Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainthatingifitistrue View Post
Seattle is very raciest...your just not allowed to say anything about it. It is weird, but true. Case and point - Seattle Police being investigated by the department of justice.
Racism within the police department is nationwide. It happens everywhere, from the PNW, to the Deep South, from New York City, to Los Angeles and everywhere in between. I suspect Seattle is no worse than many cities. In fact, my family and me had more issues with racism living in the Deep South than in the Seattle area.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:41 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVsEast View Post
I'll stop being racist when the majority of criminals in this country stop being black people lol. Part of the reason I want to move to Seattle is because of the relatively low crime rate, and oh guess what they just happen to have a low percentage of african-americans living in the city. I guess thats just a coincedence though. Another coincedence I guess is the highest crime areas in Seattle also have the highest population of african-americans lol. I guess just a racist says these things? It's the truth. It's facts.
Have you looked at the crime maps? Among those neighborhoods with high crime rates are Fremont, Ballard, and the University District. These are neighborhoods with very small numbers of African Americans. Explain that one. Even the link you provided stated that there is a greater connection between income and crime/class and crime than there is race and crime.
So if your biggest concern is that you not become a crime victim, I'd suggest making a lot of money and moving to Clyde Hill or Medina or Mercer Island.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Have you looked at the crime maps? Among those neighborhoods with high crime rates are Fremont, Ballard, and the University District. These are neighborhoods with very small numbers of African Americans. Explain that one. Even the link you provided stated that there is a greater connection between income and crime/class and crime than there is race and crime.
So if your biggest concern is that you not become a crime victim, I'd suggest making a lot of money and moving to Clyde Hill or Medina or Mercer Island.
Also, I used to live in Everett, around 4th Avenue West. From what I'm being told, that area have become very sketchy now. Everett close to 4% Black, and the area I lived in is around 2% Black. It's the area near Discovery Elementary, Voyager Middle School, and Mariner High School.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:53 PM

31 posts, read 67,546 times
ok here's a better link...I have no idea how I got into this conversation...Shocking Black on Black Crime Murder Statistics Revealed in the Wake of Trayvon Martin Shooting | Video | TheBlaze.com...here are a few excerpts from the article.

"as many as 9,000 African Americans are murdered annually in the United States. This chilling figure is accompanied by another equally sobering fact, that 93% of these murders are in fact perpetrated by other blacks."

"the same study reveals African Americans were victims of an estimated 805,000 nonfatal violent crimes in just one year alone. What’s more, blacks comprise roughly 12.5 percent of the U.S. population."

“The vast majority. Well outside the 40 percent of the population it should be. In 2009, the City of Cincinnati did not have a single white victim of a homicide. (That) tells me that we have a subset in the underclass of Cincinnati which is committing a lot of violent crime and they tend to be black. And the reality is, you almost always commit murder within your racial classifications. So when we’ve got a young black man up in the coroners office, it’s almost always a result of another young black man shooting him.”

That same year, 2009, no white men were killed in Cincinnati, but 44 black males and 11 females were the victims of homicide in the city."

Ok so african-americans make up only 12.5% of the country yet they account for the "vast majority" of homicides in this country. I bet if I looked further into it they would also account for the "vast majority" of non-violent(drugs,theft,etc.) crimes as well. These are facts, they are not my opinions.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
ok here's a better link...I have no idea how I got into this conversation...Shocking Black on Black Crime Murder Statistics Revealed in the Wake of Trayvon Martin Shooting | Video | TheBlaze.com...here are a few excerpts from the article.

"as many as 9,000 African Americans are murdered annually in the United States. This chilling figure is accompanied by another equally sobering fact, that 93% of these murders are in fact perpetrated by other blacks."

"the same study reveals African Americans were victims of an estimated 805,000 nonfatal violent crimes in just one year alone. What’s more, blacks comprise roughly 12.5 percent of the U.S. population."

“The vast majority. Well outside the 40 percent of the population it should be. In 2009, the City of Cincinnati did not have a single white victim of a homicide. (That) tells me that we have a subset in the underclass of Cincinnati which is committing a lot of violent crime and they tend to be black. And the reality is, you almost always commit murder within your racial classifications. So when we’ve got a young black man up in the coroners office, it’s almost always a result of another young black man shooting him.”

