Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:47 AM

139 posts, read 1,216,973 times

Advertisements

This is to sunnyhelena Seattle and San Fran favor each other quite a bit as a matter of fact Seattle is considered by some San Francisco north. Culturally, geographically, and yes climate wise the cities are very similar. The only major difference is that San Fran is still twice as expensive in terms of cost of living. Basically Seattle is a smaller (population wise) cheaper alternative than San Francisco. Also as an add on to my original post Did you Know:

1. Seattle was named the fittest city by mens health and mens fitness magazine. close to 85% of Seattle residents get some form of exercise. Not bad for a city that gets 365 days of rain and it being 50 degrees all the time (wink).

2. Seattle is also one of the best cities for jogging and bike riding according to runner and bicycle magazines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM

534 posts, read 3,111,243 times
Quote:
No other city is in a better natural setting also look what Seattle has given the world in terms of nationwide buisness Boeing the U.S. and its allies in WWII don't win that war without the B-52 bomber, Microsoft revolutionized computer software, Costco, Nordstroms, Amazon.com, etc... We deserve more national respect than what we get!!!!!
Just a funny FYI this past week.

Seattle has ONE company in the top 100 places to work. Starbucks of course (primarily for health care for all employees including PT 20 hours or more).

Microslave and Boering.... Not a great track record imo.

Oregon had two companies on the list. One was a bank, can't remember the other one. I can't even remember who put out the list but it repeats on NWCN every 15 minutes!

Old 01-15-2007, 02:28 PM

Microslave and Boering what are you 12!!!! please elaborate on not having a great track record in terms of employee/employer relationship? I'm interested in what major cities fared better Milwakee, LA, Phoenix, Albuquerque ???? most jobs at Microsoft and Boening are highly specialized jobs where you have to have a certain skill set to even have a job. Starbucks is a Seattle company but sorry you don't have to have any sort of college education to make espresso

Old 01-15-2007, 02:35 PM

61 posts, read 210,552 times
Default Microsoft..

Working in the IT field.. its pretty common knowledge that MS is quite demanding of its employees. An old co-worker/friend of mine just left Microsoft after 6 years for EMC, and he loves it.

MS just needs to focus more on employee work/life balance.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:59 PM

Thanks for elaborating. But still how does that change the fact that Microsoft is a giant in the industry and was a trend setter in the software industry and I don't understand how Boeing being boring has to do with my original post. Regardless without Seattle you don't have any of these things. Seattle and the Pacific Northwest in general deserve more credit than we receive

Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
We are on the Eastside but my son and his girlfriend will be moving to the city next month.. I hope they find a safe place. He is so excited about living right in the city...
This is what cracks me up about suburban people. They act like Seattle is this big city with all of these unsafe, dangerous neighborhoods. Another thing that is so unusual to me is many suburbanites never come to Seattle. When I worked at Boeing in Kent none of my coworkers ever came to Seattle. One lady said she hasn't been downtown since JC Penney left years ago. I moved here from D.C. and started out in this beautiful apt. on Capitol Hill at Republican & Belmont. It was within walking distance of everything. When I told my coworkers where I moved to they thought I was absolutely crazy. HOW COULD YOU!!! ARE YOU INSANE they said. When I move 3000 miles across the country I want to see and experience the new city I moved to. I want to experience culture, nightlife, great restaurants, shopping, art galleries, museums, plays, concerts, walks, parks and festivals. Especially with me being single. Sorry, Apple Bee's, Old Country Buffet, Target, Walmart, strip malls and driving everywhere are out for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: