Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 10:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,246,239 times

Advertisements

I live in downtown Seattle. From my experience and in my view, street disorder has gotten quite a bit better since 2021, and much better since 2020.

We have almost no "screaming meanies" (folks who wander around and yell) and I actually haven't seen anyone doing this since last summer. We also have NO tents in my specific neighborhood and we haven't for 8+ months.

The nucleus of downtown (3rd Ave) is still rough by a long shot, I wouldn't recommend a tourist randomly stroll up and down 3rd Avenue. But if you're crossing it to get to Pike Place or vice versa, you'll be fine. If you want to walk north-south in downtown, take 1st, 2nd, or 5th avenues and you'll be fine.

The City is pretty much functioning normally now, except we have a lot of retail and office vacancy like many other urban downtowns.

However, we do have a lot of of open drug use. If you're walking up to Cap Hill, or over towards Belltown, you will likely encounter specific bus stops where folks are smoking fentanyl. Just keep walking and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 10:55 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,246,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oabmarcus View Post
The homeless just moved their encampments from downtown to underneath the I-5 bridges and highways. Just sweeping the issue to another part of seattle, no actual resolutoin insight.
This isn't true at all. The City and County are working very diligently (and spending a lot of taxpayer money and business money through JumpStart funds) to acquire and/or fund a lot of new housing units specifically for these folks. We also now have a centralized housing command center the function of which is to specifically get folks into more permanent housing.

So far, it's working well. We have many fewer tents in places like under I-5 downtown, in random neighborhood dead-end streets, in downtown parks, etc. That doesn't mean you won't see a tent, but the frequency and alarming upward velocity from years 2021-2022 has abated.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
This isn't true at all. The City and County are working very diligently (and spending a lot of taxpayer money and business money through JumpStart funds) to acquire and/or fund a lot of new housing units specifically for these folks. We also now have a centralized housing command center the function of which is to specifically get folks into more permanent housing.

So far, it's working well. We have many fewer tents in places like under I-5 downtown, in random neighborhood dead-end streets, in downtown parks, etc. That doesn't mean you won't see a tent, but the frequency and alarming upward velocity from years 2021-2022 has abated.
The problem is that the existing encampments are bring so much more crime, maybe less of them but more problematic as they are the most hardcore homeless.

https://komonews.com/news/local/seat...sewage-campers

https://www.king5.com/article/news/c...e-345b5fc16969

Old 02-08-2023, 11:41 AM

1,684 posts, read 2,711,210 times
Yeah, and many of the homeless that left haven't gone far. Rural towns are seeing more. Some other nearby area with fewer resources is now dealing with the problem.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:42 AM

117 posts, read 143,515 times
Downtown is definitely doing better... for Seattle. It is still a medium city with the 3rd largest homeless population in the country and a serious drug problem. As a tourist you are probably going to see a homeless camp or three and they probably are not going to bother you. You will probably see someone doing or having just done some serious drugs if you ride public transportation.

If you went to Chicago you would see that there are not, in fact, gangs constantly shooting at each other in the museums and restaurants. You are not risking your life coming to Seattle. Come see for yourself.

Old 02-13-2023, 04:01 PM

1,827 posts, read 808,990 times
On the drive today from the Edmonds ferry to Issaquah, there were yet even more tents, tarps & garbage all along the route, than I have ever seen before. There was even a huge "house" made of what looked like tarps & pallets. This was all along the sides & slopes of I-5 and I-90; also never-ending graffiti on freeway walls, overpasses, tunnels.

Old 02-13-2023, 04:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
On the drive today from the Edmonds ferry to Issaquah, there were yet even more tents, tarps & garbage all along the route, than I have ever seen before. There was even a huge "house" made of what looked like tarps & pallets. This was all along the sides & slopes of I-5 and I-90; also never-ending graffiti on freeway walls, overpasses, tunnels.
As I enter the I90 tunnel coming home from work in Seattle I am amazed at the extent of the graffiti, and wonder how they can possibly do all that with cars zooming by. It's literally floor to ceiling about the first 3rd of the tunnel. What you noticed is the reason it seems better in Seattle, they get moved and head for state right-of-way property where no one bothers them.

Old 02-13-2023, 09:16 PM

1,827 posts, read 808,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
What you noticed is the reason it seems better in Seattle, they get moved and head for state right-of-way property where no one bothers them.
Yes, that's why I pointed it out, in case anyone is under the illusion that Seattle is OK. It isn't OK, it's disgusting.

Old Today, 11:03 AM

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
This is true. Some areas become better, but where do the homeless go when the area is cleaned up? The answer is somewhere else in the city.
In my opinion I disagree with you over the years I saw that the problems of homelessness have been getting worse. I'm driving on I-5 and see so many tents and its raining and snowing outside.

Old Today, 01:52 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,885,926 times
Homeless concentrate along freeways because we've kicked them out of a lot of other places. Freeways are easier for them due to the state handling policing instead of cities iirc. That said, we need to clean them up too, and I'm ok with any penalty you can think of for graffiti.

My daily life on the northern fringe of Downtown doesn't really involve homeless, though I walk quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area