Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:44 AM

300 posts, read 1,210,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Let me second what Cobalt and Obsidian say about the Renton Wal-Mart...If you can go early in the Am on a weekday, it'll be more bearable, but otherwise it's a zoo...Seems like nobody who works there speaks English, and that the other shoppers are from other planets.
Basically, take the scene from Men In Black where Will Smith gets accepted to the order and the elevator doors open up to reveal the interior of the MIB headquarters; only the agents are wearing blue Wal-Mart smocks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Mountlake Terrace comes to mind. Near cheap movie theatre, not too far from Alderwood Target and Mill Creek Walmart, close to 30 minutes into Seattle. There's a Big Lots in Lynnwood and maybe one closer to MLT. You'll find lower priced ethnic fare and fast food within the area.

It also has a nice pool at the rec center. Value Village is just up the street on Hwy 99 (technically in Edmonds). I'm sure you can fnd thrift stores nearby- there are many in the MLT/Lynnwood/Edmonds area.

Isn't that area getting up into a convergence zone? It seems like nearly every time I drove through that area last winter/spring it was raining or downright pouring when it was simply cloudy or drizzling further south.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 39,777 times
lol! The Walmart comments are hilarious! I'll have to visit it now just so I have a story to tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian97 View Post
Isn't that area getting up into a convergence zone? It seems like nearly every time I drove through that area last winter/spring it was raining or downright pouring when it was simply cloudy or drizzling further south.
Convergence zone? Sounds like something I need to check out. I do love the rain.

Thanks for all the tips, and if there's any more, I'm all eyes.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 18,982 times
If you want to work in Seattle and live in Poulsbo you will go insane. Like a lot of people here. Just kidding - mostly. But it is a long commute. About 2 hours both ways even though a lot of that is waiting for the ferry and riding the ferry.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnony View Post
If you want to work in Seattle and live in Poulsbo you will go insane. Like a lot of people here. Just kidding - mostly. But it is a long commute. About 2 hours both ways even though a lot of that is waiting for the ferry and riding the ferry.

And that's when the ferry is running as scheduled. They seem to have a penchant for crashing them into the dock or having maintenance problems that occasionally bring the capacity of the system down a notch or two.

Man, two hours... wow, that's brutal. I had no idea it was that bad. Is that from Bainbridge?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:31 AM

291 posts, read 948,060 times
I read on another post that Edmonds or Shoreline were two good options. Of course after reading some of your criteria and some posts about traffic, I am not so sure about them. You might check them out though.

wc@h

Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian97 View Post
Yes, that's getting into it- it starts around the King-Snohomish County line. Commuting in rain squalls is part of living in the convergence zone.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:18 PM

22 posts, read 65,661 times
Shoreline is just south of Mountlake Terrace, so you can check them both out at once. It's probably a bit more expensive, but in the area is a cheap theater, some grocery stores, including Costco, Grocery Outlet, Sam's Club, and the Central Market. Aurora Ave. actually has some good and pretty cheap restaurants, especially if you're into Korean/Vietnamese food. Aurora itself is known as a sketchy area, but if you live a ways away in either direction in shouldn't be bad. Heck, I don't think the northern suburbs of Seattle are usually much to be worried about in general. It's not an amazing place to be, but it could very well suit your wants and is about 10 miles from downtown Seattle. It's just north of where traffic usually starts, too, so you have the illusion of being that much closer before you get to around Northgate or the UW and are suddenly standing still, and it's probably just what you're looking for as far as weather goes Note that I went to high school and community college there and currently work there.

Edmonds is a nice area and definitely scenic, but it strikes me as being pretty expensive and actually kinda superficial. Lots of condos, beachfront places, more touristy. The downtown's nice to walk around, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:36 PM

291 posts, read 948,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcl View Post
Shoreline is just south of Mountlake Terrace, so you can check them both out at once. It's probably a bit more expensive, but in the area is a cheap theater, some grocery stores, including Costco, Grocery Outlet, Sam's Club, and the Central Market. Aurora Ave. actually has some good and pretty cheap restaurants, especially if you're into Korean/Vietnamese food. Aurora itself is known as a sketchy area, but if you live a ways away in either direction in shouldn't be bad. Heck, I don't think the northern suburbs of Seattle are usually much to be worried about in general. It's not an amazing place to be, but it could very well suit your wants and is about 10 miles from downtown Seattle. It's just north of where traffic usually starts, too, so you have the illusion of being that much closer before you get to around Northgate or the UW and are suddenly standing still, and it's probably just what you're looking for as far as weather goes Note that I went to high school and community college there and currently work there.

Edmonds is a nice area and definitely scenic, but it strikes me as being pretty expensive and actually kinda superficial. Lots of condos, beachfront places, more touristy. The downtown's nice to walk around, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Thanks! I guess I will keep looking. I really don't want to live in a touristy town. In the spring I will be coming out to look around. It sounds like there are good and bad times to try getting around that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area