Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 03:40 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,445,916 times

Advertisements

as someone that's lived there.............white, black and hispanic people in seattle tend to be less racist than any other place that I've ever lived but I will say that most of the asian, east indian and middle eastern people I knew did not like blacks.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:10 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,333,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCMSU View Post
I too am from the Midwest, and my parents grew up on the Southside of Chicago with similar conditions to what you describe, so I think I understand your feelings. I don't agree with your beliefs, but hope I can still shed some light on what you'll be facing here. Seattle is very different from the Midwest. The population is much more educated and tolerant. There are no "projects" where minorities live, as the overall value of real estate is much higher here. What you will be surprised to see are more Asians than any other minority. People here are overall more liberal politically. I am also surprised by the number of homeless here.

I used to take the bus downtown from the Eastside and it was the most orderly, polite line I have ever stood in. No one cuts in line. People help the handicapped. People are very considerate on the bus keeping their phone conversations low, if at all. Very unlike getting on a bus in Chicago! What is different is on the bus in Chicago, anyone will talk to you. It's not like that here. People don't talk to strangers as much. You will be ostracized for making racist comments and recognize if you make any of these comments at work you will be fired. My advice is give people here a chance. You may want to live on the Eastside as it tends to be a little more conservative than the city. Any neighborhood that you buy in will not be changing into a ghetto anytime soon, so don't have that type of worry. I hope that helps!
I'm a Southsider like you, too, and I found it totally refreshing after having lived in the Midwest all my life to come to a city where people actually liked their neighbor no matter what race they were. In Chicago, interracial couples will be ostracized to varying degrees (white male/asian female the least ostracized, black male/white female the most).

Out here, I have never encountered anyone saying anything bad about us being together. Whenever I go back home, I think my family is used to me being with women "of color" as my late Grandfather would say, but I still feel like they would have preferred if I married a white girl. It may be because my children will not only be mixed, but also be less Irish than any other ethnicity, for the first time in family history (other than adopted kids). I don't know why ... they should be used to it as I've dated latina, chinese, japanese, and white girls and brought them home.

It sorta depresses me, which is why I don't go back often. My little sis is the most accepting and one of my little bros is the least accepting.

Everywhere in the Midwest, it's the same. Blacks live in their 'hoods, whites live in the outer perimeters. A few exceptions (Dogtown in St. Louis, near north side in Chicago).

Out here. Not a problem at all. I once asked an Japanese male friend of mine how he felt me "stealing a cute Japanese woman" and marrying her. He's just like "eh ... whatever. Why would you think it's a problem?"

All that being said, I have no idea how asians, latinos, and blacks all feel about each other. I haven't seen or heard any overt tones before here.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,695,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
as someone that's lived there.............white, black and hispanic people in seattle tend to be less racist than any other place that I've ever lived but I will say that most of the asian, east indian and middle eastern people I knew did not like blacks.
Is that attitude from asians limited to the International District.. or just all over Seattle?

Old 01-16-2011, 02:12 AM

304 posts, read 849,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Is that attitude from asians limited to the International District.. or just all over Seattle?
As far as the International District, I have not encountered that type of silliness. I noticed old men staring at me at Uwajimaya in the Chinatown area. I have no idea what they were thinking (nor do I think I want to know).

FYI: Wherever you go you will meet people from who believe in every stereotypical exported American rerun from the 1970s along with wild stereotypes about us in their own media.

As African Americans it's just something we have to ignore. We can waste our time trying to convince these people of our worth, or we can just achieve for our own sake and leave the bumpkins behind while they struggle to attain greater social intelligence. Thankfully there are not too many dorks like that here in Seattle.

Just keep being yourself and you'll find plenty of people here of all races who value you for you.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 AM

72,864 posts, read 62,315,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
My father got the same sentiments about the Seattle. We lived in Everett for a few years while my father was working for Boeing. I certainly liked it and so did my family.
However, there is one thing that does concern me. I recently looked at the latest data for Seattle. The African-American population in the city of Seattle(not the metro, but just the city) has dropped considerably, in raw numbers. To be honest, I found this to be kind of a shock. I knew that there was a slight decrease, but a dramatic decrease was kind of the shock.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,042,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My father got the same sentiments about the Seattle. We lived in Everett for a few years while my father was working for Boeing. I certainly liked it and so did my family.
However, there is one thing that does concern me. I recently looked at the latest data for Seattle. The African-American population in the city of Seattle(not the metro, but just the city) has dropped considerably, in raw numbers. To be honest, I found this to be kind of a shock. I knew that there was a slight decrease, but a dramatic decrease was kind of the shock.
Cost of living increase. Middle class people struggle to afford to live within the city proper.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Cost of living increase. Middle class people struggle to afford to live within the city proper.
But what is interesting is that Seattle's population in general has increased. Seattle's African-American population has increased in most places across the Seattle-Tacoma metro except for Seattle itself. Tacoma is also recording a small increase.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:58 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,042,011 times
Quote:
But what is interesting is that Seattle's population in general has increased. Seattle's African-American population has increased in most places across the Seattle-Tacoma metro except for Seattle itself. Tacoma is also recording a small increase.
Yes, as the population has increased, the competition for housing has increased which has driven up prices. The Central District, which used to be predominantly AA in the eighties now has homes for half a million dollars and higher. People sold their low cost rental houses and the area gentrified. Middle class and lower income people had to relocate to outlying areas.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,279,258 times
Quote:
When I lived in the Central District in the 80's, we were the only white folks on the block, and the Central District as a whole was 80% black. Now it's less than half that. In some cases, people were priced out of the neighborhood, in other cases, they were made offers they couldn't refuse, like my wife and I received in 1998. As Seattle proper's African- American population has dropped, the moves haven't been too far. Skyway, Renton, and Kent have seen big increases in African- Americans.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
When I lived in the Central District in the 80's, we were the only white folks on the block, and the Central District as a whole was 80% black. Now it's less than half that. In some cases, people were priced out of the neighborhood, in other cases, they were made offers they couldn't refuse, like my wife and I received in 1998. As Seattle proper's African- American population has dropped, the moves haven't been too far. Skyway, Renton, and Kent have seen big increases in African- Americans.
Perhaps this is true. This is happening in Atlanta as well. This is also happening in cities where the population is rising quickly. Minneapolis has recording an increase in population for the first time since the 1950's. Incidentally, the African-American population was rising for a long time, until 2000. It has decreased since 2000, where as St. Paul(the capital of MN and the other twin city) and some suburbs such as Bloomington, Broooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Burnsville, and even areas outside of the Twin Cities, such as Mankato, Duluth, and Faribault are recording considerable increases in the African-American population. Where I live, in Kennesaw,GA, was 9% Black in 2000. Now it's 17% Black. I think this is happening mainly on the West Coast and the big Sunbelt cities. It is happening in Miami as well. African-Americans are leaving the city of Miami. People are getting priced out in Atlanta too. Also, in Atlanta, the housing projects are being torn down, so many residents, especially African-Americans, are leaving and moving to the adjacent counties. Clayton County went from 91% White in 1980 t0 20% White in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area