That same year, 2009, no white men were killed in Cincinnati, but 44 black males and 11 females were the victims of homicide in the city."

Ok so african-americans make up only 12.5% of the country yet they account for the "vast majority" of homicides in this country. I bet if I looked further into it they would also account for the "vast majority" of non-violent(drugs,theft,etc.) crimes as well. These are facts, they are not my opinions.
Bearing that statistic in mind, have you yourself considered that many African-Americans who have the money often leave many inner city areas so that they can find safer places to live. Have you considered that? 9,000 Black men were killed, by another Black man. As bad as this is, that still leaves millions more who didn't murder anyone or who haven't been murdered, who aren't criminals, who just want safe places to live. What would you do if the area you lived in wasn't safe? Middle class Black people are doing what Whites have been able to do for years......leaving the inner city. You asked why so many majority Black areas have high violent crime rates? I think you might want to think about what I'm saying at the moment. Why are so many middle class Blacks opting to live in suburban areas as oppose to areas in the inner city?

Old 09-16-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:

In addition to my last post, I feel I have to ask this. I know you didn't perpetrate these statistics, but being Black myself, I feel like I have to ask this. Do you post these statistics to justify avoiding all Black people, even though who are not criminals?

Furthermore, these statistics do not represent the entire Black population. Which subset of the Black population do you think this is taking place under? Last time I checked, 10 million crimes were committed in 2010. Even if half were committed by Black people(I know, it is large in comparison to their share of the population), this leaves 5 million crimes committed by Black people. There are 40 million Blacks in the USA. This means the majority of Black people in the USA are not committing crimes.

If you want to look at this from a general perspective, rather than a specific and individual perspective, this is what I see from the statistics: Black men are the most likely to BE killed in the USA. If anyone should be fearing for their safety, it is Black men, according to the statistics you posted.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 PM

The way I look at racism, there is racism everywhere. The kind of racism you see might depend on where you live. Where I live, in Paulding County, I feel more of a "know your place" kind of racism here, of the Deep South variety. It isn't voiced as much as it used to be. However, I have sensed it here. In Seattle, I might get a different type. I do know this. I might actually fit in better in Seattle. Many of my interests, things I'm into, my own personal culture, would be found more in Seattle than where I'm living now.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:29 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Green mariner,
You know Atlanta. If eastvswest's theory is correct, any neighborhood full of African Americans is going to be dangerous and crime ridden. So let me ask you: Should one be afraid and clutch their wallets when walking through neighborhoods like Collier Heights, Cascade, and Sandtown, since they are largely black? I didn't think so. They also happen to be pretty rich areas, no?
Within Seattle's city limits, wealthier black folks live near Lake Washington in Madrona, Mt. Baker, Leschi, and Seward Park. Are these crime ridden neighborhoods? Nope. So maybe poverty has more to do with crime than race?

Old 09-16-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Green mariner,
You know Atlanta. If eastvswest's theory is correct, any neighborhood full of African Americans is going to be dangerous and crime ridden. So let me ask you: Should one be afraid and clutch their wallets when walking through neighborhoods like Collier Heights, Cascade, and Sandtown, since they are largely black? I didn't think so. They also happen to be pretty rich areas, no?
Within Seattle's city limits, wealthier black folks live near Lake Washington in Madrona, Mt. Baker, Leschi, and Seward Park. Are these crime ridden neighborhoods? Nope. So maybe poverty has more to do with crime than race?
I wouldn't be afraid if I walked through Cascade Heights. I know about that area. From what I hear, former mayor Andrew Young lives there.

Poverty can play a factor. Adopting a destructive culture can have something to do with it. My guess is that the Black people who live in Collier Heights, Cascade Heights, and Sandtown are not only affluent, but most likely professionals. And from what I hear, expensive neighborhoods to live in.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:42 PM

31 posts, read 67,546 times
Im sorry but the more I look at number's the stronger my case keeps getting. These numbers are unbelievable. African americans make up 12.6% of the country, personally I thought it was much higher then that but from all the sources I can find that is roughly the percentage. Whites make up roughly 72.4%. The 12.6% of aa's occupy about 50% of the total jail population in this country,with latinos and whites splitting the other 50%. So what that means is that the 38,929,313 black people in this country out number the 223,553,265 white people in terms of being incarecerated nearly 2to1. That is crazy! To say that people should not be racially conscious after looking at numbers like those is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area