Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 19,668 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Seattle this spring and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on what sort of area's would be best with a 7 and 12 yr old. I am looking for good schools - I was hoping for something in a new development mabe?? We have been up to Seattle once and looked in the Kirkland, Redmond and Bellevue areas - but I found them to be VERY overpriced.
Any suggestions??????

TIA
Mystery Mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 AM

454 posts, read 905,878 times
First thing we need to know is what you consider a "decent" commute time is. you are correct about the housing prices in the area you looked, but farther outward will impact the commute time, so knowing that you can invest timewise for a commute is the best starting point.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 19,668 times
Thanks for the reply - I would say no more than about 30 - 45 mins each way.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:13 PM

454 posts, read 905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymom View Post
Thanks for the reply - I would say no more than about 30 - 45 mins each way.
Focus North: Bothell, Mill Creek. The commute will be 45 minutes, can be longer on bad days. Best if you can get flexible hours. The homes are a lot less expensive than Bellevue, Redmond, and it is a good area to raise kids.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:25 AM

232 posts, read 995,226 times
Pretty much all area's are great for kids in Seattle.
The area's you mentioned are pretty expensive.
Actually all area's in Seattle are expensive now a days.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:27 AM

103 posts, read 503,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymom View Post
Any suggestions??????

TIA
Mystery Mom
don't move to seattle.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:34 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,964 times
Seattle is great but the schools are not and the commute is horrible. North Seattle is nice and cheaper than Bellevue and Redmond. Try Edmonds, Lynnwood area, but don't expect good schools anywhere in WA, unless you go private or home school.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:41 PM

139 posts, read 1,216,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
Seattle is great but the schools are not and the commute is horrible. North Seattle is nice and cheaper than Bellevue and Redmond. Try Edmonds, Lynnwood area, but don't expect good schools anywhere in WA, unless you go private or home school.
Huh???? I will admit most public schools in Seattle proper are lacking resources but no schools are good in wa??? thats inaccurrate and completely false. My father works at the UW and does research on the local highschools in the immediate area. The Eastside schools are some of the best Edmonds school district is decent and the shoreline schools are good too. Now, the schools in south king county are so-so and the schools in south Snohomish Co. are decent. This person doesn't have a clue???

Old 01-20-2007, 09:02 PM

13 posts, read 67,505 times
Take a look at the morning commute site like Komo.com traffic to see your commute might be in to work. Really no matter the I5 or the 405, 520 or the I 90 bridges are all bad each way and to live close to the city be prepared to dish out some big bucks. Good schools district is the Puyallup. Their test scores have been good. mostly middle class area. Had my Daughter going there for seven years and she did great. But unless your willing to dish out some bucks for a short commute and with all the bad weather we had lately tested our patients and driving skills you might also want to invest in some snow shoes . Most of the time it's not to bad. But we had a really bad fall and first part to our winter. But really look at the local traffic flow maps to what time your working hours are then you kind get the idea of what your going to deal with and what area might look good.

Last edited by seattle sunhine; 01-20-2007 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
Seattle is great but the schools are not and the commute is horrible. .. but don't expect good schools anywhere in WA, unless you go private or home school.
I like the boldness of this poster That will raise some trouble !!! There are lots of educators who will flame to the end (their jobs depend on it !!) and parents too, pride... but in all reality it is a tad too general. I think the Island School district and Pullman are pretty good, and a few in Seattle and elsewhere that are public schools 'awash' in private funding... Ed. foundations taking donated $$ that used to go to help the needy...

We were just having a discussion today about the time spent tutoring for the WASL in WA public schools (so they appear good on the rankings...). The educational professionals were thinking maybe 30-40%, it is now the 'educational program'... We had to quit volunteering in the schools as a family, cuz... they didn't have time for individual reading and math help, - they needed to get the kids trained (conditioned) to take the achievement tests... Very sad, but there is a whole industry in Olympia who depends on this type of inefficiency, too bad it has to translate to our kid's education. But it will be the same with the new CARB emission standards. It will create and entire bureaucracy with hopes to achieve something in 20 yrs that we could have done in 2, with alternative fuels and conservation. tragic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area