Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 12:28 PM

26 posts, read 82,287 times

Advertisements

As far as racism against Latinos..

(Or whatever term you want to use to describe people of many different races who's only commonality is that they speak Spanish - Mexicans and Central Americans are mostly of Indian/Aztec Ancestry; Dominicans and Panamanians are Black; Cubans and Puerto Ricans are Mulatto; Argentines and Uruguayans are European, etc.)

Again, just another reason to disparage a group and subjugate in order to elevate ones own. If they commit crimes it's because they already feel alienated in this society. Same would occur with any other group in a similar situation. Illegal Immigration? A laughing matter for me since the Pilgrims didn't apply for a green card or a visa when they hopped on the Mayflower floated over here and Invaded America. Just another long line of hipocricy bolstered by the dominant Anglo-European power structure. That's all, It's reality.

In my hometown of Miami "Latinos" distinguish themselves from other "Latinos" and especially from African-Americans and working Class White people who populate the many trailer parks to the north. In general, Hispanics in South Florida are considered wealthy and successful. I was raised in what is considered the wealthiest part of town, mansions, yahts, college degrees. etc.. and rarely spoke English. I was raised with great sense of pride about being hispanic. Not the case in the rest of the country, something I've had to come to grips with, no being comfortable to speak my native Spanish openly without being considered a foreigner, or worse, an Illegal Immigrant!

From what I surmise, In Seattle, Mexicans live mostly outside of the traditional "ghetto" areas of immediate South Seattle and closer to areas associated with transportation and distribution like Seatac, Burien and Tacoma. Just a personal asessment.

Last edited by FelipeHayes; 11-27-2010 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-27-2010, 01:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeHayes View Post
As far as Seattle is concerned, as well as historically the North, They're just good at hiding it and pretending they're not racist so as to align themselves better with who knows what, but the Northerners, Seattlites, what have you, are just as racist and prejudice as any other group of people.. Point blank! If this weren't the case Asians, Blacks, Mexicans would be fairly integrated and evenly spread thoughout all the neighborhoods with no distinction and whites wouldn't only hang out with whites and asians with asians, but this is obviously not the case. I will concede however that it seems less segregated of a city than some others I have studied, slightly!!!
"Studied"... never experienced, leaves a lot to desire...

Quote:

Again, just another reason to disparage a group and subjugate in order to elevate ones own. If they commit crimes it's because they already feel alienated in this society. Same would occur with any other group in a similar situation. Illegal Immigration? A laughing matter for me since the Pilgrims didn't apply for a green card or a visa when they hopped on the Mayflower floated over here and Invaded America. Just another long line of hipocricy bolstered by the dominant Anglo-European power structure. That's all, It's reality.

From what I surmise, In Seattle, Mexicans live mostly outside of the traditional "ghetto" areas of immediate South Seattle and closer to areas associated with transportation and distribution like Seatac, Burien and Tacoma. Just a personal asessment.
You're wrong about the Mexicans, they actually live everywhere... even in Bellevue (and I'm not talking about only the rich ones, there are Mexicans that are here illegally living in Bellevue).

Seattle is a sanctuary for illegal immigrants. It may be a laughing matter over in Miami with you, but here, illegal immigrants can get help, discounted public education and all that jazz.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:11 AM

26 posts, read 82,287 times
It's not that serious. If anyone wants to change their situation for the better, they will. It may not be easy, but it's possible. I like Seattle so much I'm considering moving there, racist or not, which obviuosly its considered an open-mided city for a good reason. I will say this however, alot of the lower income neigborhoods in Seattle seem rather bleak and dreary. Considering it's spectacular location and vibrant economy It should spruce up some of its poorer, more industrial neighborhoods. Portland is a prettier all around city from everthing I've seen and it's working with alot less financial resources than Seattle. There's just no excuse for it.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:14 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
It's not that serious. If anyone wants to change their situation for the better, they will. It may not be easy, but it's possible. I like Seattle so much I'm considering moving there, racist or not, which obviuosly its considered an open-mided city for a good reason. I will say this however, alot of the lower income neigborhoods in Seattle seem rather bleak and dreary. Considering it's spectacular location and vibrant economy It should spruce up some of its poorer, more industrial neighborhoods. Portland is a prettier all around city from everthing I've seen and it's working with alot less financial resources than Seattle. There's just no excuse for it.
The more wealth a city has, the greater the disparagement between the nice areas and the poor areas. LA, NYC, and SF are great examples of this.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:43 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
I will say this however, alot of the lower income neigborhoods in Seattle seem rather bleak and dreary. Considering it's spectacular location and vibrant economy It should spruce up some of its poorer, more industrial neighborhoods. Portland is a prettier all around city from everthing I've seen and it's working with alot less financial resources than Seattle. There's just no excuse for it.

I do not agree with that assessment. My husband grew up in Vancouver and still has family down there, so we are always visiting Portland when we are in the area.

The big difference between Seattle and Portland is simply... Seattle is a city whereas Portland is a big town.

