Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 09:56 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times

Advertisements

Since Biden took office, Cuba visitation possibilities have increased dramatically. I prefer to travel independently so had avoided Cuba as my perception was that as an American, I would have to join a group/cultural exchange, some kind of scripted tour. I was 100 percent wrong, here's how you do it. I just got back and had a great trip, spent most of my time in fantastic and atmospheric Baracoa on the far east part of Cuba. Gorgeous area, lush jungle-like, lots of clean rivers, mountains, distinct culture and cuisine. American Airlines has direct flights Seattle to Miami, with connection direct to Cuba, I chose to fly to a city called Holguin in the far east of the island, not nearly as many travelers go there. Feel free to DM me if you need any help/suggestions.

So, easy squeezy, I booked a round trip Seattle-Holguin, got a great deal $550 RT from Seattle. When you are in the process of buying the ticket, there is a pull down screen where you have to enter the classification/reason you are traveling to Cuba, choose the one called "support for the Cuban people", you are self-designating so it's quite easy. Essentially, you are committing to stay in local homes, have locals experiences, rather than give money to the government or stay in government hotels. It's pretty easy, the places to stay are called "casas particulares", you can book them on Airbnb or just roll into any town and look for the blue anchor symbol in front of homes. You can't bring things like cigars or rum back, you certainly can bring (I did) local handicrafts, paintings, local products, etc.

Make sure your connection in Miami has at least a 2 hour layover, I took the direct red-eye from Seattle so there was a 4 hour layover. When you arrive, in the American terminal, go out into the main airport near check-ins and ask for the "Cuba Ready" booth. There was one person in front of me in line, took 5 minutes, simple. At the booth, you show them your airline ticket, pay $50, get a "Cuba travel card" and you are on your way. If that process and timing makes you nervous at all, it's also possible to order one before your trip that can be mailed/Fedexed to you. Here's a link: https://cubavisaservices.com/product/touristvisa-card/

You show the travel card when you board your flight to Cuba, when you arrive in Cuba and when you leave to come home. Once you arrive, there are plenty of options ranging from taxis and private cars to locals buses. I love immersive travel so took local buses across the (sometimes rough) northeast coastal road Holguin-Mayari-Moa-Baracoa. Everywhere I went, I found super kind and helpful people thrilled to see a visitor from the US. Prices are quite affordable too, fantastic rooms in historic buildings and with views of the sea $15-$25/night, tasty local coffee 25 cents a cup, really good local meals about $1, delicious rum drinks 75 cents (mine was made with fresh lime and local mountain gathered honey), full on seafood plates less than $5, fresh fruit in abundance. Full day mountain bike rental $5, affordable local guides for climbs, tours. Loved the trip!

Last edited by homesinseattle; 12-06-2022 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 10:22 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,101 times
Very interesting. Do they require vaccination proof in Cuba or in the US on the way back? Or on the way to Miami?

Old 12-06-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Very interesting. Do they require vaccination proof in Cuba or in the US on the way back? Or on the way to Miami?

Neither way for vaccination proof. I had it with my passport and the Cuban officials didn't seem that interested in it. Wasn't asked at all when I got back to Miami immigration.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:04 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Very cool! Thanks for the info!

Old 12-06-2022, 11:11 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
https://www.hrw.org/americas/cuba

Old 12-06-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post

Yup jdhpa, won't affect your visit in any way though, I felt 100 percent safe on my trip, day and night. The actions of the government aren't the Cuban people's fault, this "support for the Cuban people" category allows and encourages travelers to interact directly with the people, who are allowed to make money by renting rooms in their homes, connected efficiencies. They feel like normal airbnb spaces, quite nice.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 12-06-2022 at 11:59 AM..

Old 12-06-2022, 12:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Do you speak Spanish, OP? It sounds like you do.

Did you consider making such a trip during the Obama Admin's "thaw" with Cuba? Cubans were wildly enthusiastic about that shift in the relationship. Seems it would have been an exciting time to go.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:26 PM

Yes, I do know some Spanish, Ruth. It was helpful but not essential. Nope, my dreams were elsewhere on the planet during the Obama years.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:19 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I was in Cuba in 2013, the height of the shift. Folks were pretty interested in new revenue streams. I ate in several home-based restaurants. The people were amazing, the streets were clean and safe. I saw a few destitute folks (beggars) in the central city of Havana, but nothing like what we have in Seattle. I did hear some stories about critiques of dissent, but again, compared to what Jenny Durkan and the Seattle Police did to folks protesting here in Capitol Hill in 2020... (I was there, got tear gassed and hit with objects, standing shoulder to shoulder with so many other Seattleites....)

The entire island was beautiful. There were a lot of European tourists there. Seemed like the only folks who were really paranoid about Cuba were Americans.

Old 12-06-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I was in Cuba in 2013, the height of the shift. Folks were pretty interested in new revenue streams. I ate in several home-based restaurants. The people were amazing, the streets were clean and safe. I saw a few destitute folks (beggars) in the central city of Havana, but nothing like what we have in Seattle. I did hear some stories about critiques of dissent, but again, compared to what Jenny Durkan and the Seattle Police did to folks protesting here in Capitol Hill in 2020... (I was there, got tear gassed and hit with objects, standing shoulder to shoulder with so many other Seattleites....)

The entire island was beautiful. There were a lot of European tourists there. Seemed like the only folks who were really paranoid about Cuba were Americans.

Agreed, really nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: