Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 04:23 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,255,430 times

Advertisements

Uh, Amazon has paused all office tower construction in the Bellevue CBD that didn't have a crane in the ground. And those that are under construction have been instructed to deliver in shell condition as Amazon decides what it wants to do over there. Amazon may be moving people to Bellevue, but it sure hasn't happened (at that scale) yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2023, 06:46 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,862,623 times
Yes, but if the company's work from home trend is reversed, they can continue with their plans down the road. They already hit 10k employees last year:

https://downtownbellevue.com/2022/06...th-years-come/

Old 02-25-2023, 08:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,758 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
This list cracks me up. Palo Alto and Boulder next to Rochester NY and Lexington KY.
Likewise, many of us in high tech, would never consider living in metro. Our life revolves around our livestock, farms, families, and neighbors, rather than our employment. But we are daily inventing cool and innovative stuff (much of what you enjoy today, and products which grew and availed your very employment), being awarded patents and getting the same pay and opportunities as our metro dwellers.

Homes in Palo Alto used to be less than the cost of a current auto, and it was a great low population place to live and raise a family. Lexington employment allow many innovators at IBM and Lexmark to enjoy their horses and rural recreation and a good paying career. No metro hassles or risks.

My longest commute has been 14 min., yet I can have my cows and tractors and QUIET neighborhood. (and NO stoplights in my entire county (one of the largest in WA)

Different strokes for different folks, but when there was no internet, WFH, .... There were many excellent high tech jobs in some great places to live. (Which no longer includes downtown Seattle, or many other metros in the USA)

Thank goodness.

" 16,000 Amazon workers launched a petition to fight CEO Andy Jassy’s mandate to return to office"

...then there were NONE. No jobs Won't be the first time employers 'retook control', or the last

Old 02-25-2023, 08:51 AM

13,078 posts, read 7,543,778 times
4-8 week move in specials in Redmond new builds.
YMMV

Old 02-25-2023, 10:39 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,429,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Homes in Palo Alto used to be less than the cost of a current auto, and it was a great low population place to live and raise a family. Lexington employment allow many innovators at IBM and Lexmark to enjoy their horses and rural recreation and a good paying career. No metro hassles or risks.

My longest commute has been 14 min., yet I can have my cows and tractors and QUIET neighborhood. (and NO stoplights in my entire county (one of the largest in WA)

Different strokes for different folks, but when there was no internet, WFH, .... There were many excellent high tech jobs in some great places to live. (Which no longer includes downtown Seattle, or many other metros in the USA)
To each their own. My commute is less than 14 minutes also and I live in Seattle in a quiet neighborhood. Cows and tractors are bucolic, yes, but I also like close proximity to Fred Hutch, UW, Seattle Children's and minutes from a trauma center. I really like having a major airport with nonstop flights to hundreds of cities about 30 minutes away. Civilization has its advantages also and these kind of amenities only exist with population agglomeration. Furthermore, I'm not that far from natural amenities either as Discovery Park is minutes away and the ferry terminal is close by to get to the Olympics for a weekend. And speaking of cows, in the past year, I have serendipitously seen orca pods three times in the Sound on my regular walks in the city.

My point about Palo Alto is those places cannot absorb a large number of people without making housing exorbitant even for rentals and apts. Tech companies putting their headquarters in suburbia Cupertino might help the existing homeowners there, but makes the inequality gap substantially worse for people without assets living in that area. Seattle might be expensive, but you can still rent a clean one bedroom apartment for $1200 in Lower Queen Anne with good transit access. It's hard to do that even in the exurbs of Dallas.

There's a trend lately of people who don't live in the city trashing the city as a dystopic concrete homeless jungle with no redeeming value and being puzzled why anyone would want to live or work in Seattle. The city is a lot more than that and still offers a lot to a wide breadth of people, including those who don't have the privilege of work from home. It has an incredible concentration of cultural and institutional amenities. Seattle has a lot of issues but let the people who are living here improve on the city, no need to put those efforts down and trash it from afar.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:42 AM

45,469 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actofvalor View Post
I just know there are 45,000 employees working in Amazon downtown Seattle.

Why Amazon's offices are in downtown? Everybody knows downtown is much more expensive than suburban area, and employees with school age kids don't like working in downtown.

World wide, no big size company selects downtown as their engineering team's office.
Wait. I thought, and have been lectured to about, how the aim of the New Urbanists was to return employment to the cities and get it out of suburbs.

It sounds to me that Amazon is being a good corporate citizen by having its offices downtown.

Old 02-25-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I permanently WFH (very specialized/niche knowledge and industry) and choose to live in downtown Seattle. I grew up in the countryside and it has its perks, but while some folks are ruralists, others are urbanists. I could get on here and talk about how bad the economy is in rural areas, how bad the meth, fentanyl, and opioid epidemic is in the countryside, or how the selection of foods and cultural events leaves a lot to be desired ...

... but I don't.

Old 02-25-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
My point about Palo Alto is those places cannot absorb a large number of people without making housing exorbitant even for rentals and apts. Tech companies putting their headquarters in suburbia Cupertino might help the existing homeowners there, but makes the inequality gap substantially worse for people without assets living in that area. Seattle might be expensive, but you can still rent a clean one bedroom apartment for $1200 in Lower Queen Anne with good transit access. It's hard to do that even in the exurbs of Dallas.

That's only true (Palo Alto) because they artificially constrain return on land through zoning and permitting process timelines. We also do that in Seattle, but at a much less damaging rate than the San Jose and San Francisco regions.

Old 02-26-2023, 04:24 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,916,327 times
Quote:
Kudos for the many high tech companies who chose to support and equip the smaller, desirable, towns in the USA (and around the world), by locating to where the employees desired to live....
Boulder, Colo Springs, Palo Alto, Roseville, Rancho Bernardo, Beaverton, NC Triangle, Knoxville, Manchester, NH, Rochester, NY, Lexington, KY....

Overseas, numerous wonderful employment locations AWAY from urban metro.

Finance and marketing may best be served and staffed in metro, but the operations and worker bees might prefer a different QoL. I'm so glad we had that option in my fortune 50 company. I would have never considered working for them if I had to move or commute to metro areas. Might as well be a government slave, and work indoors (yuk) 9-5 for 40 yrs (boring). Then hope you don't die of lung cancer (pollution) before retirement eligibility..., or get shot, robbed, raped, killed on your commute or lunch break.

No thanks.
Working in Knoxville may sound nice, but if you want to change companies, for whatever reason, there is a dearth of good professional opportunities…so you are likely uprooting your family and moving…..particularly if both partners are in highly paid jobs. My daughter came up against this and relocated from Knoxville to Seattle, where there is more overall opportunity.

Old 02-27-2023, 05:46 AM

808 posts, read 544,348 times
Quote:
As we speak....
GOOGLE's returning office staff to 'share desks / workspace' with 3rd party 'partners'
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/googl...110301010.html

BTDT... I was "shadowed" by 3rd party 'partners' for over a year. They followed me all over the world, attended all my meetings, presentations, contract negotiations. (2) where from India, (1) from Malaysia, (1) from China (Taiwan contractor). They purposed to learn every step of my job, none were directly employed by my company. Then I got the severance offer... Take it, or stay and get nothing, "BTW, your job no longer exists, as well as 30,000 other engineering jobs in the company").

My 'shadows' took over my role as 'direct business partners' employed by India and Taiwan companies.

My 'shadows' were very strategic .... Within 6 months...they all quit, and were working directly for our company's top competitor.

Yep. Been going on for twenty years and more.
I'd give you a bonus point, but I can't give more than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area