Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 07:56 PM

41 posts, read 156,090 times

Advertisements

Suggestions on cool neighborhoods? I am in my mid-40's, my kids is 16. We are relocating. I am not so concerned with school district (homeschooler) but we like to be SAFE, be near organic groceries, good food, cute shopping area, arts, etc. We want a diverse neighborhood with diverse activities. Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,880 times
Safety is much less of an issue in Seattle proper than maybe some people are thinking; I've lived all over the East and West coasts and Seattle is far and away the safest place I have lived.

Your sexuality will also not be much of an issue.

When people refer to "diversity" in Seattle, they are primarily referring to the presence of Asians. The black population, by my estimation, is very small (less than 10% of the total population) and is about half East African (Somali, Ethiopian, etc.), a fourth West African and a fourth African-American. Most black folks live in South Seattle (Columbia City, Central District, Rainier Beach, etc.).

My question to you would be, what is your price range (Seattle is expensive)? What kind of stuff are you into? The organic food and arts and whatnot can be found all over the city; I'd need more information to begin to answer your question.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:38 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
A few neighborhoods come to mind that you might like:
Central District, Capitol Hill, and West Seattle. The border of the Central District and Capitol Hill has a Trader Joe's @ 17th and Madison, Capitol Hill also has the Madison Market/Central Co-op, and West Seattle has the Metropolitan market and PCC Co-op.
As far as cute shopping areas, West Seattle has a certain small town in a big city charm, and views that can't be beat. They're all fairly close to downtown.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:01 AM

41 posts, read 156,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC View Post
My question to you would be, what is your price range (Seattle is expensive)? What kind of stuff are you into? The organic food and arts and whatnot can be found all over the city; I'd need more information to begin to answer your question.
Well, considering we live in the SF Bay Area, we are used to selling our soul to devil the for a studio apt. Seattle is very expensive, but it seems that we could get a pretty amazing place for the price we are paying now. I mean amazing in that I LOVE the terrain of Seattle!

I am not a city-girl at heart but I appreciate the ambiance. I am torn between wanting to be close in and able to access what a city has to offer AND wanting to live on one of the islands and growing my herbs and staring at the Sound.

What am I into to? I am a foodie, I like to grow herbs, I love to entertain. I do some ehtnic dance, I am planning to go back to grad school for public health. I am one of those women who has basically raised her kids and now is ALL ABOUT HER!!!!

Thanks

Old 06-08-2008, 04:34 AM

73 posts, read 248,618 times
You sound like you would fit in fine in Capitol Hill or Fremont, although Fremont is rather yuppified these days, and downtown is slowly growing up onto Capitol Hill and gentrifying the area at a very rapid rate. I strongly doubt your sexual orientation would be an issue in any Seattle neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:49 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Seward Park neighborhood has a PCC (food coop) and is described as one-third black, one-third white, one-third asian, with significant Jewish and gay populations. We have two lesbian couples on our cul-de-sac (one with children).

Old 06-08-2008, 03:47 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notswedish View Post
Well, considering we live in the SF Bay Area, we are used to selling our soul to devil the for a studio apt. Seattle is very expensive, but it seems that we could get a pretty amazing place for the price we are paying now. I mean amazing in that I LOVE the terrain of Seattle!

I am not a city-girl at heart but I appreciate the ambiance. I am torn between wanting to be close in and able to access what a city has to offer AND wanting to live on one of the islands and growing my herbs and staring at the Sound.

What am I into to? I am a foodie, I like to grow herbs, I love to entertain. I do some ehtnic dance, I am planning to go back to grad school for public health. I am one of those women who has basically raised her kids and now is ALL ABOUT HER!!!!

Thanks
I'm going to give the nod to Columbia City. It's about as diverse as you'll find in the city, with good bus coverage to the rest of the city (and the UW, assuming you are going there).

What kind of dance are you into? There are tons of dance groups -- ethnic or otherwise -- in the city proper.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area