Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,190 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

If you've already clicked on yet another commute thread, thank you. My wife and I are moving to the area shortly due to a position I accepted at UW. We're interested in living in the Bothell or Lynnwood areas, but we're trying to get a solid estimate as to how long the commute times might be. We'd likely be driving independently, so the HOV lanes are probably out. I'd be working 8-5. How's the 522 around then? Could I anticipate under or over an hour? Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:25 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banon View Post
Hello all,

If you've already clicked on yet another commute thread, thank you. My wife and I are moving to the area shortly due to a position I accepted at UW. We're interested in living in the Bothell or Lynnwood areas, but we're trying to get a solid estimate as to how long the commute times might be. We'd likely be driving independently, so the HOV lanes are probably out. I'd be working 8-5. How's the 522 around then? Could I anticipate under or over an hour? Thanks very much!

I live in Mukilteo which is north of Lynnwood and I work in Downtown Seattle which is south of UW.

I take the 413 or 415 bus from the Lynnwood Swamp Creek park and ride which is about 2-3 min away from the highway. I get on the bus at 6:22. I arrive downtown at 7:02

So with that said, UW should only take you 25-30 min from Lynnwood by bus. With soaring gas prices ($4.45 for 89 octane) and horrendous traffic lock ups on I-5, bus is probably better esp since they use the commuter lane (HOV). Driving wise, I would say it would take 30-45 min, maybe longer if there are more cars on the road.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:59 PM

121 posts, read 535,866 times
The one aspect that many folks don't truly take into consideration about our commute times is not the I-5 time (which although its horribly congested, isn't nearly as bad most days as it could be), its the time it takes to get from your door to the freeway (or Park and Ride).

As far as Driving solo, from Lynnwood I would estimate at least 45 minutes each way. From within Lynnwood, you have to figure 10-15 minutes to get to I-5, and then easily 20+ minutes on I-5, and then another 10+ minutes to get to the UW proper.

From Bothell, I can't guess. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that commute.

Either way, I'd say you can probably keep it under an Hour...but it'll be close. One other thing to explore is the idea of shifting your schedule slightly. I work downtown 7ish to 4:30ish and it makes a huge difference if I leave at 4:30 vs 5:00...at least 10-15 minutes...

Welcome to Seattle...good luck with your new position. As a UW Alum, you are going to work for a GREAT school

Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,477 times
From Bothell, I like to take Bothell-Lake City Way to get to the UW campus. It moves a little slow through the lights sometimes, but there are always alternative routes when something happens on the mainline. Going down I-5, it used to take me an average of about 35 minutes to go from Bothell to the UW area. Sometimes it would take 25 minutes and sometimes it would take an hour and a half.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:49 PM

44 posts, read 167,121 times
WSDOT - Seattle Area Travel Times

Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 AM

323 posts, read 448,669 times
There are 3 park and rides around Lynnwood with bus service to the UW. 35 minutes from Lynnwood Transit Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area