Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:49 PM

10 posts, read 44,280 times

Advertisements

Hi. My daughter is about to head out to her first job after college. She will be working on the Microsoft campus in Redmond. We are in the early stages of trying to figure out the best way to find an apartment.
She will not have a car at first. I think that she would be most happy sharing an apartment or housing setup with other young kids.

Any advice as to places to start our quest would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Congratulations to your daughter!
I'll give you the quickest info you need. But you should also click on "Search" near the top of any page and look for "MS" posts. Tons of recent threads and posts about living here and working for MS.

Without a car, for at least the first 6 months or so she should probably live in Redmond or Bellevue or Kirkland which are closest to the MS Redmond campus -- many public busses in those areas will take her a half-block from the MS Redmond campus.

Also, MS runs their own connector bus service (click on map to enlarge):
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...ctornewbig.jpg

Here's the combined classifieds for the two leading newspapers covering the area:
http://rentals.nwsource.com/rentals/searchCriteria.asp?p=C&CountyIds=20&CountyIdCount= 1&search2=No
You might also want to check:
craigslist
apartment.com
rent.com
forrent.com
The Stranger
and perhaps Seattle Weekly.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:27 PM

109 posts, read 153,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Congratulations to your daughter!
I'll give you the quickest info you need. But you should also click on "Search" near the top of any page and look for "MS" posts. Tons of recent threads and posts about living here and working for MS.

Without a car, for at least the first 6 months or so she should probably live in Redmond or Bellevue or Kirkland which are closest to the MS Redmond campus -- many public busses in those areas will take her a half-block from the MS Redmond campus.

Also, MS runs their own connector bus service (click on map to enlarge):

Here's the combined classifieds for the two leading newspapers covering the area:
http://rentals.nwsource.com/rentals/searchCriteria.asp?p=C&CountyIds=20&CountyIdCount= 1&search2=No
You might also want to check:
craigslist
apartment.com
rent.com
forrent.com
The Stranger
and perhaps Seattle Weekly.
I agree, without a car, she does not have much choice. If I were you, I would look in the Redmond area near campus. She is a young girl and even if she can take the bus, I would not feel safe having a young lady standing out in the street at night waiting for the bus.

There are plenty of apartments in Redmonds. They might be expensive but she is young and will have a good job so who cares about the cost. Her safety is WAY more important.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:55 PM

Default More thoughts...

Thank you for your responses. We just thought of another idea. Rather than trying to rent a place long distance, maybe this is a better plan:

Find a reasonable "pay by the week" place to stay (somewhere where she can take the MS shuttle to work). Then, once she's out there, she can figure out where to live.

So, anyone know of such an establishment? Thanks, Rich

Old 06-13-2008, 03:12 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Doesn't Microsoft have temporary housing for new employees + real estate agents who go out with you to find a suitable apartment once you're there? They did for my husband a few years back.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 PM

They offered my daughter two options. Option one seemed more suitable for a family moving and looking for a house - lot's of different type of help involved such as moving expenses and such. Option two was a lump sum payment to get out there on her own more or less. The only help involved with option two is a referral to www.aboda.com which we have not checked out yet, but will very soon. It seemed to us that option two made more sense - along with some good research.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:22 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Hi, Rich. Here are two places in Bellevue that rent completely furnished hotel-style studios, complete with small kitchen with microwave, two-burner hotplate, pots, dishes, dishwashing liquid & sponge, TV connected to cable, broadband connection for your own computer, phone with free local calling, and weekly housekeeping services:
The Pacific Inn, furnished apartments downtown Bellevue, Washington
and
Residence Inn Seattle Bellevue: Spacious suites and amenities for longer stays

I know for a fact that both these "inns" (sorta hotel, sorta apartment) take MS employees on a constant basis, so they are familiar with the hours and needs of MS employees. They are both fairly near excellent restaurants and tons of stores, either by walking or by bus.

Each is only a few walkable, safe (day and night) blocks from the main Bellevue Transit Center which is s starting point for busses going to the MS campus. The MS Connector bus service does not -- yet -- pass near the BTC, but the public busses are dependable and comfortable. Also, since there will always be many other MS employees staying at either place, one might strike up an acquaintship and set up a rideshare arrangement with someone with a car.

Do you have the most current link for the MS connector bus service?
Do you see where it says "Lincoln Square"? Both of these inns are fairly near that location, the center of retail Bellevue.

Last edited by allforcats; 06-14-2008 at 02:32 AM..

Old 06-15-2008, 07:02 AM

Thanks allforcats, that was great info....and thank you all again. The Pacific Inn looks like a good temp place, not too expensive. The Residence Inn is super expensive. She hasn't made any money yet!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:51 AM

Default Comparison help please - two places

Hi. Well, we are looking at two possibilities at the moment. Both places look like they are about a 1 - 1.5 mile walk to a MS shuttle.

1. Pacific Inn - Downtown Bellevue
2. East Thomas Suites - Capital Hill

Any thoughts about how the neighborhoods compare. My daughter is 21, as you recall, and just out of college. She has a bit of street smarts.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 06-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Default Capital Hill VS. Downtown Bellevue

Hi. I decided to start a new thread in hopes to getting some quick responses. A decision needs to be made. My daughter is heading out to Seattle for her first "after college" job at MS. She does not know the area so we thought it best that she get a short-term (one month) rental. We have two places in mind that currently are available.

1. Pacific Inn - Downtown Bellevue
2. East Thomas Suitues - Capital Hil.

Both places are about $1500 or so for the month (I don't think she'll find much cheaper - and she needs internet.)

Which area would be the better for her to get her first taste of Seattle - have fun - and be safe?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area