Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 02:35 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times

Advertisements

Well our daughter will be attending the University of Washington this fall.

So it looks like our shopping, concert, and going out to dinner trips are going to switch from Spokane to Seattle.

We have really enjoyed having the free wireless internet access in downtown Spokane for the past decade. The city of Spokane set up the network. I can work or surf the net while the family shops and plays.

I assume Seattle has something similar downtown. Does anybody know what it is called and how to access it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:38 PM

658 posts, read 830,426 times
Tacoma has wireless but not Seattle. There are tons of unsecured connections though, so connecting anywhere near downtown or an apartment complex should not be a problem. Same for around the University of Washington. Of course, I would never suggest you should use another person's connection, especially seeing that they are so careless to not secure their connection...

Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Actually you might want to consider lawful availability in Seattle:
Free Wireless Internet (WiFi) Access Points in Seattle, Washington (http://www.auscillate.com/wireless/seattle/ - broken link)
The Seattle Public Library: Computers & Equipment
Seattle To Make A Big Advance In Wireless Internet | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | News Archive
Wireless net to cover downtown Seattle

Old 08-06-2008, 03:11 PM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times
UW has wireless internet on pretty much the whole campus.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:30 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
On the Montana board I made a post titled "can I get in trouble for doing this" Search out this post, there is a wealth if information in the replies and it kind of scared me out of poaching wireless signals. If a city provides it for the folks that is different but it can be risky business using a signal that you don't pay for unless you have permission to use it. Also google "war-driving" much info on all those sites also. I think there are some obscure federal statutes that could be applied to this practice. I do know that there have been people prosecuted for this practice in Florida.

Last edited by Rickers; 08-06-2008 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Rickers, your post was actually in the Computers forum.

I read a lot of the posts but no one referenced an actual court case or law that says connecting to a wireless router that was open access is illegal. One person cited accessing a network without permission was illegal, but I think that'd be hard to convince a jury that you were access the network if you only used it for wireless (those are two different things).

I think this is an area where common sense rules, though, and I'm not convinced that we need a law for every stinking thing that a guy can do. It's sort of like the scooter rule - I never really thought much as to whether it was legal to move someone else's vehicle or not, but figured that was something that people just didn't do. Now they have a law against it.

One thing that makes regulating wireless access is that the FCC is actually in charge of the airwaves and everything that goes on. So state and local goverments can't make it directly illegal because it's the wrong jurisdiction.

Bottom line - if I had the option, I'd go for it!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think I will stay away from "poaching" signals. Somehow that does not feel right.

I did get a chance to talk to an "expert" in the tele-communications business on why Seattle does not have the high tech infrastructure like counties in eastern Washington.

His comments were interesting:

The presence of a high tech industry does not mean high tech services. He said that people tend to confuse the two. For example, Seattle has a lot of high tech businesses that create high tech products, but fewer companies that actually use the services. For eastern Washington, the Public Utility Districts (PUD's) needed the fiber services to manage their infrastructure. The farmers also need the satellite, GPS, and internet services to manage their crops.

His second point was more worrisome. The reason many urban areas do not have the infrastructure is....Corporate Greed and Government Corruption. He gave the example of the local PUD's wanting to provide telecommunication services in addition to electricity, water, and sewer services. Verizon (corporate greed) convinced then Governor Locke and the Democrats through their generous donations (government corruption) and prevented the government owned utilities in eastern Washington from providing tele-communication services directly to the taxpayers.

He provided this link to the only Wi-Fi cloud in operation in the US as far as he knows. Started in 2004 in Umatilla County in Oregon and was up and operational in a very short period of time. It covers many of his points. Where you see the comment about "Politics" in the article, just substitute "government corruption".

USATODAY.com - Biggest Wi-Fi cloud is in rural Oregon

Oh, and he did say that the city of Seattle has been working on providing wireless acess in the downtown core and providing fiber network for several years now. However, they are still talking about it.

Oh well, guess I will just have to take a book to read while in Seattle.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
I would think with all the Star Bucks in Seattle and other coffee lounges that internet access would be everywhere.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Thanks, but we are retired on a fixed income with a kid at the University of Washington.

$5.00 for a cup of coffee...plus wireless connect charges!!!

Wow...$30 right out the window.

Free is an important word to us.

Going out to dinner now means going out to lunch. Ah, for the days of disposable income and the ability to **** away money on worthless items!!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
When I moved to Conrad Montana I kept getting the police departments signal as well as my own. We told the police who are directly next door to our building that their wifi signal was unsecured and they had no Idea that anyone could poach it. Within an hour or two it was secured and the chief was very grateful. I have no problem with paying for services that I want to use. It is just simply the right thing to do. Oh and I did post that on the computer board, my memory isn't what it used to be. What did I just say ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area