Portland does have less financial resources than Seattle, and traditionally never has a more vibrant economy than Seattle. There are ways about the Portland Downtown core that I personally think Seattle should emulate (food stands, the Max extends much further than our light rail, for instance). The downtown area of Portland is beautiful, thoughtful, and with great ambience.

However... Seattle has PDX licked in terms of neighborhoods. Seattle really is the city of neighborhoods. There isn't a whole lot in terms of poorer and industrial neighborhoods--- definitely some are run down and old so therefor not as popular or desirable... which is generally a great prelude to gentrification.

The inner ring suburbs of Seattle (Eastlake, Wallingford, Ballard, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, W. Seattle, et. c ... and even Beacon Hill and Georgetown-- both gentrification got slowed down by the economy but its happening) are awesome, unique and quirky. You can take away the DT core of Seattle, and these areas will still be interesting. Portland can't even say that. Take away the DT core of Portland, you'll have the industrial wasteland with a mish-mash of old houses and new construction.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:56 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I do not agree with that assessment. My husband grew up in Vancouver and still has family down there, so we are always visiting Portland when we are in the area.

The big difference between Seattle and Portland is simply... Seattle is a city whereas Portland is a big town.

Portland does have less financial resources than Seattle, and traditionally never has a more vibrant economy than Seattle. There are ways about the Portland Downtown core that I personally think Seattle should emulate (food stands, the Max extends much further than our light rail, for instance). The downtown area of Portland is beautiful, thoughtful, and with great ambience.

However... Seattle has PDX licked in terms of neighborhoods. Seattle really is the city of neighborhoods. There isn't a whole lot in terms of poorer and industrial neighborhoods--- definitely some are run down and old so therefor not as popular or desirable... which is generally a great prelude to gentrification.

The inner ring suburbs of Seattle (Eastlake, Wallingford, Ballard, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, W. Seattle, et. c ... and even Beacon Hill and Georgetown-- both gentrification got slowed down by the economy but its happening) are awesome, unique and quirky. You can take away the DT core of Seattle, and these areas will still be interesting. Portland can't even say that. Take away the DT core of Portland, you'll have the industrial wasteland with a mish-mash of old houses and new construction.
Those are neighborhoods of Seattle. A suburb of Seattle would be something like Renton, Kent, Everett,etc.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,956 times
I'm a 30 year old black guy currently living in St. Louis, MO.

I have lived in this city all my life, and I can tell you that racism is awful in Saint Louis.

Yes, there are interracial couples and bi-racial children, but overall the races do not mix very often.

The most diverse area in St.Louis is South City. However, hate groups are very active in this part of town.

Its common to come home after a long day at work and find a newsletter in your mailbox from some hate group.

I have found a pretty good way to find out if a city has a race problem: Craigslist

Check out the "personal ads" and the "rant and rave" sections of Craigslist.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:47 PM

18 posts, read 36,691 times
I too am from the Midwest, and my parents grew up on the Southside of Chicago with similar conditions to what you describe, so I think I understand your feelings. I don't agree with your beliefs, but hope I can still shed some light on what you'll be facing here. Seattle is very different from the Midwest. The population is much more educated and tolerant. There are no "projects" where minorities live, as the overall value of real estate is much higher here. What you will be surprised to see are more Asians than any other minority. People here are overall more liberal politically. I am also surprised by the number of homeless here.

I used to take the bus downtown from the Eastside and it was the most orderly, polite line I have ever stood in. No one cuts in line. People help the handicapped. People are very considerate on the bus keeping their phone conversations low, if at all. Very unlike getting on a bus in Chicago! What is different is on the bus in Chicago, anyone will talk to you. It's not like that here. People don't talk to strangers as much. You will be ostracized for making racist comments and recognize if you make any of these comments at work you will be fired. My advice is give people here a chance. You may want to live on the Eastside as it tends to be a little more conservative than the city. Any neighborhood that you buy in will not be changing into a ghetto anytime soon, so don't have that type of worry. I hope that helps!

Old 12-15-2010, 03:01 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,858,919 times
You will always find a small minority of racist people in all big American cities, including Seattle. Never understood why people ask such questions in 2010. In any big city, you will never have everyone accepting you, and you will also never find a large percent of resident to be racist. In spite of its liberal bent, I would not be surprised if there were the same percentage of racists in Seattle as in other big cities I have been too.

Most large cities are probably liberal anyway.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 PM

304 posts, read 850,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
You will always find a small minority of racist people in all big American cities, including Seattle. Never understood why people ask such questions in 2010. In any big city, you will never have everyone accepting you, and you will also never find a large percent of resident to be racist. In spite of its liberal bent, I would not be surprised if there were the same percentage of racists in Seattle as in other big cities I have been too.

Most large cities are probably liberal anyway.
I have to disagree with this. Nashville is a comparable size to Seattle and it is nowhere near as liberal. Neither is Oklahoma City or even Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area