Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 05:12 AM

26 posts, read 105,647 times

Advertisements

Good Day,our family has always lived in relatively sunny climates.We are considering a opportunity to move there asap and just spent the last week there which was beautiful and sunny.I have been told though that is only 2 or 3 months out of the year(summer)and the other 9 to 10 can be consistently grey,overcast,etc which can effect your daily mood,etc.If you are a resident do you find that to be true?If it is,I have wondered if that is why coffee is so popular up there to help keep the spirits up to get through some of the gloom months...your honest thoughts would be appreciated.The reason I ask is although sunny enviroments can sometimes be to hot,the effects of the sunlight does produce a positive daily outlook....thx

Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,717,173 times
Have you searched through the Seattle Thread? There are already alot of posts on weather.

Plus remember we have people on this board who love the weather and people who don't.

PS: It's not summer 2 or 3 months - think more 6 to 8 weeks.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...rapy-help.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...in-really.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ditioning.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...questions.html

Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,063,486 times
You are going to get many different answers, I for one love the weather in Seattle and living somewhere where it was sunny the majority of the time would be miserable.

Saying that it is consistently gray and overcast for 9 to 10 months to me would imply that we never see the sun during those months, which is far from the truth.

Our weather and our seasons here are what they are. If one compares our summers to summers in other parts of the country, than no, we don't have long summers, but in my opinion summer here is longer than 6 to 8 weeks.

The same could be said for winter. Our seasons may not be as pronounced as elsewhere in the country, however we do have four distinct seasons.

In the end, there is no way to say whether you will like it here or not without having spent a considerable amount of time experiencing our weather.

To me, the positive things about the area far outweigh any weather considerations.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 AM

223 posts, read 1,276,439 times
This is probably the most discussed question on this board. Just the tiniest bit of searching will answer it completely and thoroughly.

Short answer: If you can't handle gray, cloudy, cool days for the majority of the year, don't come here. This is not an exaggeration, it is simply the way it is. The weather is beautiful here in July and August, a crapshoot in June and September and pretty much cool and damp the rest of the time.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:27 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,786,118 times
The Native Seattlites build houses out of moss and have 14 words for "cloudy"

Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 AM

223 posts, read 1,276,439 times
I can only come up with 10. What else am I missing?

Gray
Cloudy
Hazy
Marine Layer
Partly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Scattered Clouds
Partly Sunny
Overcast
Low Ceiling

And please, moss? That is so 20th century. These days the acceptable building materials are recycled water bottles or recycled Starbux cups.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 AM

478 posts, read 2,306,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
Good Day,our family has always lived in relatively sunny climates.We are considering a opportunity to move there asap and just spent the last week there which was beautiful and sunny.I have been told though that is only 2 or 3 months out of the year(summer)and the other 9 to 10 can be consistently grey,overcast,etc which can effect your daily mood,etc.If you are a resident do you find that to be true?If it is,I have wondered if that is why coffee is so popular up there to help keep the spirits up to get through some of the gloom months...your honest thoughts would be appreciated.The reason I ask is although sunny enviroments can sometimes be to hot,the effects of the sunlight does produce a positive daily outlook....thx
This is the NUMBER ONE asked question in this forum, hands down.

The answer to this question -- each and every time -- is this:

No one knows how one will react to the cloudy weather year-round. The determinants with regard to this decision have very little to do with things that you can control, and everything to do with things like your innate tolerance for the sun (or continued cloudiness), your vitamin D levels, and your susceptibility to SAD. These are genetic markers and comfort levels that people tend not to know until they move to Seattle to try things out.

To that end, Seattle is a wonderful place. And for every person who leaves because of the weather, there are several who stay specifically because of the weather. Many people do love it here, and I would implore you to at least try it out for a year to see if you like it. You can always move if you wish.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,071,500 times
On CBS.com you can now watch old episodes of Twin Peaks Twin Peaks: Watch Full Episodes - CBS.com It was filmed here back in 1990. There are a lot of outside shots. It will give you a sense of the gray here.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 PM

576 posts, read 1,820,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wythors View Post
I can only come up with 10. What else am I missing?

Gray
Cloudy
Hazy
Marine Layer
Partly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Scattered Clouds
Partly Sunny
Overcast
Low Ceiling

And please, moss? That is so 20th century. These days the acceptable building materials are recycled water bottles or recycled Starbux cups.
"Scatted Clouds" means mostly sunny, so that's invalid.

I have some more though:

Sunbreaks (means the sun pokes through a couple seconds at a time every few hours)
Chance of Showers (means it might rain 0.01" or so, but almost always implies cloudy)
Chance of Rain (more rain than chance of showers; still cloudy).
Gloomy
Dark

There, that's 14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area