Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 05:07 PM

30,371 posts, read 51,981,374 times

Advertisements

Yep, that question again lol. I'm currently trying to plan a relocation from the Bay Area to Seattle, due to a number of personal reasons. Not really financial, as I have a good job and own a home here. Just time for a new adventure, especially after losing both of my parents in 3 years + my sister and brother not being local anymore.

I am currently interviewing for jobs, and did get one offer out in Aberdeen. Too far from Seattle, and the pay was lousy, so I'll probably decline that offer. I had/have a handful of other virtual interviews lined up this month, with the library systems (I'm a professional librarian) in King County and surrounding areas. Unfortunately Seattle Public has a hiring freeze, but all the other jobs are within a reasonable drive from the city. And if I don't get an offer by fall-ish, I will likely just move up there without one. I can easily support myself for quite a while without a job, especially if I sell my house down here.

Anyway, I am getting to know all the different neighborhoods in my frequent visits. But it's still a bit overwhelming. One of my best friends lives in Ballard but is open to moving, and we do want to live together if at all possible. She doesn't drive, however, so if I want to leave Seattle proper I'll have a hard time convincing her. So let's say I'll be focusing on Seattle itself and maybe the immediate suburbs (like 5-10 miles max). I will likely buy a house once I'm settled, and perhaps even before I get up there - mostly due to the fact that I've got two large dogs and three cats, which will make finding a rental nearly impossible. Guessing my budget will be $750K-ish, but that's flexible for the right place and if I have her to help with the costs. Will have to be a SFH because of the dogs, as they require a fenced yard. Doesn't have to be big, just enough to do their business and run around a little.

My friend and I really love West Seattle, as it has more of a suburban feel without being too far from all the activity. Plus the beach! We spent one day out there recently, and had a really nice time; I got a new tattoo, we had an early dinner at a pub, watched the sunset from Alki, and then randomly found a video arcade where we spent the rest of the evening. So that's the typical stuff we like to do. We're both in our mid-late 40s, she has a boyfriend who lives in Pioneer Square, and I'm currently single (open to dating but not focused on it). No kids for me, and hers are all grown now. And again, I have two large dogs who are rescued huskies, plus three cats who enjoy a little outdoor time if possible/safe.

We both also enjoy live music, particularly bluegrass or folk, and I'm more into nature stuff than she is. Shopping too, but more independent-type shops versus big box stores. Crafts, jewelry, thrift clothes, local fare, etc. I'm a huge fan of street fairs too! And my dogs LOVE to play with other dogs, so a nice dog park or other pooch-friendly spots are great. With all of this information, what neighborhoods or nearby suburbs might fit the bill? Sorry for rambling.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-18-2024 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 05:31 PM

Oh, and just for "demographic" purposes...

Me: Caucasian, cis-hetero, Jewish but not really practicing, politically liberal independent.

Her: Mixed race, cis-bisexual, non-religious, liberal independent.

And we both partake in cannabis + she enjoys legal/therapeutic psychedelics.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:00 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,285,865 times
If you want suburbs: Des Moines (specifically the Redondo Beach area) is kinda similar to West Seattle. So are parts of Federal Way (Dash Point and Brown's Point). You could also check out Edmonds. They are a bit farther than the 10 mile max, but worth checking out.

You might really like North and Northeast Tacoma, too. We almost ended up there, but ended up still in King Co.

But it sounds like you really like West Seattle, so maybe start looking there? Rent before buying I guess.

Best of luck to you-- we made the move from Oakland and are super happy with our decision.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
If you want suburbs: Des Moines (specifically the Redondo Beach area) is kinda similar to West Seattle. So are parts of Federal Way (Dash Point and Brown's Point). You could also check out Edmonds. They are a bit farther than the 10 mile max, but worth checking out.

You might really like North and Northeast Tacoma, too. We almost ended up there, but ended up still in King Co.

But it sounds like you really like West Seattle, so maybe start looking there? Rent before buying I guess.

Best of luck to you-- we made the move from Oakland and are super happy with our decision.
Thank you! I am definitely focusing on West Seattle, just not sure about finding a house (to buy) in my range + enough of a yard for my dogs. I was wondering about Des Moines, so it's good to know that's an option... it might depend on where/if I end up getting a job, but these suggestions are useful to start sorting it all out.

Think I can find a rental with 2 dogs + 3 cats? I can pretend the cats (or at least 2 of them) don't exist, but it's hard to hide huskies. AWOOOOO!

Old 04-19-2024, 07:52 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Hi, Giz. Leaving Santa Cruz County? I can't imagine! But W Seattle's definitely cool. However, IDK how much bluegrass & folk music you'll find. There really wasn't much, if any, when I lived in the area, but that was then, and this is now, so who knows?

