Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 AM

63 posts, read 235,930 times

Advertisements

We have been researching areas like crazy anticipating a possible offer from Microsoft. I keep reading great things about Issaquah and now Klahanie. I realize these are further out than places like Education Hill, which we are also very interested in.

How far is the normal commute from areas like Klahanie? Does the Connector bus go there? Are the schools as good as Education Hill schools? Is there a sense of community?

What about Issaquah Highlands -- same general questions. It seems like people here either love it or hate it, but what about the commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 AM

522 posts, read 2,618,182 times
I would choose the Highlands over Klahanie. They are only a mile apart and Klahanie is getting quite a reputation. We were going to move up there and backed out due to what we were told. I know people who live in the Highlands and love it and love how safe it is.

Here is the latest on Klahanie How low can a thief go? Enough to rob 11-year-olds | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | News

Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 AM

Ok, that is scary for sure! We would live in those areas assuming it is safe...

Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 PM

854 posts, read 4,129,254 times
I noticed driving INTO Klahanie a bunch of low-income-looking-housing. Once you get past that, it gets nicer. Mostly it seemed fine, unless you were close to that "entrance" and the apartments there.

I was also told that Klahanie is sometimes called "Kla-Compton", but that's by rich snobby Bellevue kids, and to take it with a grain of salt.

Issaquah Highlands looked to me a lot like Redmond Ridge -- same idea.

The commute is a bit more painful, but not terrible. It would be nice to be that close to I-90 and have easier access to both Seattle and the Cascades. The painful part is the slog north to Microsoft with everyone else. But there's the Connector system where you take the free MS bus from Issaquah to MS -- it's even got Wifi onboard, so you can be working the whole way to and from work. (Reserving a seat on the Connector can be tricky, but they're working on it. I think that will get better in the future, not worse).

I'd say if you're keen on keeping the budget under 500k, Klahanie is place to consider if you've looked at the stats, talked to potential neighbors in person (we literally rang doorbells and talked to people after putting in our offer but before we were locked-in), and have tested out the commute and find it OK.

Our realtor showed us some townhomes in Issaquah Highlands that were new and nice. Not for us with kid and dog and small backyard, but it was all they had on our budget. Maybe prices have come down.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:29 PM

Thank you!

I have been looking at houses on the MLS for about 2 weeks...today I noticed many, many reductions on houses I had seen, some dropping $70k...so we are hoping prices are declining somewhat.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:16 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,047,446 times
Here's the link for the current MS Connector bus route. Click anywhere to enlarge.
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...ctornewbig.jpg

Old 08-05-2008, 04:07 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,827,805 times
I live in the Highlands, and I love the neighborhood, and the Connector bus does come here, right by the big park and ride.

V. =)

Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I live in the Highlands, and I love the neighborhood, and the Connector bus does come here, right by the big park and ride.

V. =)

Thank you. Any estimates on best/worst/average time on the bus? The Connector does sound great.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,018,343 times
With the Highlands being a stonesthrow from Klahanie, if Klahanie truly is "Kla-compton" ... it's only a matter of time before these evil gangsters of Klahanie head to the Highlands - which literally they could walk to. There is no gate keeping people IN Klahanie.

I lived in Klahanie in 2001 in a 1350 sqft townhouse that we bought for $230k and now sells for over $500k... while I recognize an area can change in 7 years, I find it hard to believe that riff raff are invading a master planned community such as Klahanie. There is no low income housing in Klahanie that I am aware. The condos at the front of one of the entrances (across from the shopping area) are pretty old, maybe the HOA is not as active and enforcing their CC&R's - but at the time we lived there, they were selling for only slightly less than what we bought our townhouse for. Remember, parts of Klahanie I think, are nearing 20 yrs old.

You really aren't comparing apples to apples with Klahanie and Highlands.... one is older and more established, the other being the "new thing" and with a "newer" look and feel to it.

The article provided in this thread could have taken place anywhere on the eastside. The eastside, while safe, and high end, is not immune to crime and random acts of violence happen from time to time. Like anywhere.

I've been on that trail referenced, and while I would feel safe walking it by myself, I don't know that I would let a kid of mine walk any wooded trail on their own. Common sense stuff.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,018,343 times
To my point, the Redmond police blotter for some time in July.... Redmond is a very sought after (and safe) place to live...

Theft, damage, assault, domestic violence, robberies, vandalism... etc...
POLICE BLOTTER - Redmond Reporter

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Crime

Issaquah, WA, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 3. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 3.
Issaquah, WA, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 6. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 3.

Crime

Redmond, WA, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 3. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 3.
Redmond, WA, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 5. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 3.

Crime

Bellevue, WA, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 3. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 3.
Bellevue, WA, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 5. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 3.

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2008 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area