Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
18 posts, read 152,698 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

I currently live in the Phoenix area SE valley Chandler and I'm looking to relocate to the Pacific Northwest. Would like to hear from people who may have lived in the Phoenix area and could possibly give me an area comparable to the SE valley or Chandler. My wife and I are social/polictical liberals and the western part of the pacific northwest fits us perfectly. We were deciding between Seattle and Portland but chose Seattle because its surrounded by water and we really want to be near water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2007, 03:19 PM
 
75 posts, read 343,083 times
Reputation: 26
Hi. I was born and raised in the Seattle Area and lived in Gilbert for 5 years. I am now back in Seattle. Are you in Ocotillo? Let me know more specifics in relation to where you live in the E. valley and I can give you better info. I know you said SE Chandler, but give me cross streets. Az is nothing like Wa ( in neighborhoods) this way I can help you the best. Also, what ammenities do you need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
18 posts, read 152,698 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamommy1 View Post
Hi. I was born and raised in the Seattle Area and lived in Gilbert for 5 years. I am now back in Seattle. Are you in Ocotillo? Let me know more specifics in relation to where you live in the E. valley and I can give you better info. I know you said SE Chandler, but give me cross streets. Az is nothing like Wa ( in neighborhoods) this way I can help you the best. Also, what ammenities do you need?
I live right near the fashion square so yeah Ocotillio 85248. However, I will be working in Georgetown I guess south of downtown. Some areas I'm looking into are Kent, Renton, Federal Way Shoreline, Lynnwood, and Edmonds. Would like to live in the suburbs for my family's sake but be close enough to enjoy the ammenities of Seattle. I know the areas I listed are not right on water but close enough. Also what are some good neighborhoods in the city proper thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2007, 05:39 PM
 
75 posts, read 343,083 times
Reputation: 26
I would compare the 85248 zipcode to areas such as Woodinville, Redmond, and Bothell. These are east suburbs. I will tell you that the freeway system here is awful. Traffic is a nightmare. Believe me, Phoenix has got some great freeways and a good commute compared to here. There are bascially no main arterials here. That being said, you will wantto workclose to where you live. I would avoid Kent. Honestly the best places to live suburb wise are the Plateau ( Issaquah and Sammaish), and Bothell/Mill Creek. I would not reccomend the north end however due to you working in the Georgetown area. The Renton Highlands are a good choice also. Historically anything south of Seattle has never been that great. If you want to live by water what about West Seattle? This is a great part of Seattle and close to your work and downtown. NE Seattle is really great too. You are very close to Lake Wash., and services. These zips are 98105, 98115.

Do you have kids? This might change by advice on where to live. The water is generally always close by no matter where you live. You will find most here are liberal comapred to Arizona. You may find yourself a conservative/ moderate here compared to a liberal in AZ.

In terms of convience for services and or goods it will not evern come close to life in AZ. This is a beautiful place just very different from AZ. It's a consumers dream in AZ, here not so much. Some people live in Kitsap county and take the ferry across. You would have water everyday.

After living in AZ and moving back by best advice is... whatever you budgeted add 15% if you move here. Please letme know If I may offer more insight, good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2007, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
18 posts, read 152,698 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamommy1 View Post
I would compare the 85248 zipcode to areas such as Woodinville, Redmond, and Bothell. These are east suburbs. I will tell you that the freeway system here is awful. Traffic is a nightmare. Believe me, Phoenix has got some great freeways and a good commute compared to here. There are bascially no main arterials here. That being said, you will wantto workclose to where you live. I would avoid Kent. Honestly the best places to live suburb wise are the Plateau ( Issaquah and Sammaish), and Bothell/Mill Creek. I would not reccomend the north end however due to you working in the Georgetown area. The Renton Highlands are a good choice also. Historically anything south of Seattle has never been that great. If you want to live by water what about West Seattle? This is a great part of Seattle and close to your work and downtown. NE Seattle is really great too. You are very close to Lake Wash., and services. These zips are 98105, 98115.

Do you have kids? This might change by advice on where to live. The water is generally always close by no matter where you live. You will find most here are liberal comapred to Arizona. You may find yourself a conservative/ moderate here compared to a liberal in AZ.

