U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 AM

73 posts, read 234,579 times

Advertisements

In order not to hijack another post with my theories on Seattle fashion, I thought I'd start my own thread here.

Think back to the way people dressed in the 20's and 30's Pressed suits, derby hats, suspenders, shined shoes. Even poor people dressed with a sense of pride. Even in the 50's if someone dared wear sweatpants in public they had darned well better be jogging! I think the Boomers ruined it for style. Allen Ginsberg said something like (and I'm paraphrasing) "the sixties was the decade that America took off it's clothes". William S. Burroughs responded something to the extent of that he was ready for America to put it's clothes back on! Obviously the word "clothes" is alluding to more than just actual clothing, but I think the idea is still germane.

Think of the way people dress now. What comes to my mind is an over-abundance of corporate labels, track pants, flip-flops, overpriced outdoor gear, socks with sandals etc. My theory is the United States is turning into a nation on slobs. And though this "dressing down" is part of a general overall trend in the United States and Seattle is by no means the only culprit, it is a certainly a big one.

No place besides Seattle or Portland that I know of do you see men with ponytails wearing socks and sandals in fancy restaurants. Women dressing like mountain climbers to go to their day jobs, yuck! It's like every day is casual Friday in this city! Apparently I'm not the only one that feels this way about Seattle fashion:

seattlemanmid_2.jpg (image)

Now I know we can't all go back to wearing pressed suits and fedoras but jeez people dress with some class every now and then!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 12:11 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,277,100 times
Move to D.C. There's a lot of people in suits there.

I'm moving to the West coast because I think high heels, pencil skirts and panty hose are modern day torture devices. You can't do anything fun in high heels.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:19 PM

You are right, those devices are like the post-modern equivalent of Chinese foot-binding.

Call me a sexist pig, but I think knowing that a woman is suffering to look good makes her all the more sexy!

Good thing this forum is anonymous otherwise I'd probably get Lynched by all the angry feminists in Seattle!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:20 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,665,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoman! View Post
In order not to hijack another post with my theories on Seattle fashion, I thought I'd start my own thread here.

Think back to the way people dressed in the 20's and 30's Pressed suits, derby hats, suspenders, shined shoes. Even poor people dressed with a sense of pride. Even in the 50's if someone dared wear sweatpants in public they had darned well better be jogging! I think the Boomers ruined it for style. Allen Ginsberg said something like (and I'm paraphrasing) "the sixties was the decade that America took off it's clothes". William S. Burroughs responded something to the extent of that he was ready for America to put it's clothes back on! Obviously the word "clothes" is alluding to more than just actual clothing, but I think the idea is still germane.

Think of the way people dress now. What comes to my mind is an over-abundance of corporate labels, track pants, flip-flops, overpriced outdoor gear, socks with sandals etc. My theory is the United States is turning into a nation on slobs. And though this "dressing down" is part of a general overall trend in the United States and Seattle is by no means the only culprit, it is a certainly a big one.

No place besides Seattle or Portland that I know of do you see men with ponytails wearing socks and sandals in fancy restaurants. Women dressing like mountain climbers to go to their day jobs, yuck! It's like every day is casual Friday in this city! Apparently I'm not the only one that feels this way about Seattle fashion:

seattlemanmid_2.jpg (image)

Now I know we can't all go back to wearing pressed suits and fedoras but jeez people dress with some class every now and then!
I draw the line on socks and sandals at fancy restaurants too, however outside of fancy restaurants if I want to wear socks with sandals I'll wear socks with sandals, fashion police be damned!

Wearing socks with sandals is actually quite common in Europe, must be where we got it from...

Sandals|Home of Socks and Sandals

Old 06-29-2008, 12:22 PM

355 posts, read 946,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Move to D.C. There's a lot of people in suits there.

I'm moving to the West coast because I think high heels, pencil skirts and panty hose are modern day torture devices. You can't do anything fun in high heels.
Ohhh.....yes you can

Old 06-29-2008, 12:33 PM

Get your mind out of the gutter!

Naw... Keep it there, I like the way you think!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:44 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,488,654 times
...But Seattle is one of the few places where someone wearing shorts and socks and sandals is worth several hundred million dollars.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:00 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,918,771 times
I would kill myself if I had to wear a suit everyday...its just unnecessary expense and with gas prices going up and real wages stagnant really no need to find new ways to suck money out of my pockets. Call me a slob, but call me rich too...

Old 06-29-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Call me a slob, but call me rich too...
Let me guess, new money?

Old 06-29-2008, 01:54 PM

576 posts, read 1,738,740 times
Of course Seattle's a big culprit. Why wear a suit if it's just going to get wet? I know someone's going to counter me with the New York Gets More Rain line that I'm so sick of, but we get the second most days out of any major city where there's measurable precipitation, so you have a really good chance of getting rained on.

I'm also one of those who would kill themself if they had to wear a suit every day. Gets waaaaaaay too hot indoors, especially in a place like here where heaters are far more common than air conditioners. Don't know how it would be if I moved somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: