Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2023, 04:05 PM

24 posts, read 20,130 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at rural communities to retire to. Hoping to find about 5+ acres.

This area interests me, online. Wondering about the reality of it? Any feedback?

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 04:48 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
If you are conservative and have a large, lifted pick up truck you'll fit in just fine.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:54 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestImp View Post
My husband and I are looking at rural communities to retire to. Hoping to find about 5+ acres.

This area interests me, online. Wondering about the reality of it? Any feedback?

Thanks so much in advance!
Arlington was a lumber town back in the day, and also had a lot of family farms in the area. We first started visiting there for the novelty of a small town still like mid-20th century, the cafes served locals, the waitresses called you sweetie as she poured your coffee, the store clerks greeted you, the townspeople nodded as you passed on the sidewalks. Then it got "discovered.

Just of the I-5 corridor, it's become a suburb of other more populated business centers. The locals seem to have gone underground and now the passersby seem to be out of towners looking for some entertainment. A lot of the old businesses are gone, and judging by the number of residential "developments" so are the farmers. Where there used to be no traffic, now that's all there is, traffic and more traffic.

We don't go there much anymore.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:56 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
If you are conservative and have a large, lifted pick up truck you'll fit in just fine.

I think the reality is more nuanced than that, lots of organic farmers hiding out there in the countryside as well, sizable Hispanic community too. I like Arlington actually, has a characterful historic core, easy reach to some beautiful mountains out toward Darrington as well. IMO, it's one of the best price to value locations in the region, especially as you get out past Jordan Road and Arlington Heights.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:47 PM

For a more politically mixed area that has retirees, rural acreage and is a little nicer, check out Camano Island.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:03 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
For a more politically mixed area that has retirees, rural acreage and is a little nicer, check out Camano Island.
Yeah, I agree with that, a lot of artists live on Camano. “The San Juan Island you can drive to”.

Old 02-08-2023, 12:50 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Agree with Camano, seemingly pronounced Camino by longtimers.

To add to the list, you could look at the Belfair-Shelton area. Not far from Bremerton, Tacoma, Hood Canal. Maybe a little less artsy than Camano, but it is still largely old school / not gentrified.

Old 02-08-2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Agree with Camano, seemingly pronounced Camino by longtimers.
Yeah "Camino" is the "Boeings" of Island County. Local dialect.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:34 PM

234 posts, read 162,061 times
I live just outside Darrington and work in Arlington. If you like the outdoors, it's a nice place to live as you are a stone's throw from the Cascades. I would find a property that is not right off Highway 530 personally. Come summer, it gets very busy with tourists heading out to Darrington and beyond to go sightseeing/camping/etc.

There are lots of options for food nearby. Couple grocery stores (Safeway, Grocery Outlet) within the actual town area, and then several others (Costco, Winco, Haggens) several miles down I5. Good hardware/garden co-op right in town. Cute little farmer's market in the park downtown during the summer. Several Farms in the area. Hospital isn't great, but there are other options nearby for serious medical needs.

Seeing many more people moving to the area from out of state/Seattle, looking to escape the big city life....even out here in Darrington. Other smaller(ish) towns you might consider looking at in this region are the Sedro Wooley area and also areas east of Bellingham heading towards Deming area.

Yes, the smaller towns are more conservaive minded but there is mostly a live-and let live attitude. As long as you (as an "outsider") don't move in and try and critique people's way of life up here and start trying to change things to be "like they were back home", you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area