautiful, we were regulars at that Sliding Rock place near Brevard! Good fun, ice cold.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 12-05-2022 at 07:33 PM..

Old 12-05-2022, 08:43 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,256,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've driven everywhere. Seattle has some decent, friendly drivers.
Agreed. There are plenty of jerks on the road to be sure but overall the drivers here tend to be better than anywhere else I’ve lived. Even the jerks seem to be more attentive to their aggressive driving which IMO is way better than some idiot playing on their phone while driving.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:48 PM

1,896 posts, read 851,802 times
Quote:
WHAT?? Lol!

Old 12-06-2022, 05:49 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,723,728 times
Quote:
There are some friendly ones of course, but overall it's not a great place for traffic safety:
https://kuow.org/stories/slow-down-p...t-coast-states

Old 12-06-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Agreed, I've driven all over the world and people are pretty nice here. Ever driven in Miami?. Road rage is rampant, very very intense.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:41 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,869,243 times
This is the only large city that I have been to where I rarely see people driving over 80 mph on the highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area