Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:54 AM

139 posts, read 1,213,887 times

Advertisements

More to add. For all those who judge there movements based on 300 plus days of sun especially in the southwest take note:

No rain equals no water. The poor Colorado river supplies both Southern Nevada (Vegas), Arizona (tibutary rivers Salt and Gila in around Phoenix area) and most of your cities in Socal. With the influx of people and everybody wanting nice green lawns similar to what we have naturally in the pac northwest, water will be a real issue in the not to distant future.

No rain means absolutely horrendous air quality. Phoenix and Vegas are using Socal as there model for urban/suburban sprawl even lovely San Diego in the desert parts. A recent study by Forbes ranks most of Socal with the worse air pollution (long term particulates) in the country with Phoenix, Vegas, and San Diego in the top twenty. Its funny how people will shrug off something like air pollution but make a big deal out drizzle rain and grey days. Call me crazy but I will take grey days over dirty yellowish brown sky and air. The organization I worked for was based in LA and I would sometimes drive from Phoenix to LA, Riverside, and San Bernadino county and vice versa unbelievable how bad the smog was as soon as you hit Palm Springs the air pollution was very prominent. The first time I made the trip I honestly thought it was fog when first driving through the area. The only time the sky was clear was suprise suprise when it rained.

I mentioned this before in my 411 on Seattle thread but I think it is worth mentioning in this thread also, a great deal of respected publications such as cooking light, mens health, and mens fitness have consistently ranked Seattle in the top 5 of fittest cities. This is worth mentioning because of the misconception that it rains all the time and like I mentioned before it is very easy to be out in 40, 50, and 60 degrees with overcast then it is to be out in 90 plus degrees with the sun beating down on you for a reasonable person of course.

In conclusion Seattle/Portland and the Pacific NW have so many positive things going for it that I cannot understand why people foucs solely on the weather. Having lived in the Southwest and Northwest there is no comparison. The only thing the Southwest, in my honest opinion has going for it is 300 plus days of sun and if thats the end all be all for you have at it. Is it any coincidence that a place like LA has gone done hill or attracts the Brittany Spears/Paris Hilton/Kevin Federline types??? I think this is also worth mentioning Seattle attracts the best and the brightest from accross the country and globe for that matter i.e. most college graduates(Seattle is the number one brain gain city). These kind of people could live basically anywhere in the country I think that says alot!!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:04 AM

46 posts, read 598,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattletony View Post
Also Seattle weather is not comaprable to Socal but you can make the arguement that Seattle and the bay area are similar in temperature in most years. On Average, if its 47 in Seattle it is 55 in San Francisco. There is also this misconception that all of California has weather like LA which is totally false. I have travelled many times to Norcal on buisness weeks at a time in the winter and there weather was much like W. Washington/Oregon. Here is my simple rule of thumb rain=green/clean no rain=brown and dirty. Also outside of the beach towns and areas of Socal much of it is desert with the worse air polution in the country. Also places like Vegas and Phoenix are nomans land in the summer. Having sun is great when you can be out in it and enjoy it during the day time. Vegas, Phoenix, and inland Socal get close to 180 days of deathly heat(not exactly family picnic weather) yeah yeah its a dry heat all that means is that your sweat evaporates quicker which can be misleading when it comes to dehydration. So basically you will be living in a refrigerator for 6 months. Seattle truly has four seasons. Look up the word paradise in your dictionary and that basically describes the western part of the pacific northwest. "Garden like conditions"

When I mentioned SoCal's weather being comparable to Seattle. I was not comparing them climate wise. I meant that Seattle probably has the best weather with SoCal/San Francisco Bay area coming in second.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 AM

46 posts, read 598,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
P.S. One thing I do miss is being able to drink water from the tap. I REALLY miss that! I have a built-in water softening unit and an R.O. system in my house here in the desert but it's just not the same as being able to drink water from the tap at any time and having it taste good. --and not having water spots over everything once the water drys. Yeah, that I miss.

funny you should say that... one of the things we LOVE is not only being able to drink water from the tap but to drink COLD water from the tap. You don't need ice here!

I know you are ready for warm after so many years of cold... but that is why I am here...after so many years of HOT I am ready for cool. It is all in how you see it.

As I said...give me green and refreshing anyday. Love opening up the windows and feeling that cool breeze on those summer nights. Instead of trying to keep cool in a hot pool at midnight. Or running the AC 24/7 from April to October every year. And remember getting into your car with out burning your hands on the steering wheel.. Yeah I got that now!!

