Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:01 AM

111 posts, read 412,357 times

Advertisements

The solution to all traffic mess in Seattle:

(1) Increase speed limit to 100 mi/hr
(2) Minimum speed limit to 50mi/hr
(3) Throw off the SUV's/trucks/Escalades/hummers into the numerous lakes we have around here
(4) Dissolve the stupid HOV lane that causes traffic congestion, really it does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:34 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
If you had enough SUVs in the lake, they'd fill up the lake and you could drive right across it. Water displacement might be an issue though.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,471 times
I don't know whether liberals would like throwing SUVs in the lake. Sure, we're getting rid of SUVs, but polluting the water and killing sea life too. Eventually SUVs aren't going to be worth their weight in scrap metal though, so people might do that anyway.

Better solution: Convince people not to move here. Less people = less traffic.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:41 PM

Haha, when I meant throwing them off in the lakes, I meant disposing them, not literally :P ... and yeah less people = less traffic

Old 06-30-2008, 01:51 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
I don't know whether liberals would like throwing SUVs in the lake. Sure, we're getting rid of SUVs, but polluting the water and killing sea life too. Eventually SUVs aren't going to be worth their weight in scrap metal though, so people might do that anyway.

Better solution: Convince people not to move here. Less people = less traffic.
An even better solution would be to build better mass transit, encourage people to use that mass transit, put a toll on all the freeways, and discourage the use of the private automobile for commuting purposes.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:57 PM

That's true, and burn all the SUV's; I'd so love that to happen, all the Ford f-250's, and the Escalades, woah, I'd be cheering all over the place!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:20 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
An even better solution would be to build better mass transit, encourage people to use that mass transit, put a toll on all the freeways, and discourage the use of the private automobile for commuting purposes.
There are no freeways, there are highways which people pay taxes to use, I know I do.

Without people having private cars and paying the gas tax, there would no money to pay for the terrible bus system we have and no money to pay for sound transit, which is an even worse pile of junk.

Does the bus system cover the county? Nope, not even close. When you have to walk 10 miles to a bus stop, see how much you will use it, assuming its not a national holiday, then walk 25 miles to the nearest bus stop. Close it down.

The HOV lanes should be got rid of, they increase pollution. Why should a mother with a mini van full of children be allowed to use it? None of the children can drive, how is that helping congestion?

90% of the bus cost is paid by taxes. Increase the bus ticket to $15 and see how many people use them.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
"Does the bus system cover the county? Nope, not even close. When you have to walk 10 miles to a bus stop, see how much you will use it, assuming its not a national holiday, then walk 25 miles to the nearest bus stop. Close it down."

If you want to use public transit to get to work, you have to live near a busline. When we chose our last apartment, we specifically chose it to minimize our commutes: mine by a 5 minute walk to a bus stop, his by car. We didn't pick a place 10 miles from the nearest busline and expect the city to add a new busline to accomodate us. It would be impossible and impractical for a bus system to cover every possible point in the city.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,471 times
Nearest bus stop to me is 10 miles, which is already halfway to most places I go...

Seattle needs a subway system. That's one of the things I really love about Tokyo. You're never far from a subway station, and the trains come every 3-4 minutes. I also found it much easier to navigate. I could basically get on at any station and find my way to any other.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Live near public transportation. Do not move to these far out suburbs and then complain about traffic. Please!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area