I looked at W Seattle RE to see if there was any hope for you with your budget, and there is! I was pleasantly surprised, but these prices probably wont' last long. Also: be careful re: location; too far south toward White Center isn't a good idea. But I found this, in a really nice nabe, close to Alki:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/34...16/home/328728

Finding something roughly within your budget it doable currently, but barely. And I don't know to what extent, if any, bidding exceeds the list price, as is typical around the Bay Area. Ask an RE agent.

Would your bestie be paying rent to you, thereby facilitating your purchase/mortgage payment? Just curious.

I'll be following your story with interest. Best wishes!

Old 04-19-2024, 10:15 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,251,614 times
That is a pretty tough budget for buying a house in most of King County... if you do like West Seattle you might want to focus around the White Center / Top Hat area. You could also look to the east a little bit in Skyway/Bryn Mawr, or go further south into the downtown Renton area.

Regarding renting with animals, my advice is to get them all certified as emotional support animals. I went through the website American Service Pets and got a letter from a Washington-based doctor. In the City of Seattle this is all you'd need. Not sure about outside city limits...

Old 04-20-2024, 12:48 AM

808 posts, read 543,783 times
How committed is your friend to not driving?
I lived in West Seattle with a friend who did not drive.
It starts out with, "Oh? are you going to the store? Can I come with you?"
to:
"Let me know when you're going tot he store next."
to:
"How come you went to the store and didn't tell me!?"

As if I ever go to the store and back again. I always combine grocery shopping with three or four other errands, as well.
Being in a neighborhood without good transit is difficult.

Renton, Des Moines are definitely going to be better for a house with a yard, but it isn't really doable without a car.
(I convinced my roommate to let me teach her how to drive).

I would not be so sanguine about not have a job in your profession. I have a friend who graduated with her Bachelor's from the UW in Library Science two years ago. The only job offer she got was for rural King County, up in the mountains, a good hour's drive away. Each year, there are more graduates looking for work.

Also, my suggestion is to rent an apartment for while in any neighborhood you are seriously intersted in.
there are many sketchy neighborhoods down south where criminal activity is pretty well accepted, but not publicly talked about.
I'm sure there are some lower-cost neighborhoods that are safe, but you are not going to find any figures or data online.

Old 04-20-2024, 12:31 PM

8,074 posts, read 8,380,298 times
I agree that West Seattle can be questionable from a transit perspective. The house at 3429 41st Ave SW to Downtown (3rd & Pike): #50 -> RapidRide C = 48 minutes (Google Maps).

Here's one in Greenwood:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...48740641_zpid/ ($799,950)

To Downtown:#5: 37 minutes.

Close to Carkeek Park, Golden Gardens Park/Beach (Dog Park), Green Lake, Woodland Park Zoo. Live music: Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, U District.

3 beds/3 baths, fenced yard, detached garage, fireplace.

Old 04-20-2024, 02:52 PM

8,174 posts, read 8,317,242 times
Federal Way down south, Everett up north.

Old 04-21-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
How committed is your friend to not driving?
I lived in West Seattle with a friend who did not drive.
It starts out with, "Oh? are you going to the store? Can I come with you?"
to:
"Let me know when you're going tot he store next."
to:
"How come you went to the store and didn't tell me!?"

As if I ever go to the store and back again. I always combine grocery shopping with three or four other errands, as well.
Being in a neighborhood without good transit is difficult.

Renton, Des Moines are definitely going to be better for a house with a yard, but it isn't really doable without a car.
(I convinced my roommate to let me teach her how to drive).
Unfortunately, I don't think she CAN get a license at this time. I don't wanna share her private life without permission, but let's just say she has some legal barriers to obtaining a license.

She's been a non-driver longer than she was a driver, at this point; so she's very self-sufficient and good at getting herself around. We lived together for 4 years in San Francisco, and she didn't have a license/car then either. Never was a problem, and I rarely gave her rides anywhere (if I did it was usually me offering). So I'm not too worried about that part! And if we don't end up living together, that's okay too. It's just one idea.

Quote:
I would not be so sanguine about not have a job in your profession. I have a friend who graduated with her Bachelor's from the UW in Library Science two years ago. The only job offer she got was for rural King County, up in the mountains, a good hour's drive away. Each year, there are more graduates looking for work.
Well, if she didn't have the MLIS (Master of Library and Information Science degree), that would explain the lack of job offers - as most professional librarian jobs require that. Are you sure she only had a Bachelor's Degree? Because UW does offer the MLIS, and I don't even think there's a BA/BS in library science anymore.

I've been a librarian for almost 18 years now, plus the degree; so I've already received multiple offers in WA, NV, and MD. I also have the funds to support myself without a job for quite some time, so that's an added bonus.

Quote:
Also, my suggestion is to rent an apartment for while in any neighborhood you are seriously intersted in.
there are many sketchy neighborhoods down south where criminal activity is pretty well accepted, but not publicly talked about.
I'm sure there are some lower-cost neighborhoods that are safe, but you are not going to find any figures or data online.
I would like to rent first, but I'm worried about finding a rental that will accept and is suitable for my pets. Won't that be an issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area