Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,647 times

Advertisements

My hubby & I are moving to Seattle in a few months - we are moving downtown for about a year then looking into buying a house. My hubby will be working downtown & doesn't want to commute more than 15 minutes from our home - any ideas on where to look? We're thinking Ballard, Fremont, Capital Hill? How is the public transportation as well? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,054,540 times
First Hill, Capitol Hill, Eastlake Ave. E. or Fairview Ave. E., Wallingford, Fremont, Ballard.
The busses covering those areas are fabulous -- frequent and reliable.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,240,877 times
Capitol Hill is a little closer to downtown than Fremont, and Fremont's a little closer than Ballard, but all of them have good public transit into downtown. I'd also check out West Seattle, which is also very close to downtown and has some amazing views and nice, walkable neighborhoods.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:42 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,735,958 times
15 minutes to downtown is very hard. In fact, I think there are many people who live downtown and can't get to their office in 15 minutes.

At Boeing-Everett, it is said you can't live 15 minutes away because it's a 15 minute walk from the parking lot to the building you work in. I suppose you could live in motorhome and have a 15 minute commute, but that's a different discussion.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,780,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
15 minutes to downtown is very hard. In fact, I think there are many people who live downtown and can't get to their office in 15 minutes.

At Boeing-Everett, it is said you can't live 15 minutes away because it's a 15 minute walk from the parking lot to the building you work in. I suppose you could live in motorhome and have a 15 minute commute, but that's a different discussion.
Well said.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,338,958 times
I live near Jackson Park in North Seattle, and if I drive to work on First Hill (near downtown) my door to desk time is about 15 minutes. I leave home at 6:15-6:30, though.

Commute times from Lake City, the Jackson Park area, Pinehurst, Maple Leaf, and as far north as 175th in Shoreline are reasonable. During rush hour, the Northgate Park & Ride has buses leaving about every 4 minutes to the bus tunnel downtown.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 AM

40 posts, read 175,761 times
Unless you live downtown (no houses) a fifteen minute commute from a house would be a dream unless you do it after 9 or before 5.

Public transportation here is on the bus and I rate the service as fair. I commute from Queen Anne, end of the line, to downtown, and the ride can be 35 minutes to Pike Street, 40 to Pioneer Square. Bus ridership is up since the spike in gas prices so it is taking longer to load and unload buses. Rush hour cost is $1.75, one zone, and will go up at least a quarter in the next few months. It's still cheaper than driving.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:07 PM

24 posts, read 83,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Capitol Hill is a little closer to downtown than Fremont, and Fremont's a little closer than Ballard, but all of them have good public transit into downtown. I'd also check out West Seattle, which is also very close to downtown and has some amazing views and nice, walkable neighborhoods.
Ditto. I just moved to the Admiral part of W. Seattle. I drive, but my gf rides the bus and says it takes 10-15 min on average in the morning. I gotta say, I love W. Seattle. I've lived in Seattle almost my entire life (short of a brief stint in No. California), in nearly every neighborhood and West Seattle is by far my favorite. Such a laid-back feel to it.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,228,367 times
South Park - Not nice, but improving SLIGHTLY
Allentown - A long forgotten "small town" that is improving quickly
Boulevard Park - Not too bad (and again improving)

Are all close to 15 minutes away from downtown via surface streets or freeways

Burien - slightly further away but not much.

Ken

Old 08-20-2008, 11:02 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,240,877 times
The Balfor Declaration is useful...Other neighborhoods 15 or so minutes from downtown include White Center, the Highland Park neighborhood of West Seattle, Skyway and the West Hill of Renton, and within the city limits would include Georgetown, the Central District, Madrona, Leschi, Mount Baker, Chinatown/International district, and North Beacon Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area