Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 11:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,709 posts, read 81,578,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you sure about that? I've been surprised as to how affordable it is to run central A/C. Window units draw more electricity to run, so if you have more than one, it adds up. Of course with central A/C, the big expense is buying in, but usually, the HVAC guys give you a more efficient furnace in a heat/AC combo unit, so you save a little on winter heating in the bargain. But if you're happy with the electric bills while running 2 window units, there's no need to get central, I guess. Especially in the NW, where you only need to run them for a few days or a week at a time, sporadically.

I don't know what the electrical utilities will do, when the climate becomes warmer consistently, so people have to use A/C more regularly. Are they preparing for that eventuality? Is foresight in their job description? In the Seattle area, it's a public utility; is there any oversight of management?
I've been in the utility business for many years. A typical whole-house AC is using about 55 kWh of electricity
per day, that's $6.60/day at our rates. Here that would be cooling 3,000 sf, and much of it wasted since we are only occupying about 1/3 of that on a typical day. Our window ACs at 6,000 BTUs each use about $1.60/day each. We normally only run one during the day, then at bedtime it goes off, and the bedroom one goes on with timer set for about 4 hours. Our electric rates are reasonable at 9-12 cents/kWh, while in some places, like the hotter East Bay (San Francisco Bay Area on PG & E) it can be as much as .41697/kWh so the difference is much greater. Now if you have a smaller home and use all of the rooms all day, then central AC is more practical even if it costs more to buy and to run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 11:36 AM

102,271 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
We have a heat pump (plus a gas furnance backup for freezing temps as our heat pump doesn't work below certain temps). It also cools in the summer and works great.
It sounds like you've found a strategy that covers your needs. I've never understood exactly what heat pumps are, and how they work.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:00 PM

102,271 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I've been in the utility business for many years. A typical whole-house AC is using about 55 kWh of electricity
per day, that's $6.60/day at our rates. Here that would be cooling 3,000 sf, and much of it wasted since we are only occupying about 1/3 of that on a typical day. Our window ACs at 6,000 BTUs each use about $1.60/day each. We normally only run one during the day, then at bedtime it goes off, and the bedroom one goes on with timer set for about 4 hours. Our electric rates are reasonable at 9-12 cents/kWh, while in some places, like the hotter East Bay (San Francisco Bay Area on PG & E) it can be as much as .41697/kWh so the difference is much greater. Now if you have a smaller home and use all of the rooms all day, then central AC is more practical even if it costs more to buy and to run.
What does a Kw hr cost in Western WA/Seattle area? In NM,it's .16

Old 06-06-2023, 12:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,709 posts, read 81,578,903 times
Quote:
What does a Kw hr cost in Western WA/Seattle area? In NM,it's .16
We are paying $0.11 to $0.13 per kWh depending on the tier, with Puget Sound Energy in Sammamish. In Seattle it's Seattle City Light, and they charge slightly more, $0.1132 to $0.1307.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:21 AM

32,706 posts, read 48,291,572 times
I've lived with window units and the cost wasn't all that bad to run them. I prefer the whole house forced air but that costs $6,000 to have installed, or even more if you have to install the entire duct work system. The window units are a couple hundred dollars. Its a consideration about how long you will live there and how many hours every day that you need to run the AC.

In Phoenix, I'd definitely spring for the cost of a very good forced air unit, but in Seattle? How many hours in the year do you actually need an AC?

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 06-07-2023 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-07-2023, 11:31 AM

17,233 posts, read 57,209,050 times
Quote:
It sounds like you've found a strategy that covers your needs. I've never understood exactly what heat pumps are, and how they work.
A heat pump is effectively a reversible air conditioner. Air to air heat pumps essentially chill outdoor air, extracting some heat from it, and discharge heated air inside the house when in heating cycle. As a thought experiment, consider a window unit installed backwards with the interior side facing out. It chills the outside air and discharges warm air into your room.

Now a water sourced heat pump, operating on well water or a closed loop of tubing buried in the soil, those can get into very high efficiencies because underground temperatures stay pretty much in the 50s year round.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:42 PM

176 posts, read 136,552 times
Our heat pump sits outside on a concrete slab and looks very much like an CAC unit. What I like about it is it keeps our indoor humidity at a decent level during the winter months (no issues with dryness or static electricity). But we usually have to increase the temp about 2 degrees to get the same comfort as we do from our gas furnace bc the air blowing isn't as warm. Our unit is about 15+ yrs old, though, so I think the efficiency/technology may have changed with the newer ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area