Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:50 AM

60 posts, read 127,954 times

Advertisements

I'm of South Asian descent and I dated an African American woman in the past and we got stares from everyone, but the worst were the blatant sneering and looks of disgust we would get when we used to walk around in a predominantly African American and Hispanic neighborhood and, unfortunately, I can imagine the same being true in a South Asian neighborhood.

In the neighborhoods that were less homogenous, people of all backgrounds didn't even seem to notice us.

But, some of it might have just been my own self consciousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 AM

474 posts, read 1,453,098 times
It's interesting - I work with many folks of Indian descent. We're clearly in the midst of what can't accurately be called a diaspora given the sheer number of folks in India, but can definitely be called some sort of 'settling' on the West Cost of the US by Indians. And it's fascinating.

I know folks who have assimilated to the US really well who are in arranged marriages. Might seem bizarre to us as natives, but it's eye-opening to learn how the whole thing works. Others retreat into culture-reinforcing activities (tons of Indian festivals and concerts) seemingly to avoid assimilation.

It's all good for the region. The overwhelming northern European influence over the Puget Sound has and will continue to serve us well for the positive traits that come with it, and I'd expect that the Indian, Russian, Chinese and other tech-heavy influences will have dramatic - and largely positive - influences over the next few decades, occasional discomfort aside.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 PM

157 posts, read 305,512 times
I come from an Italian immigrant family (big surprise with my last name, right?). Take almost every criticism about Indians and replace "Indian" with "Italian" and you won't be far off. Seems like every cultural group is like that. Only America embraces the melting pot notion of shedding your ethnic heritage and assuming a new one.

My experience in the Silicon Valley is that there are basically two types of Indians: Americanized, born here, and not rigidly tied to old world norms, and the ones who are here on a H1-B visa to work for a tech firm and will eventually go home. The former are great people, cool, fun to be around, while the latter are highly insular. Since they are not moving here permanently, they don't see a need to set down roots and continue their old country ways and stay with their own because, well, why make friends when you are just going to leave? I'm currently living in the OC and don't plan to stay so I have done nothing to set down roots, either. Why bother when I'm going to say goodbye in a few months?

I think the real dividing line is whether they are here for life or just visiting. If they are just here for a while, don't hold your breath on making friends. If they are American born and raised, you'll find them much more approachable.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:00 PM

719 posts, read 983,589 times
India is a very... insular culture, and not at all progressive. As the recent arrest of their dignitary in NYC proves, they're a society that would likely condone some form of slavery, and their caste system is nearly at that level already. I'm not going to universally condemn them, but by American standards they are a very backwards people, and many of them in the Seattle area have made virtually no effort to integrate.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 AM

367 posts, read 418,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

Truth is, the entire world was always filled with patriarchy, war, class divisions, pollution, racism, etc., etc.
Very true. As people move into the US, they should leave racism, misogyny, etc at home...or go back to where they came from. And if the US doesn't want to protect its citizens/residents from these things infiltrating the country from the 3rd world--perhaps the statue of Liberty should be removed, not to look like a joke...

Old 02-06-2014, 03:36 PM

366 posts, read 643,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw2005 View Post
We are new to Seattle having moved here from the N. VA area. Love the place and the job. However, I have found Asian Indians here very racist and rude. I am black. My wife is from India (east Indian as some folks would say). I hate it when at Bellevue and Redmond scores of Asian Indians stare at us and when we make eye contact and say hello, they will look away. We stay in an apartment where there are many families from India and we have found practically most Asian Indians very unfriendly. No such issues with people from other races or from the Washington area. Come on guys, in today's day and time, is a mixed race couple that rare? By the way, what is it about social skills? Don't people in India say hello? I can't believe one of the big employers here would hire folks without rudimentary social grace.

Overall Seattle is a cool place. Don't want to think iof the winter months
Yeah yeah yeah! Here's the reason people don't like black men dating their women. Because most menfind black women unattractive. If black women weren't considered unattractive then men
wouldn't care because it would be a trade.

Ask yourself why 80 percent percent of all interracial black marriages contain a male? Till black women and Asian men start being found attractive by other races there its going to be tension. Deal with it. You got what you wanted. A non black spouse.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:47 PM

366 posts, read 643,242 times
Like I said before....Americas only true interracial mixture is with latinos. We hold by far the most outmixing. In fact we 50 million hold more mixing than 170 million whites.

No one comments when we mix because:

Hispanic men and hispanic women mix equally. Basically for every good looking, white latina female couple, there is a good looking white female hispanic male couple.

So...white men and basically every other race of men dont get jealous , because that hot white woman can be replaced with a hot latina. Which is a fair trade!

But look at Asian men? Black women...no one really mixes with then because of the attraction issue. So white women get mad because they feel good white guys are being stolen by Asian women and white guys feel white chicks are being stolen by black men.

Bottom line get your game up in your own community. When we date out I'm the latina community there ain't no messed up self hating reasons for it!!

Cause I've dated every race and I still love the women of my own race.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 AM

133 posts, read 252,384 times
adanescobar makes some very interesting points. Due to mass rejection, black females are being forced into homosexuality. My question - Why do Seattle mulattos choose white partners/spouses more often than black? I didn't care about white shrews hating (Dahlia Bakery shrews never showed appreciation for my tips - they thought I was going to take from the jar, racists!!) but seeing so many mulatto females with white guys in Seattle was discouraging for this single negro male - so, I found a big booty black woman in RV and tolerated her BS until I left WA. Nothing on Earth is worse than Seattle loneliness.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,671 times
I had to sign up to just vent abit. my whole community have turned into Indian village, and these people would STARE, and when i tried to say hi, they would quickly look away.

and don't even get me started on the way they operate a motor vehicle.

INDIANS, if you are smart enough to get hired into Microsoft or Amazon, is it that hard to observe and learn how to interact the American way?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:47 PM

291 posts, read 391,140 times
I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience.

Bellevue is a town with many recent immigrants and some of them come from much more homogeneous populations than we have here in the Puget Sound region.

Don't take their amazement / staring personally. Everyone is on his or her own journey. Most people here are very open minded and don't bat an eye at an interracial couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area