Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,623 times

Advertisements

Bostex,

Don't get discouraged, don't let your doubts get you, and don't listen to a word other posters have to say. Folks in my class have had consistent success in finding jobs in the Seattle market, often at many of the larger firms in the area.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-05-2008 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: ok, fair enough ...We'll edit. No personal attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:41 PM

24 posts, read 126,399 times
I never understood why don't lawyers just open a private practice? Traffic attorneys in this area charge $350 just to get a speeding ticket dropped. How hard can it be?

Motion to suppress...granted
Motion to dismiss...granted
Take a nap....granted
$350...granted

I am being a little facetious but it seems like there is a lot of money out there for someone who puts up a website offering reasonable service for a reasonable price.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:07 PM

13 posts, read 48,322 times
Default Another Bitter Seattle Law School Graduate

snowdogging, no offense but you must not know much about the law. The reason why most people don't just open up shop fresh out of law school is because of this little thing called malpractice. I have to totally agree with Jenn here! In law school we're taught to "think like lawyers." Thus, when we graduate there is an extremely high learning curve. Most, if not all, law school graduates wouldn't feel comfortable saying they know what they're doing their first year out. Yes, there are those that are brave enough (or stupid enough) to open a solo practice, but they are also likely to open themselves up to liability while incurring a substantial amount of debt trying to build up their practice (that advertising you're talking about costs money; there's also the cost of office space, and, for most people, paying down law school debt, etc).
I just graduated from Seattle U law school, and I can't really say that it has been worth my while. Fortunately, I've been working full time during law school and my employer has paid for my law school tuition (minus the taxes). Ironically, even though my employer paid for me to attend law school, they will not hire me as an attorney (Jenn was right about this as well). If I had to actually pay for my law school tuition, it would have been the worst financial mistake of my life. The reason why I sacrificed three 1/2 years of my personal time and worked so hard to get through law school was because I thought that all that hard work would pay off in the long run. Those dreams have all but faded. I will likely stay with my current employer in my current, non-legal position because my current pay will likely far surpass the entry level pay at a mid-size firm...that is, if I would be lucky enough to land a legal job in this market. Also, I know that most of my classmates are in the same boat, which leads me to believe that the statistics, which I relied on when making the decision to go to law school, about average starting pay and job placement are skewed (to put it nicely).

Old 08-07-2008, 03:34 PM

24 posts, read 126,399 times
I don't claim to know anything...was more of a question than anything. I didn't recognize the risks so thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area