Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 09:27 PM

23 posts, read 20,044 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I need your advice. My lease is expiring this month and my landlord came with a proposal to raise my rent by 800 dollars per month. This is totally un-affordable to me but he said that 2 years ago when I signed the lease I locked him at a low rate and thus he lost money all these months because of our contract.

Now he wants to recover that money by raising rent by astronomical amount. I refused his offer and told him that I will vacate the house. Now he is demanding that I restore the house to the "same" condition it was in when I moved it otherwise he will forfeit my entire deposit.

What can I do? has anyone faced similar situation? are there any laws in washington which protect the tenant against exploitation like this?

Edit: I did some googling and found this https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/fi...nts-rights.pdf Let me know if you know of more resources which I can use.

Last edited by abhishes; 02-21-2023 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 07:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Since you have a lease signed by both parties, the terms for return of your deposit are outlined in it. There can be no changes to what's in the lease without another paper document signed by both parties amending the first. See what the conditions are for the deposit to be returned in the lease and meet them. If it's not returned, you can get legal help or sue in small claims court. You were only there two years, it seems like the condition should still be very close to what it was when you moved in.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:09 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Now he is demanding that I restore the house to the "same" condition it was in when I moved it otherwise he will forfeit my entire deposit.
OP, I don't see the problem with this. You've left a chunk of information out of your post. Why wouldn't the house be in the same condition it was in 2 years ago? Have either you or the LL made changes to the house during your tenancy?

Old 02-22-2023, 08:28 AM

23 posts, read 20,044 times
No I didn't make any changes. However there will be some wear and tear right? things specially like wooden floors don't remain the same in 2 years. We can surely get it cleaned etc but it won't be the same as 2 years before.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:33 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
As Hemlock140 said, refer to your lease. Normal wear and tear is expected. You only need be concerned if you caused more than normal wear and tear which is a factual issue.

Document everything. Get witnesses to view the property before you move. If your landlord tries to keep your deposit unjustly, you can file a case in JP court to recover your deposit, court costs, and attorney fees.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:55 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
That is standard that the house must be returned in the same condition (or better) so if you want your deposit back, scrub the house until it is spotlessly clean and repair any damage that you have done. If the house is dirty or damaged, then the landlord will do the repairs and pay for the repairs out of your deposit.

Two years of living on wooden floors should not do any damage to them, so if you have damaged them, you are going to have to pay for the repairs.

Be sure to give your notice that you are vacating in writing, with a firm move-out date.

Old 02-22-2023, 01:51 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I have rented out many places.
Your house should have typical wear and that is acceptable.
Unless you were negligent and abused it you should receive all of your deposit back.
You should not be liable for repainting the walls unless you did something stupid to them.
Same goes for the floors, they should have typical wear from 2 years of residence.
It is absurd that you would have to give it back in the exact same condition that it was when you first rented it.
Normal wear is not on you.
Do a good clean up and take pictures.
Hopefully you took pictures when you moved in.
Always take pictures when you move in .

Old 02-22-2023, 02:43 PM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Yeah, normal wear and tear is to be expected after two years. As for the raising of rents, that was going to happen no matter what and I can’t blame properly owner for doing so since they took a beyond massive hit in 2020, 2021 and well into 2022. Now, throw in inflation on top of that now. Everybody saw this coming.

Hopefully your lease notes something about normal wear and tear AND if it’s truly normal wear and tear, you should be good. Patching the holes in the wall is beyond easy too.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:11 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
A little late for everything.

Use Magic Eraser to remove scuff wall and cabinet marks.

Clean kitchen cabinets.
Clean stove.
Clean range hood.
Clean everything to spotless.
Our tenants have left our rental as good as first rented (2 years) and we immediately re-elected without further work.
Gave the tenants glowing references and full refund of deposits.

As a landlord, I argue with the Management company that we should raise rents every year, even by a token amount of 1%.
Good luck.

Old 02-23-2023, 12:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishes View Post
Hello Everyone,

I need your advice. My lease is expiring this month and my landlord came with a proposal to raise my rent by 800 dollars per month. This is totally un-affordable to me but he said that 2 years ago when I signed the lease I locked him at a low rate and thus he lost money all these months because of our contract.

Now he wants to recover that money by raising rent by astronomical amount. I refused his offer and told him that I will vacate the house. Now he is demanding that I restore the house to the "same" condition it was in when I moved it otherwise he will forfeit my entire deposit.

What can I do? ...
DH and I are Seattle landlords. Your landlord cannot do what he's doing. Without going into all the ways he is inaccurate, just go here:

https://tenantsunion.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: