Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:42 PM

18 posts, read 153,162 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all your info. Well we really want to buy so thats what we are shooting for as of today, we are really looking into the eastern suburbs more specificaly Kirkland, Kenmore and Bothell due to overall liveability. In metro Phoenix I have between a thirty to forty-five minute commute so if I can stay within that time limit I don't mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 PM

75 posts, read 344,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt85248 View Post
Thanks for all your info. Well we really want to buy so thats what we are shooting for as of today, we are really looking into the eastern suburbs more specificaly Kirkland, Kenmore and Bothell due to overall liveability. In metro Phoenix I have between a thirty to forty-five minute commute so if I can stay within that time limit I don't mind.
Those areas are nice that you listed. I would focus on Bothell the most. It has better schools and better life for families. I would suggest clocking the time during " a sample" rush hour. I hope you visit before you buy. I think that narrowing it down to areas and then doing a mock run of your commute would give you the best realistic time frame vs. what we all state the time is here on these threads.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Quote:
But I will definitely look into Bothell/Mill Creek
A word of caution - "Bothell/Mill Creek" is different than the City of Bothell. 'The majority of Bothell, and "the city of Bothell" is IN King County, and in the North Shore school district. This is not "Bothell/Mill Creek"... Bothell/Mill Creek is unincorporated Snohomish County. It's not in the city of Mill Creek, not in what most people associate with Bothell, it's not in Lynnwood - it's kind of a "no man's land" in which emergency services come from Snohomish County, not a closer by city, your electricity is served by Snohomish County PUD (read : more expensive than necessary), and is lacking some of the amentities that you would get in a city. There are very little parks within any sort of walking distance, and the neighborhoods are older. In general, it lacks a "community" feel. It is also not extremely attractive, with many of the stores and businesses looking "old" from the outside. It's in desperate need of revitalization.

Additionally, the school district is "Edmunds" and it is NOT a preferable school district. The elementary school is Oak Heights and we had a HORRIBLE - seriously, experience there. The High School is Lynnwood high, and I would NEVER send my child to that school...

I lived there for 3 years - in all honesty, I have nothing good to say about it

If you are looking in "Bothell/Mill Creek" just stick with either/or. Like, IN Mill Creek, or IN Bothell. Bothell/Mill Creek is the area around, and off of 164th, going towards 5, from Bothell/Everett Hwy.

Prior to our experience in Bothell/Mill Creek - we lived in the Klahanie area of Issaquah, and we liked that area VERY much.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
looking forward to an area where my kids will no what its like to experience seasons
Which seasons? The rainy season, followed by the overcast & chilly, but dry season?

I just reread the thread and saw that cost was not a concern to you. In that case, I would look into Redmond - very nice "in town" and nice suburbs. It's expensive - AT LEAST $550k (perhaps more by now) for an older resale home. Though, the older homes in the Redmond suburbs are generally updated and kept looking very nice. The school district (Lake Washington) is considered one of the top districts. The commute, however, will probably be more like an hour since you will be going over the water, and through Bellevue. (I'm assuming your commute will go around the bottom of Lake WA and over 90, then north through Bellevue, to 520)

As I mentioned in my previous post, Issaquah is very nice - good school districts (although, they have had problems in the past with keeping teachers happy and well paid) and a generally nice community and town... the commute again though, very long.

I can't think of any "good" suburb where you won't have a good hour commute. Perhaps West Seattle - but I am less familiar with that area, more familiar with the east side.

On the east side, given the fact that you have children - I would not look outside of the Lake Washington school district, and North Shore.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:47 AM

Thanks for all the info. Not to get off topic and not to sound crazy or anything but I'm really looking forward to a change of scenery and a change of weather and so is my family. My wife and I were born and raised in desert like conditions. My wife is originally from the LA area I'm from the Phoenix area. My best friend lives in Seattle and loves it. I have been on many visits but have actually never lived there but I looki forward to it. I have family still in the Phoenix area so if we ever feel the need in the winter we can just fly down home. I'm getting mixed reviews about the Bellevue school district I thought that Bellevue was upscale can anyone give me accurate info on the city and its school district at least those with experience there.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:57 AM

The information you are getting is correct - Bellevue is mixed. Some areas are very expensive and "well to do". This is the area closest to the water. Some areas are just normal upper to middle class (the areas around Marymoor Park and Redmond) and then some are less desirable. The school district doesn't follow home values so much, because all the homes are expensive - but obviously staying away from the apartment areas and busier shopping areas will get you a better environment. Crossroads and Kingsgate are among some of the neighborhoods I would avoid.

Unless you have special needs children - and assuming you are an involved parent - I would be less concerned with the school district as a whole - and more about the neighborhood.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:10 AM

I have a four year old who will be in kindergarten in the next year so I have been doing my research. I'm still sold on these areas based on research Bothell, Kenmore, and Kirkland but still up in the air about Redmond and Bellevue. I know the Seattle area is well known for its acceptance of interracial couples but what are these specfic above mentioned areas like??? I'm African American and my wife is latino.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 AM

You will be fine anywhere, I think. I am not in an interracial couple, so I can't give first hand experience... but my brother is (asian wife, caucasian husband) and I have not heard that he's experienced anything negative. He lives in Redmond.

I think you will have less of a problem in Redmond and Kirkland. Redmond, with Microsoft being right there - is extremely diverse, keeping in mind that, in general, the Seattle area is not overly diverse when taking into consideration other same-sized metropolitian cities.

Really, the only thing you potentially would see would perhaps someone taking a second glance? Honestly though, I don't think there will be that, even... but of course there is bigotry anywhere...

Bothell (depending on which Bothell you mean) is heading up north, and in my experience, is less progressive - but again, by less progressive, I am taking into consideration that the Seattle area is more progressive than most other cities. You will run into older, less forward thinking people as you go north into Snohomish county - but they will still be the exception, not the rule.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:32 AM

"I have a four year old who will be in kindergarten in the next year so I have been doing my research."

One thing to look into is that *most* school districts do not automatically provide full day kindergarten. Half day is the standard. Full day is offered - but in some districts you have to pay for it monthly, some school districts have a lotto to decide who gets it, etc. For example, the Edmunds school district - it's a month fee. I think we paid $200 a month, or something. Mill Creek has the lotto, that parents camp out for, well over 24 hours.

I don't know what the other school districts offer - but I would check into- that when making your final decision. Consider that kindergarten is coming quickly and the likelyhood that the school district climate for highschools, when your child reaches that age, could be totally different.

With children, I still say that if you are less concerned with the cost of the home - the North Shore and Lake Washington school districts are the only ones I would consider. However, I don't know how they do their kindergarten.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Thanks for your thorough explanation of the area. You are right bigotry is everywhere so I just want to take every precaution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area