Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 02:56 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Bitter, party of one! Toughguy, no need to hop on your soapbox. Lighten up!! Make your day want only YOU can make it and be one with the wonderfulness that is the cosmic meditation known as the Pacific Northwest.

I can only speak for myself, but my guess is that the vast majority of people who have moved to Seattle, liked it - or didn't, at first, and then decided they had enough aren't the whiny, negative, SAD prone, mentally weak people that you are making them out to be.

You don't have to have climate as your first priority, plauged with SAD or mentally weak to be over something about an area. Weather affects people. All over. For all the people that are sick of the rain and clouds, there are the same in numbers complaining about the cold, or the snow, or the sun & heat. ALL of those people can't be climate obsessed mentally weak individuals.

I would even put it out there that most are probably just regular everyday people who haven't found "it" yet....

1. Climate was not my number one priority.
2. I don't have and never had SAD.
3. I am not native, but pretty darn close with family being in the area my entire life and spending many summers (and Holidays) there.
4. I don't just play a toughguy (or gal I guess) on the internet - I am actually pretty tough in real life too - so I wouldn't say that I just couldn't handle it.

So your analysis is off, or simply doesn't apply... either way, you are big on the "sweeping generalizations", Mr. Internet Expert.

I actually liked the weather the first few years I was there, and then... just like with the traffic, congestion, people, density, quality of life and cost of living... I got over it. There are some positives to living in the area, no doubt, but weather isn't the only negative.
LOL!!!! I don't know how I came off as bitter or belittling or grandstanding, but I think you are reading WAY, WAY too much into that post. Is it not fact that it requires a certain mental toughness to deal with our dark, extended winters? How is that even remotely close to an insult? LMAO!

It's OK to be vulnerable to the weather here, that does not necessarily mean you are obsessed with the climate or are a wimp in other facets of life. Just because the weather wears down on your psyche doesn't mean that you are automatically some push over or are weak minded, I never said that. I am a native, and the weather tries my patience too. You have said over and over ad nauseum that you moved for many reasons in addition to your dislike of the climate, which I have never disputed. I just am perplexed at the perpetual whiners on this board, its like even when it's nice out they are in front of their computers trying to find a reason to complain about it - And thats I call obsessed. They use city-data as their personal journal to profess how profoundly unhappy they are, and it's like they are trying to bring everyone else down with them. Inevitably, it degenerates into a the same little group of people congratulating each other and reveling in each other's negativity. We have been going through a historically bad stretch of weather, so it has just ratcheted up to an insufferable level that past few days.

I have stated before that SAD is a mental deficiency, which might be too harsh of a term. It is an inability to handle certain external environmental stresses, and it puts you at a mental disadvantage relative to the rest of the local population. Interpret how you wish.

p.s. your snarky attempt at humor totally fell flat....from one comic to another, seriously you need to work on your material.

Last edited by toughguy; 06-11-2008 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I really take offense at the "mental toughness" statement.

I am one (or used to be) one of the most gregarious, TOUGH, hardnosed, career minded work horse you ever met...

Did I want to become depressed and have what felt like my entire life ripped from me? No! And because of my mental toughness ways I was in denail and thought I could just push through it - but guess what - the first thing that I needed to do to make it feel better was to ADMIT that I had depression - and that it was ok to seek help.
CityGirl, I am genuinely curious. How much of your depression is caused by the weather and other difficulties you have experienced unique to Seattle....and how much of it is caused by homesickness, and your experience of being uprooted against your will? If I recall correctly, it was a career move for your husband, or am I thinking of someone else? I just sense something deeper than just your dissatisfaction with certain things specific to Seattle.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:52 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I have stated before that SAD is a mental deficiency, which might be too harsh of a term. It is an inability to handle certain external environmental stresses, and it puts you at a mental disadvantage relative to the rest of the local population. Interpret how you wish.
Yes, it is a little too harsh and a bit offensive. I don't have SAD per se. I thought I did, but then I learned I had a thyroid problem. I started taking thyroid hormones and the grey and the cold don't affect me anymore. So maybe there was some deficiency causing it, but as it turned out, it had nothing to do with will or mental toughness.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
p.s. your snarky attempt at humor totally fell flat....from one comic to another, seriously you need to work on your material.
Not judging by the reps and comments I got - lol!!! But again, you "true Seattlites" have such a hard time with humor... I'm not surprised it fell flat on you. There, there...

Old 06-11-2008, 04:05 PM

LOL Jenbar, Jenbar. There you go generalizing again. I think if we sat down over some beers, you would find that I'm a pretty funny guy, and laugh at things that are funny.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:08 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
I do tend to laugh at funny things - so you got me there!!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:15 PM

The key word is funny - I laugh at things that are funny. *wink wink*

Old 06-11-2008, 04:23 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Yes, it is a little too harsh and a bit offensive. I don't have SAD per se. I thought I did, but then I learned I had a thyroid problem. I started taking thyroid hormones and the grey and the cold don't affect me anymore. So maybe there was some deficiency causing it, but as it turned out, it had nothing to do with will or mental toughness.
It's not a mental deficiency; it's the way humans were designed. The first humans lived predominantly in sunny climates, and the need for sun has been passed down through hundreds of thousands of years of evolution.

I thought the original comment implying people having SAD have weak minds was offensive too.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
It's not a mental deficiency; it's the way humans were designed. The first humans lived predominantly in sunny climates, and the need for sun has been passed down through hundreds of thousands of years of evolution.

I thought the original comment implying people having SAD have weak minds was offensive too.
I thought I explained myself....Mental toughness in the face of dreary weather is a good trait to have, and if you don't have it, that doesn't equate to being mentally weak overall. Understand?

Years of evolution have produced diverse populations, many of which migrated out of Africa and developed traits in response to the varied environmental stimuli, thus allowing them to thrive, even in cold climates. That is the very definition of bio-evolutionary diversity. You actually probably shouldn't have brought that up because it renders your theory incorrect.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Actually, it isn't that I CAN'T handle it. After all, I've lived here 35 years so I think I've proven that I CAN handle it.

I just don't want to anymore. I'm tired of it. The weather shouldn't be something that you have to "get through" - certainly not when that period that you have to "get through" is more than half the year.

Time for us to move on.

Unfortunately, financial considerations will keep us here for a few more years, but believe me, I am counting the days (so to speak).

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area