Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 06:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 858,798 times

Advertisements

Cuba is a place I have always, always, always wanted to go, so thank you for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 09:07 PM

8,188 posts, read 8,357,263 times
Oh, forgot to mention, you need to take cash when you go as you can’t use US atm cards there. Never once did I feel like I was in danger with the cash. Things were actually really affordable and it was hard to spend it.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:33 PM

7,549 posts, read 17,297,946 times
I remember that too. At that time (not sure if still) they had a dual currency, basically the Cuban currency then a second one indexed to the US dollar. I remember tipping $10 and peoples' faces just changing instantly. It was much more money in the Cuban currency.

Also not sure if this is also still true, but you have to pay an exit fee in the Cuban currency, so make sure you reserve some before you leave. It was not a big fee, but it had to be paid.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I remember that too. At that time (not sure if still) they had a dual currency, basically the Cuban currency then a second one indexed to the US dollar. I remember tipping $10 and peoples' faces just changing instantly. It was much more money in the Cuban currency.

Also not sure if this is also still true, but you have to pay an exit fee in the Cuban currency, so make sure you reserve some before you leave. It was not a big fee, but it had to be paid.
They’ve done away with the exit fee!

Old 12-06-2022, 11:43 PM

7,549 posts, read 17,297,946 times
Nice. That was a major sticking point, I saw a few exiting tourists in somewhat of a panic because they'd already given away all their Cuban cash prior to heading to the airport.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:48 AM

5,777 posts, read 11,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Oh, forgot to mention, you need to take cash when you go as you can’t use US atm cards there. Never once did I feel like I was in danger with the cash. Things were actually really affordable and it was hard to spend it.
That's no small hurdle these days on a trip that lasts more than a week or so. You wrote a good trip report and it certainly makes me interested in taking a trip to Cuba. I'd like to do a bike riding trip for a month or so if I went. I would bring my German bank ATM card so at least I would not have to carry as much cash. I would do plenty of planning to know where to find ATMs that would be compatible.

Here in Germany I know a few Cubans who have lived here for over 3 decades. Most came here when East Germany was still a communist country, and they came as students and ended up staying. I speak Spanish fluently so we usually speak in Spanish instead of German. They all tell me that if I ever visit Cuba they have some relatives where I would be welcome to stay - that would certainly be a great experience.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:51 AM

529 posts, read 1,207,826 times
Question Cons

Thank you for sharing. I've been thinking of visiting random parts of the world, and Cuba never even occurred to me.
What negatives did you experience?

Old 12-07-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Thank you for sharing. I've been thinking of visiting random parts of the world, and Cuba never even occurred to me.

None really, people were great. Cuba is having tough inflation, supply chain/blockade issues, not much to buy in stores. Also, electricity cuts off (usually during the day) but that's something I've experienced in many parts of the world.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Oldsmobile, besides my day job , I have a little travel blog of a number of “off the beaten path” places I’ve traveled in the world. Here’s the link, may inspire you to go to some out of the way spots. I’m actually writing my little Cuba journey story right now so you’ll see the first couple days there. There are about 20 other journeys. https://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/vinceinseattle/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: