Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 26,016 times

Advertisements

Hi, all--

You're an incredibly helpful bunch--perhaps you can help me.

My best friend and I are looking to possibly move to the Seattle in a couple of months. We're both 25 with post-graduate degrees and looking to move to the city for maybe a year or two to get some job/life experience. We're looking to rent a 2-bedroom apartment in the metro area and we're looking for areas that are safely walkable (we're smart and aware, but don't want to feel in danger, even at night), affordable (rents under $1000 if possible), and with at least a few non-chain restaurants/shops.

I've done a little research on neighborhoods already, but we'd love to hear from locals who know these places by heart. What parts of Seattle should we start with in our search? Also, how is Seattle's public transportation system? We'll both have cars, but would love to go a little greener wherever possible.

Where should we begin?
--Alkali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,571 times
Default Off the top of my head...

Transportation within Seattle is quite good... less so as you get out into the suburbs. It's bus-based though, with the pitfalls that come with it.

As for walkable, safe neighborhoods with apartments, I'd look at Wallingford, Madrona, Greenlake, Ravenna, West Seattle (North part - Admiral/California), Columbia City, Ballard. Capitol Hill is the most dense and walkable, but has a bit more 'character' in terms of petty crime. Belltown is super-convenient with lots to do, but comes with downtown ills (homeless, drugs, etc).

Cool that you guys are looking for a different experience - the Northwest is indeed quite a bit different than the Midwest. Both have their pluses and minuses, and it's huge to experience as much of both as you can.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:39 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
I second SaltyDawg's suggestions. And the bus system in Seattle is fabulous, comfortable, dependable, and goes everywhere you can imagine. I've been using Metro for decades to both commute and play.

We usually advise people to live near where they work, as the commute is usually crowded and slow.

Do you have these resources?

Seattle City Clerk's map of Seattle neighborhoods; click anywhere to enlarge:
Seattle City Clerk's Neighborhood Map Atlas

Apartments:
This is the combined classifieds of the two major newspapers; clicking on a location in the map will drill down to neighborhoods:
NWapartments: Seattle apartment rentals, house rental listings, rental classifieds and other property rentals in Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue and other Washington areas, cities and neighborhoods

More on apartments:
Seattle Classifieds
craigslist: seattle-tacoma classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
The Stranger - Seattle's Only Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area