Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:40 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,940 times

Advertisements

It seems like most of the regular posters on here are non-natives to the area and I wondering what brought you to Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
My husband and I were high school best friends, he moved to Seattle and went to UW, I moved to Sacramento and went to Sac State - still best friends

It took him 12 years to ask me out on a date. We still lived in seperate cities. When we decided to marry California hosuing market was going nuts.

So my husband bought us a house in Seattle. I moved up, thinking "No one ever says WOW! you are moving to Sacramento!" - but everyone thought I was hip for moving to Seattle.

I moved up and instantenaously hated it. Cried the whole first summer. It's now four years later and with two kids it's hard to get out of here.

Had we just rented, (and no kids were involved in school) I would have asked to move back with in the first couple months.

My husband has said his biggest regret in life was having me move up to Seattle (because I'm unhappy not because of the marriage! HA! )

Old 06-03-2008, 03:08 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
Because of family in the area.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:11 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
I moved here when I was 18 (my family moved to Spokane when I was 16) went to the UW for both undergrad and graduate school. Used to love it here back in the 80's when I could really afford to live here.

My main complaint is that the COL has become so unmanageable that we cannot afford to live here any longer. I've a six year old son and we cannot afford to put money away for his education. Plus, over time, people seem less and less friendly. Also, I've noticed that each year the summers seem just a little bit shorter. Don't know if that is accurate or not or if as I get older, the weather just has more of an impact on me. Plus, all the really wild and crazy friends of my youth have moved on to bigger and brighter places.

Honestly, if I didn't have a husband, kid, and house, I would have been out of here a couple of years ago. That's the thing about having a family. You have to make sacrifices for them and all. I am willing to bet that many of the people that whine on this board (me included!) are anchored here because of family.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,089 times
I moved here... because my mother's womb was located here, and it was convenient.

I'm stranded here because of UW. I considered transferring several times, believe me.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:29 PM

355 posts, read 990,458 times
My husband works for a company that has relocated him all around the country.....it's the nature of the job. We met in FL where we were both living at the time.

I knew that someday, he would relocate again. I was a little hesitant to leave FL since I had worked for the same company for 14 years and my kids were all still living there, although, they were grown. Ah.....but what we won't do for love.

So I moved with him.....Seattle is our 2nd stop in the past 3 years....it won't be our last. In the meantime, my daughter moved here before us so I am happy to be near her again. I'm hoping that someday we are all back in FL again.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM

92 posts, read 218,060 times
I followed some friends out there. Fell in love with the Pacific NW outdoors. Fell out of love with the traffic, crowds and expense and clouds. Moved back to the Midwest to be near family.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:34 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
Default Just realized that you weren't asking why we were naysayers

Okay, so I just realized you weren't asking why we were living here and why were bitchen' about it. <LOL> so, my answers the same but you can disregard my middle paragraph where I am complaining. I guess somehow I caught the naysayer in your title and thought it was part of the question.

BTW, I believe the Seattle Freeze is real and I have lived in several parts of the country and while people here are polite, they are not necessarily very warm. We have many friends here, but the overall vibe on the street is pretty cold. Next time you go for a walk around your neighborhood try making eye contact and smiling at each person you pass by. Then count up how many people smiled back compared to how many people hurried by, pretending not to see you. I expect that in the NE but not here.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:08 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,959 times
Moving this weekend to Seattle, so I guess I can answer this question. In my job search (just graduated college) I eliminated so many places based upon cold weather, natural disasters, and people/culture. Between my fiance and myself, California, the East Coast, South, and Midwest were all out. Didn't leave too many states!

Focused first on Colorado as we both want to move there. Nothing going on there in the job market in my industry so I started applying other places, including Seattle. Got a dream job here so we'll try it out for at least a few years.

Looking forward to some actual weather and clouds, living in a larger city/area, and getting away from the Arizona heat this summer. I would describe myself as very introverted and an indoorsy sort of person, so it may work out well from those points. Fiance will be gone on business more than he will be home. Being optimistic about the move! Seattle sounds like a good fit for us, besides the high prices. That will be tough just starting out as we're spending a lot more than I'd like to on rent.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:37 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,940 times
I'm sorry I started this thread now, it appears to be turning into yet another bash Seattle thread.

Oh well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area