In terms of convience for services and or goods it will not evern come close to life in AZ. This is a beautiful place just very different from AZ. It's a consumers dream in AZ, here not so much. Some people live in Kitsap county and take the ferry across. You would have water everyday.

After living in AZ and moving back by best advice is... whatever you budgeted add 15% if you move here. Please letme know If I may offer more insight, good or bad.
All your advice has been great. I'm married with two young children. I have done my research and realize that Seattle has a higher cost of living. The only reason I was thinking south was due to my job location. I know anything in the city proper in terms of housing will be expensive. But I will definitely look into Bothell/Mill Creek and Woodinville. Do you know specifics on Federal Way. Honestly cost is not a concern because my salary will go up every year I just want to be in a decent area with decent schools. I know east of city has reputation for being very good so I think I may look into that. The organization I work for has flex hours so I can get there to work anytime between 6-9 a.m. and as long as I get my 8 hours of work in. Looking forward to the move its been a long time coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2007, 12:54 PM
 
5,594 posts, read 18,970,123 times
Reputation: 4816
Hi tt--

If you're considering Federal Way, just be sure to be selective. Parts of Federal Way are becoming undesireable and its schools are starting to get bad reputations.

IMHO, you really can't really compare Federal Way with any of the eastside suburbs or the Bothell/Mill Creek/Woodinville areas. You'll find housing will be quite a bit less expensive in Federal Way but with it comes a higher rate of crime. What wamommy said is true about the suburbs south of Seattle but there are pockets of nice areas in each of those burbs in the southend.

IMO, try to find one of those pockets OR ...as wamommy has said, West Seattle might be a good place to at least look and also Beacon Hill is becoming nicer as time passes. Some places on Beacon Hill, you may even be able to bike to work ...well, maybe not; it'll all be uphill going home!

--'rocco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2007, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Campbell, CA
10 posts, read 33,818 times
Reputation: 23
I live in Phoenix as well, and planning on moving to Seattle by October.
I cant wait.

Pheonix is just not for me. Originally Im from Russia, and I use to culture, educated people, variety of fresh food, and nice weather. Yeah sun is great and all, but 100 degrees from May till October is not great at ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
18 posts, read 152,698 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeR View Post
I live in Phoenix as well, and planning on moving to Seattle by October.
I cant wait.

Pheonix is just not for me. Originally Im from Russia, and I use to culture, educated people, variety of fresh food, and nice weather. Yeah sun is great and all, but 100 degrees from May till October is not great at ALL.
I'm with you, looking forward to an area where my kids will no what its like to experience seasons and culture. Good luck in your move!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2007, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Campbell, CA
10 posts, read 33,818 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt85248 View Post
I'm with you, looking forward to an area where my kids will no what its like to experience seasons and culture. Good luck in your move!!
Thanks, you too buddy!

I cant forget the Pikes Market and Piroshky Piroshky cafe next to it.
Oh man the seafood, and the leaves changing colors.
Going back there for a week in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2007, 02:30 PM
 
75 posts, read 343,083 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt85248 View Post
All your advice has been great. I'm married with two young children. I have done my research and realize that Seattle has a higher cost of living. The only reason I was thinking south was due to my job location. I know anything in the city proper in terms of housing will be expensive. But I will definitely look into Bothell/Mill Creek and Woodinville. Do you know specifics on Federal Way. Honestly cost is not a concern because my salary will go up every year I just want to be in a decent area with decent schools. I know east of city has reputation for being very good so I think I may look into that. The organization I work for has flex hours so I can get there to work anytime between 6-9 a.m. and as long as I get my 8 hours of work in. Looking forward to the move its been a long time coming.


Good Luck on your move. I will tell you that if you live in the northend ( Bothell/Mill Creek) and Woodinville your commute will not be enjoyable. I would focus on parts of Seattle. The eastside has great schools and the best commute, of course you pay for that too. Check out Snoqualmie Ridge. This is a little further than Sammamish/Issaquah. but cheaper prices. Also. the Renton Highlands are nice too.

We are looking to move to the eastside because traffic is awful on I-5. Traffic in Phoenix is NOTHING comapred to here. So look close at where you live. Have you thought about narrowing it down to the community and renting to make sure you really like the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top