Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,948,329 times

Advertisements

hahahahaha ... well done, allforcats, well done. Doin' our best to keep Californians in California But you forgot one critical point that should give the most pause for reflection by the O.P.:

Seattle is rapidly rapidly rapidly being invaded by Californians, like rats leaving a sinking ship — so becoming more like the California they are fleeing everyday. In no time you'd be waking up back in San Francisco dreaming that you'd moved to Seattle, only to find that S.F. had somehow been transported north.

As for the weather thingy ... no kidding, it really IS as bad as it seems ... if you are weather sensitive, this is one of the last places you want to consider.

Friendly people?! (no, I'm going to stop here)

For genuinely nice people and great weather: try Mexico (really!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 09:28 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,864,230 times
Native Californian here who also lived in Seattle for 10 years and I think San Francisco and Seattle are more alike than different.

On the topic of Starbucks, the quantity of them in Seattle is addictive. Once you move away, it just feels wrong that you have to drive several miles to find one. And even then, they are more likely to be in a grocery store than a standalone location and those grocery store locations aren't nearly as good. My husband complains about this at least once per week.

But back to the OP, based on your wish list, Seattle is not the place to go.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:48 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,874,136 times
Having lived in the Bay Area and now living in Seattle, I would never, ever, under any circumstance leave SF for Seattle.

The houses here are more expensive than you'd think. (We moved here thinking we'd be able to afford a house, only to find that while prices in our old neighborhood in San Diego have dropped drastically, prices in our WA neighborhood, are similar to San Diego prices at their peak $500,000+ for townhomes).

I find the people of SF much, much friendlier than the people in Seattle, except when the weather is really nice here, and then everyone seems really happy and friendly.

I think that SF has more to do than Seattle, though Seattle does have lots of stuff to see.

Overall, though, I don't find the quality of life here that different from CA, and if I had my choice, I'd want to live in the Bay Area.

V. =)

Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,948,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Having lived in the Bay Area and now living in Seattle, I would never, ever, under any circumstance leave SF for Seattle.

The houses here are more expensive than you'd think. (We moved here thinking we'd be able to afford a house, only to find that while prices in our old neighborhood in San Diego have dropped drastically, prices in our WA neighborhood, are similar to San Diego prices at their peak $500,000+ for townhomes).

I find the people of SF much, much friendlier than the people in Seattle, except when the weather is really nice here, and then everyone seems really happy and friendly.

I think that SF has more to do than Seattle, though Seattle does have lots of stuff to see.

Overall, though, I don't find the quality of life here that different from CA, and if I had my choice, I'd want to live in the Bay Area.

V. =)
See, I CAN agree with a Californian! Unfortunately, the reasons aren't great. I loved living in the Bay area ages ago in the military ... hate what it has evolved into. I have history and relationships in CA ... still visit often. I agree Seattle and much of W.WA is no longer much different. Oregon's heading the same.

This is not only limited to the Pacific coast, the east coast has become quite unbearable most of its length — a temperate coastal phenomenon. Native N. Carolinians are appalled at what has happened to their state. S. Carolina is grumbling. What late-night comedians and people all over America most enjoy lampooning as the 'California lifestyle' is really a human-nature thing that follows development of desirable places with nice weather and beautiful surroundings.

As I have written before, what indulgent, coastal California has come to represent to the rest of the U.S., is how the U.S. is perceived in much of the rest of the world. If that is what the O.P. wishes to escape, good for you (IMHO) ... but you will likely have to move inland to do so ... or perhaps to another country. Canada and Mexico are both outstanding, if you can stand Canada's weather and qualify for entrance and find work.

Seattle has become terribly shallow, aggressive, expensive. Old-timers there are also crotchety as hell about the change. You will want to get rid of your California license plates immediately if you go ... or risk the constant antagonism directed at Californians. I am not the exception to an otherwise warm and friendly bunch of mossy Northwesterners.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:01 PM

576 posts, read 1,821,961 times
Quote:
the weather. Is it that bad always?
Quote:
Yes. Some parts of 6 weeks in summer are sunny and warm. The rest of the year it's cold, rainy, cloudy and dark here. People who don't like cold, rainy, cloudy and dark kvetch loudly, constantly and repetitively until they can move somewhere else.
How can you tell how loudly we're kvetching? It's the internet.

I'm sure if we could, all of us who don't like it here would move out tomorrow if they could. But there are things called careers, colleges, families, and housing prices.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 PM

9 posts, read 24,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
See, I CAN agree with a Californian! Unfortunately, the reasons aren't great. I loved living in the Bay area ages ago in the military ... hate what it has evolved into. I have history and relationships in CA ... still visit often. I agree Seattle and much of W.WA is no longer much different. Oregon's heading the same.

