Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 03:41 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times

Advertisements

Local News | Seattle police seize marijuana patient files | Seattle Times Newspaper

That sucks. Ever had cancer? Well, now you've got cancer, the cops know where you live and that you use pot. That sucks.

Oh well, like I told my wife, a long time ago.... You're not free in America. The cops can bust down your door and take you and there's nothing you can do about it. It happens all the time. We have an illusion of being free. It's a great illusion and except for the random news report, there's not much to make you think that it is not an illusion. But, an illusion it is.

America is still one of the greatest countries to live in. It beats many other societies by far. And, just like a lot of other people, if a problem occurs, I call the police. What else can you do? If you do it yourself, you open yourself to litigation, castigation and crucification. Hrmmm..vacation, salutation...woops... went on a tangent there, sorry. HA HA HA!

I love America. I don't think taking sick people's medical records made me safer though. Then again, that's just me. There's probably someone right now saying "BURN THEM!! BURN THE CRIMINALS!"

I think marijuana should be legal. Because it criminalizes people. Its a revenue machine. People have been using and abusing drugs for medical and recreational purposes for a very long time. I think I should have the right to kill myself in any way, shape or form I please. Then again, I'm pro abortion. I don't think I have the right to tell a woman what to do with her own uterus. Neither do they have the right to tell me what to do with my twig and berries.

Basically, I thinK I don't like it because it seems like enforced morality. I tend to believe that if something is OK here, then it should be OK there. It can't be "OK" in California and "Not OK" in South Dakota. It just doesn't compute.

Oh well....off my soapbox.

What do YOU think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Washington residents approved legalizing marijuana for medical use, and Seattle residents voted to make marijuana lowest enforcement priority, and even if it's against federal law, local cops shouldn't be used to enforce federal law...This makes no sense at all, and if you've got cancer, or AIDS, or any serious condition that you've become desperate enough to get a prescription from a doctor for medical marijuana...the last thing you need is to know that the cops have gone and seized your medical records. Where was the local leadership on this to enforce the will of the voters? If the Feds wanted these records, they could have used their own people, and if they asked for local co-operation, the police chief or the Mayor could have told them to take a hike.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:43 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,176 times
Take it to court. The police didn't have a reasonable suspicion that a specific crime had been committed and they are medical records, which are protected by HIPAA laws.

The shop owner should have demanded a warrant before releasing the records.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 AM

Local News | State Supreme Court narrows probable-cause grounds in pot case | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 07-20-2008, 12:50 AM

339 posts, read 707,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Local News | Seattle police seize marijuana patient files | Seattle Times Newspaper

That sucks. Ever had cancer? Well, now you've got cancer, the cops know where you live and that you use pot. That sucks.

Oh well, like I told my wife, a long time ago.... You're not free in America. The cops can bust down your door and take you and there's nothing you can do about it. It happens all the time. We have an illusion of being free. It's a great illusion and except for the random news report, there's not much to make you think that it is not an illusion. But, an illusion it is.

America is still one of the greatest countries to live in. It beats many other societies by far. And, just like a lot of other people, if a problem occurs, I call the police. What else can you do? If you do it yourself, you open yourself to litigation, castigation and crucification. Hrmmm..vacation, salutation...woops... went on a tangent there, sorry. HA HA HA!

I love America. I don't think taking sick people's medical records made me safer though. Then again, that's just me. There's probably someone right now saying "BURN THEM!! BURN THE CRIMINALS!"

I think marijuana should be legal. Because it criminalizes people. Its a revenue machine. People have been using and abusing drugs for medical and recreational purposes for a very long time. I think I should have the right to kill myself in any way, shape or form I please. Then again, I'm pro abortion. I don't think I have the right to tell a woman what to do with her own uterus. Neither do they have the right to tell me what to do with my twig and berries.

Basically, I thinK I don't like it because it seems like enforced morality. I tend to believe that if something is OK here, then it should be OK there. It can't be "OK" in California and "Not OK" in South Dakota. It just doesn't compute.

Oh well....off my soapbox.

What do YOU think?
I think that only you and two other people actually care. That's what I think (since you ask). I don't care either. I'm only responding because I came across this and read that you were asking for opinions. I'm just polite that way I guess. Good luck with your continued fight to do whatever though! Maybe you will get more takers in your argument for freedom after the weekend????????

Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 AM

We have laws in this country that are enacted to protect us from unreasonable search and seizure. When the police - and by extension, the government - bypass those laws, then you're moving towards a police state.

It's not in my nature to simply give up my freedom. A lot of people have worked too hard to ensure that we have it.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:58 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
The seized files have been returned, nobody got arrested, and there has been a request made for the police to return the bong and 12 ounces of seized pot..Evidently the police were acting on a complaint from a neighbor who smelled the odor of marijuana...which brings us back to a police state...usually aided by neighbors narcing on neighbors.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:40 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,394 times
I don't know about WA, but in CA, you don't really have to have a medical need to get a medical marijuana license. You just have to find a willing doctor (and many of them advertise in the back of the OC Weekly, which is equivalent to The Stranger).

While I'm totally for the legalization of marijuana, I worry that giving everyone access to it at this point, could backfire and actually harm the medical patients that need it. Because I wonder if the police would crack down harder on it because everyone is buying it. I don't know, though, I haven't heard of anything recently in CA, but I don't really keep up on it.

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area