What has Seattle done to have such a good water system? Here in the South it is not uncommon to have tap water occasionally come out brown. I can't imagine actually having drinkable tap water.

Last edited by CUDavidBanner; 01-21-2007 at 11:59 AM..

Old 01-21-2007, 11:38 AM

232 posts, read 993,055 times
You know...unless you have lived in the cities you talk about... you really have no idea.
For you to say that Atlanta gets more rain than Seattle....come on...I live in GA now...it rains here...but no where near as much as Seattle.
I actually like Seattle and have no problem with the rain.....but it is more than most places.
As for Phoenix....I lived there for 8 yrs....and the weather is not deathly hot...Its hot and you obviously dont want to stay out in the sun all day....that would be deadly anywhere. its called common sense.
When it comes down to it...you just have to decide whats right for you and what you like.
My feeling is....if you don't like the weather somewhere then don't live there.
Don't talk trash about a place just because you don't prefer it.
Geez.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:51 PM

331 posts, read 2,103,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDavidBanner View Post
What has Seattle done to have such a good water system? Here in the South it is not uncommon to have tap water occasionally come out brown. I can't imagine actually having drinkable tap water.
All I can do is guess... so I won't even try to come up with the answer. All I know is the water is good and refreshing.

Is there anyone around who works with the water districts up here that can help out here!!!???

Old 01-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn View Post
You know...unless you have lived in the cities you talk about... you really have no idea.
For you to say that Atlanta gets more rain than Seattle....come on...I live in GA now...it rains here...but no where near as much as Seattle.
I actually like Seattle and have no problem with the rain.....but it is more than most places.
As for Phoenix....I lived there for 8 yrs....and the weather is not deathly hot...Its hot and you obviously dont want to stay out in the sun all day....that would be deadly anywhere. its called common sense.
When it comes down to it...you just have to decide whats right for you and what you like.
My feeling is....if you don't like the weather somewhere then don't live there.
Don't talk trash about a place just because you don't prefer it.
Geez.
From an inches standpoint it rains more in Atlanta than it does in Seattle I have lived in a climate similar to Atlanta in Baton Rouge and believe me I know what it means to get the monsoon rains when you can't even drive. Seattle gets more cloudy days. Phoenix isn't deathly hot???? everything I said about Phoenix was fact. Its funny how someone can come here and make a ridiculous comment like it rains in Seattle 9 months out of the year but when I give accurate knowledge about another place people get all bent off of shape. Phoenix is hot for people who aren't reptiles and with a normal thyroid for close to 180 days. There were years it got so hot planes couldn't even fly out because the temperature was so outrageous. I even seriously debated whether or not I would take my kids out for halloween because it was still 90 plus degrees outside. I'm not trashing another place its just fact just like it rains in Seattle in the winter and early spring.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
When I mentioned SoCal's weather being comparable to Seattle. I was not comparing them climate wise. I meant that Seattle probably has the best weather with SoCal/San Francisco Bay area coming in second.
Sorry didn't understand where you were coming from I will go along with your arguement if you look over a whole year that is reasonable. Alot of people judge Seattle weather based on one season winter. So I agree!! but I'm biased

Old 01-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,110,778 times
Quote:
It's drinkable but didn't taste good to me last time I lived there a couple of years ago. My understanding is that there are two different water sources, one river supplies roughly north of Green Lake and the other river supplies south of it. The north part is said to taste much better though I don't remember actually drinking any in that part of town.

I always had a carbon filter water purifier on my tap, that's the cheapest way to go.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:23 AM

232 posts, read 993,055 times
Tony....You may be quoting "facts" as you call them. I was just saying it's really not deathly hot in Phx...I lived there for 8 yrs. I was outside in the pool almost everyday during the summer. And even outside doing my own yard work. Guess I must be a reptile...LOL.
I currently live in GA....and beleive me it does rain....it comes down heavier here than Seattle when it does rain....but it rains more days a year in Seattle than GA. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. And I was definetly not bent....I actually like Seattle...

Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 PM

scubashawn, my whole argument or reasoning rather wasn't to bash any place but to compare and contrast since Seattle gets compared to these desert places in quality of life. Different strokes for different folks and we can agree to disagree about a place. If weather is the end all be all to you in terms of a place and you prefer 300 plus days of sun which many people in this country do great. However, every thread I have written has been to sell the good points of Seattle that Seattle is more than just rain and grey skies actually the pacific northwest in general. But alas people will hear what they want to hear and see only what they want to see. Scubashawn I'm glad you like Seattle because I love it here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area