This is not only limited to the Pacific coast, the east coast has become quite unbearable most of its length — a temperate coastal phenomenon. Native N. Carolinians are appalled at what has happened to their state. S. Carolina is grumbling. What late-night comedians and people all over America most enjoy lampooning as the 'California lifestyle' is really a human-nature thing that follows development of desirable places with nice weather and beautiful surroundings.

As I have written before, what indulgent, coastal California has come to represent to the rest of the U.S., is how the U.S. is perceived in much of the rest of the world. If that is what the O.P. wishes to escape, good for you (IMHO) ... but you will likely have to move inland to do so ... or perhaps to another country. Canada and Mexico are both outstanding, if you can stand Canada's weather and qualify for entrance and find work.

Seattle has become terribly shallow, aggressive, expensive. Old-timers there are also crotchety as hell about the change. You will want to get rid of your California license plates immediately if you go ... or risk the constant antagonism directed at Californians. I am not the exception to an otherwise warm and friendly bunch of mossy Northwesterners.

Funny, I was just thinking how Canada might be a good fit. I dont mind the cold weather, I have grown to quite like it. Being from Costa Rica, another place invaded by Californians unfortunately, I understand that Seattle natives dislike us. I dislike us too ;-) Like i said, California is way overrated. Sure there are lots of nice people, but there are soo many "strange" people as well. Would rather not raise my son here. This place has no limits. So many girls here, wether they are 4 years old, 14, or 40, wear the least amount of clothing possible , the shortest shorts, the shortest skirts possible, the most amount of make up, and on and on. I know its hot here, but its not hot enough to run around half naked, its embarassing for me as a woman . Its cougar country everywhere i look, and its just the same old thing all the time.. boring! i can do with starbucks and nordstroms in every corner i guess, as long as the people wear some clothes.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:24 PM

40 posts, read 176,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyssocute View Post
Looking for a better life... would you move? Is Seattle a better version of SF? I am so bored here. ...
Would move and did. Housing is cheaper, the municipal government is more reasonable, the politics less extreme, and the scenery is at least as good, probably better. I sold a house in SF and "traded down" to a larger house for less money.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:39 AM

44 posts, read 167,738 times
My husband (then fiance) moved to Seattle from the Bay Area a little over four years ago. We are thinking about moving back to California only because we now have a daughter and want to be closer to our families who are both in the Bay Area. HOWEVER, I think Seattle is better than the Bay Area in almost everyway. Housing is WAY more affordable. Is it cheap? No. It is way less though. We have a totally updated craftsman 3bd/2bath house that worth probably about $650,000 and would top one million in most areas of the Bay Area. We live in the Wallingford/Green Lake so are only 8 minutes from downtown Seattle. Where in the Bay Area could you possibly live that close to a vibrant clean downtown for $650,000??

We have friends that come visit and they are always commenting on house clean the city is, and when I go back to the Bay Area I can not believe how dirty it is, especially the trash on all the freeways. The parks in Seattle are amazing and there are trees everywhere.

I agree with you that the Bay Area is so crowded and you can't do anything without fighting for a parking spot. It is less crowded here BUT the traffic is worse. Hard to believe, but yes the traffic is that bad here.

Also, the weather is as bad as you hear. It rains all the time. There are about three nice months in the late summer but the rest of the year is wet. If that bothers you then don't come here. I do enjoy the seasons though, which you don't get as much of in the Bay Area.

The schools in the city of Seattle are not great. If we were to stay in city we would send our daughter to private school. However, if you move out of the city (Bellevue, Shoreline, Mercer Island, Bainbridge Island) the public schools are excellent.

If I could move both of our families and many of our friends from the Bay Area up to Seattle, we would stay here forever. Unfortunately, they are all down there so we are going to move back to chaos as soon as my hubby gets a new job.

Best of luck. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:47 AM

7 posts, read 36,830 times
Would move and did - in 1997 from the Bay Area to Bainbridge with our then 5 year old daughter. The school system we left was abyssmal. Bainbridge schools are top notch. We couldn't afford to buy a house in CA but found a nice starter home here. Our house cost less than the down payment friends made on their Los Gatos home bought at the same time as ours. Then again, our house isn't worth $2,000,000 now, and theirs is. The epitome of BI traffic is when someone doesn't understand how stop signs work. Bay area traffic - it took days to go 3 exits on HW101 (ok, I exaggerate a little bit).

I go back to the Bay Area to visit - I miss Shoreline Park, the seemingly endless amounts of sunshine, my friends - so I visit. But, if I had the opportunity to move back, I would have to decline. This is home for me. It's a wonderful place to raise kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area